We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pain in back of throat when eating Peyote Options

RhythmSpring
#1 Posted : 4/4/2022 4:08:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,
Whenever I eat Peyote, I get a sharp pain in the back of my throat. It almost feels like a lesion or blister of some sort. Does anybody know what this is? It's quite worrisome, and prevents me from eating more.

~RS
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

starway7
#2 Posted : 4/6/2022 12:42:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

RhythmSpring wrote:
Hi,
Whenever I eat Peyote, I get a sharp pain in the back of my throat. It almost feels like a lesion or blister of some sort. Does anybody know what this is? It's quite worrisome, and prevents me from eating more.

~RS

Peyote is a cactus...does it have tiny hair spines?

RhythmSpring
#3 Posted : 4/6/2022 1:34:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Please... Lol, no, Peyote does not have spines, and if it did, I would be smart enough to know that I was being poked. It seems more like a biochemical reaction.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 4/9/2022 10:08:10 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I think starway was suggesting that the peyote hairs can become more spine-like on sensitive tissue like the back of the throat. In a similar vein, needle-like calcium oxalate microcrystals are responsible for the throat-irritating effects of dumb cane (Dieffenbachia spp.) so I can see a parallel there. I don't know if calcium oxalate crystals are recorded for peyote. Was yours fresh or dried?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

RhythmSpring
#5 Posted : 4/10/2022 6:00:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Fresh. The hairs are not the problem. They are silky, and I pluck them out anyway like you're supposed to. It really feels like a biochemical reaction, like I said. Almost like the sting of ginger but more intense.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Jees
#6 Posted : 4/14/2022 12:39:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Had a handfull of yote ceremonies lead by a Wixarika, it was (Wirikuta grow) dried and powered so I have no clue how or if it was stripped down or peeled just before the powdering.
The taste always gave me a 'metalic' impression by lack for lack of a better word, something not so much present with the SA long cacti (San Pedro, Peruvianus). And absolutely less bitter than the SA sorts.
But no real sharp pain in the back of the throat. I suppose you had that 'metalic' effect I spoke of to an excessive degree? That's my only guess. Some Native American with versed yote experiences might be of better assistance.