We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : What belief system would you place yourself in?
Choice Votes Statistics
Theism 11 13 %
Atheism 9 11 %
Deism 2 2 %
other 59 72 %

123NEXT»
Spirituality of the Nexus! Options

ACTG
#1 Posted : 2/11/2010 9:27:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello everyone!
After spending some time in this wonderful world of knowledge we call the nexus. I couldn't hep but notice that many members are in some way, shape, or form religious. I am very intrigued about the possible interpretations and experiences of DMT based on a persons spirituality. Myself being a Naturalist (materialist, Atheist) find this very interesting especially in regards to spice and how one sees hyperspace when they return. But firstly i am even more curious as to the actual numbers. And what kind of spiritual variety the nexus fosters.
These are very broad so please by all means the true purpose of this topic is to discuss beliefs which cannot be catagorized so if you are none of the above please share with all of us! or elaborate on your choice! Very happy

To clarify:
Theism-in the broadest sense is the belief in at least one deity. In a more specific sense, theism refers to a particular doctrine concerning the nature of God and his relationship to the universe. Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of a God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe.

Atheism-defined most narrowly, is the position that there are no deities. More broadly defined, it is the rejection of belief in the existence of any deities, with or without an assertion that no deities exist. The broadest definition classifies atheism as the absence of belief that any deities exist.

Deism- is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme being created the universe, and that this (and religious truth in general) can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without a need for either faith or organized religion. Deists tend to, but do not necessarily, reject the notion of divine interventions in human affairs, such as by miracles and revelations. These views contrast with a dependence on revelations, miracles, and faith found in many Jewish, Christian, Islamic and other theistic teachings.
(wikipedia)
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." -Edwin Hubble

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

The Traveler
#2 Posted : 2/11/2010 9:31:14 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

I'm missing Agnostic...

Kind regards,

The Traveler

amor_fati
#3 Posted : 2/11/2010 9:36:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

I'm more of an agnostic anti-theist, but there's much more to my spirituality that's not simply defined than what I'm without or against. I'm quite materialist, though derive a sort of spirituality from this. What I really believe in, if anything, is forward momentum and broadening frontiers.

۩
#4 Posted : 2/11/2010 9:36:43 PM

religion and isms are out.

hyperspace is in. everything you need to know about our universe is there, amplified. awaiting the keen eyes, the hands with dexterity, and the glowing blue mouth to bring it back for all to see.

Shamanisms an ism but someone once called it Shamanry and that made me smile.

ACTG
#5 Posted : 2/11/2010 9:39:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

if you could please elaborate on the difference between atheism and agnosticism. I do not see a reason to have both, as one is simply a part of the other. But perhaps there is a case in which i am mistaken. Wut?
ty
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." -Edwin Hubble

۩
#6 Posted : 2/11/2010 9:47:06 PM

I used to be an atheist. THERE WAS NO GOD.
Then you go into hyperspace and all the other spirits laugh at you and make you VERY AWARE of their existence.
Then you're like shit....there's obviously something more...I just don't know what...
So you could call that agnosticism...if you wanted to...

The Traveler
#7 Posted : 2/11/2010 9:51:29 PM

"No, seriously"

ACTG wrote:
if you could please elaborate on the difference between atheism and agnosticism. I do not see a reason to have both, as one is simply a part of the other. But perhaps there is a case in which i am mistaken. Wut?
ty

You really don't know the difference between atheism and agnosticism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
Quote:
Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.[1] Agnosticism can be defined in various ways, and is sometimes used to indicate doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. In some senses, agnosticism is a stance about the differences between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief.

Simply said:
* Atheism: there is no God
* Agnosticism: I don't know if there is a God, or not

Kind regards,

The Traveler

pinche
#8 Posted : 2/11/2010 9:52:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Agnosticism basically means you admit that you dont know,right?Wink

Id like to hear from atheist and theist alike.What secret do you know that makes your belief an absolute fact?

ragabr
#9 Posted : 2/11/2010 10:16:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
I used to be an atheist. THERE WAS NO GOD.
Then you go into hyperspace and all the other spirits laugh at you and make you VERY AWARE of their existence.
Then you're like shit....there's obviously something more...I just don't know what...
So you could call that agnosticism...if you wanted to...

Love this!

Quote:
There is a fourth kind of atheist, not really an atheist at all. He is but a traveller in the Land of No God, and knows that it is but a stage on his journey—and a stage, moreover, not far from the goal....This atheist, not in-being but in-passing, is a very apt subject for initiation. He has done with the illusions of dogma. From a Knight of the Royal Mystery he has risen to understand with the members of the Sovereign Sanctuary that all is symbolic; all, if you will, the Jugglery of the Magician. He is tired of theories and systems of theology and all such toys; and being weary and anhungred and athirst seeks a seat at the Table of Adepts, and a portion of the Bread of Spiritual Experience, and a draught of the wine of Ecstasy.
—Gematria

PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

ACTG
#10 Posted : 2/11/2010 10:22:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Laughing
i do know the difference Traveler.
what i was implying was that Agnosticism and atheism is simply without belief
Quote:
Simply said:

you agree that both of these are without belief which is the defining characteristic of theism.
so agnosticism is essentially a sub category of atheism.
please correct me if my logic is off.

House, have you ever considered how it could be possible that such spirits, elves what have you, manifested themselves without actually existing in this dimension or another?
The human imagination is extraordinarily powerful. have you considered that trips to hyperspace happen entirely within the confines of your skull? i am posing entirely hypothetical scenarios and i do not wish to impose on your beliefs but if you think as i do from time to time: how could the opposite be possible? being a materialist i am convinced that hyperspace is a fascinating realm of human consciousness, thats it. But dont be mistaken this is far from limiting, i explore my mind and define for myself what "I" is!
The possible opposite for me and my predisposed materialist position would be that these places are real. I am in fact communicating or contacting entities and i am viewing the energy and structure of the universe and its multiple dimensions.
Truely we may never know, what we do know is that dmt is a seratonin agonist and a powerful one at that!Shocked what reasons lead us to believe that more than an exceptional modification to normal brain chemistry is occurring? i hope i have expressed my understanding of the subject clearly. i am very interested as to how this compares to others and if anyone feels the same.Wink

ambi-lysergance
#11 Posted : 2/11/2010 10:25:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
religion and isms are out.

hyperspace is in.

lol Laughing genius!!
ambi lysergance is a fictional character who in the realms of fantasy indulges in such topics as science, arts and psychoactive plant induced visions

The Traveler
#12 Posted : 2/11/2010 10:27:56 PM

"No, seriously"

ACTG wrote:
Laughing
i do know the difference Traveler.
what i was implying was that Agnosticism and atheism is simply without belief
Quote:
Simply said:

you agree that both of these are without belief which is the defining characteristic of theism.
so agnosticism is essentially a sub category of atheism.
please correct me if my logic is off.

I see your standpoint.

However, if you look at that wiki link you would see that Agnosticism can be used from both an atheistic or a theistic standpoint.
Agnostic atheism
the view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but do not believe in any.
Agnostic theism (also called "spiritual agnosticism"Pleased
the view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but still believe in such an existence.

So I'm afraid it's not that easy to say that agnostics are without belief.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Shpongle
#13 Posted : 2/11/2010 10:28:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I want to spend a few minutes here in this Bill Hicksian moment.

I think that I'm agnostic :arrow: Razz
I have my reasons, first and foremost I love too much science fiction and have not yet discovered anything beyond human life.

Although my lack of spiritual sense might be due to my stress levels.

Although this is something that is an ongoing issue in my music, so I'm not totally without the idea that there is a god.....however it is much better left as a question I think than it is summarized with an answer.

Confused
A great deal of meditation is required

Fear the Journey not the cops

FunFUnFUN

sunshineandsmiles
#14 Posted : 2/11/2010 10:29:57 PM

Sol-Id

I like thinking, I love playing with concepts...but I know that I don't really have a clue what's going on.
TIME WILL TELL...

pinche
#15 Posted : 2/11/2010 10:31:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

what reasons lead us to believe that more than an exceptional modification to normal brain chemistry is occurring?

Have you ever been to hyperspace?Wink

There is nothing but the material world we see.How do you know this for certain?

ACTG
#16 Posted : 2/11/2010 10:32:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ahh yes traveler thank you
that makes sense!
i suppose i should have done more reading before handEmbarrased

ACTG
#17 Posted : 2/11/2010 10:46:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ah yes pinche i have quite a few times! swim has extracted, so on and so forth...

my understanding of the world goes beyond the material.
im sure many here know that all matter is energy(in the form of atoms and their subatomic particles)
a fun thing i like to think about is how ridiculous mathematics is! quantizing everything? when everything is just the same but pushed apart in their own little complex ways. it seems superficial at times.
The interactions of these particles is the material world we inhabit and which we are a part of! sometimes this is how i interpret or imagine the hyperspace geometry fractals etc. primarily what i see on mushies (hyperspace would be anouther dimension Razz.)
but there is nothing to show that there is more.
a simple way to think of it is that There must be a medium for information to travel across.
otherwise it would just be a soup of energy!
the universe is confined in what can happen by the finite interactions of matter.
we certainly do not know even the slightest about these interactions on the larger and smaller scale (big bang, quarks etc.)
but we do know what can and cant happen on our scale Cool .
i dont know if that makes any sense. i sometimes have trouble describing things to people without prior knowledge of such things. i assume

amor_fati
#18 Posted : 2/11/2010 11:31:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

My take on agnosticism is that I don't know of any god. Someone put the idea out there, however, and I'm thoroughly against it; thus, my anti-theist attitude in the matter.

pinche
#19 Posted : 2/11/2010 11:50:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good arguement ACTG.Very happy But there are good arguements all around.

The only conclusion i can make is: I dont know. I can believe things based on my experience of life.But its just my small perspective.

Apparently you do know.It must be comforting.

#20 Posted : 2/12/2010 12:23:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe that consciousness and reality are inseparable.

I also believe that consciousness is shared, and exists outside of the time/space construct that we know.

In that sense I believe that the universe is bound and created by consciousness.

But I don't know if consciousness evolved from life, or if life evolved to join in consciousness.

SO I guess that makes me gnostic (the opposite of agnostic, rather than a typo ) - I believe there is secret or hidden knowledge which leads to enlightenment. And obviously since I'm here, I think I've found the key to the library where this gnostic knowledge resides Smile
"at journey's end, we must begin again"

123NEXT»