We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What makes music "psychedelic"? - a categorical exploration Options

ControlledChaos
#1 Posted : 3/13/2022 7:30:25 AM

Nature is analog, ever flowing and continuous; spontaneous transfers of energy weaving in and out of dimensions, radiating outwards from the source- a non repeating, non terminating system of perpetual energy

To me, psychedelic music is music that tries to depict a soundscape that emulates the psychedelic experience in some way. So, in order to identify key characteristics of psychedelic music you have to think of the psychedelic experience itself and how that translates onto a musical (or 'non-musical'Pleased soundscape. You could do this by breaking aspects of the psychedelic experience into sensory categories along with additional cognitive, thematic, and affective categories. In this topic I will go over these categories then postulate how they might transfer over to music. I will then apply the musical concepts I identify to existing examples of music.

Visual-
Psychedelic visuals are, by all accounts, mind-bogglingly complex. Multicolored, chaotic (yet organized), geometric (or not), smooth (or angular), and of varying dimensional perspective. One common theme is a large variety of constantly shifting colors and patterns. Musically, this could be depicted by a large variety of instruments to "color" the soundscape and varying sound patterns that constantly shift unpredictably yet in a structured manner. Frequently there is also a certain continuity to the sound with repetitive elements such as a locked drum rhythm keeping the flow of the song intact. Such a sound is exemplified in the music of bands such as Hawkwind, Caravan, Ozric Tentacles, Acid Mother's Temple, and Amon Duul II.

Auditory-
Auditory hallucinations play a smaller yet powerful role in the psychedelic experience. They often manifest in the form of ringing, buzzing, droning, humming, and other resonant "waveforms". Additionally, "spacey" sound effects such as beeping are often heard as well. Occasionally singing or talking is even heard. Musically, the sounds often heard during the psychedelic experience have much in common with the drone. It is possible this is directly emulated in the music of 'krautrock' bands like Ash Ra Temper, Tangerine Dream, Cluster, and Klaus Schulze. Additionally the entire genre of ambient/drone often has psychedelic elements although the music isn't always labeled as such.

Tactile, olfactory, and taste related hallucinations usually don't play a huge role in the psychedelic experience though they can. However I am unsure how they relate to music so I'll move onto other aspects.

Cognitive-
Oftentimes, the psychedelic experience is very synthasesiac. It can blend every sense and relay a lot of sensory information very quickly. Often this information is somehow translated via allegory into a profound concept about oneself or the universe. For example, when receiving the idea that the universe is composed of energy constantly flowing, transferring, and condensing I got very "flowing" visuals and could "feel" said energy flowing around me. Musically, this could manifest in the use of sonic experimentation to portray certain conceptual themes without directly stating them in the lyrics. For instance, British psychedelia often used studio techniques such as echo, delay, reverb, ect to portray the psychedelic experience itself without mentioning it lyrically. So in a way psychedelic rock is self-referential to the concept of psychedelia itself.

Thematic-
A psychedelic experience can take on virtually any "theme". However, from what I've seen anecdotally there are often common themes of a fantastical, philosophical, psychological, science fiction, Egyptian/eastern, and cosmic nature. This is reflected in countless psychedelic rock bands. Again classic British psychedelia comes to mind. The band Going does a great job of depicting outer space.

Many of my examples were in a rock context but the same can be said for any kind of music.

So when you boil it down (like Ayahausca haha), psychedelic music typically includes the following elements:

-A wide variety of instruments and sounds
-Seemingly chaotic and erratic musical patterns (often "jammed" or improvised"Pleased with underlying structures tying them together
-Repetive elements
-Drones, humming, buzzing, and other cosmic sound effects
-Extensive use of studio effects
-Using sound as an allegory for some bigger idea

It seems like in the evolution of psychedelic music multiple "strains" of psychedelic music have arose. One of my favorite types of psychedelic music is the kind where they throw in as many instruments and sounds as possible into the music and jam out erratically for an extended period of time. I also love the kind that's more ambient and cosmic.

Under my definition of psychedelic music many genres could fit into it even if not directly psychedelic. Progressive rock, IDM, vaporwave, witch house, future garage, future beats, and many other genres that push the envelope can be considered psychedelic in my eyes.

So, what's your favorite psychedelic music? And if you have some critiques of my definition I'd gladly listen to your input. Thank you for your time reading.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Ramma
#2 Posted : 3/13/2022 7:55:30 AM

Long live the Kings of Righteousness

Absurdism and instability; allows for detachment and indifference, but with energy (weither positive or negative will vary). I'm thinking psychedelic music of the type which can help one relax on the crisp of a bridgesii wave.

I don't like psychedelic music much, but here's one of the one's I really liked.

Here is artwork which encapsulates the values of psychedelic music
Pic 1
Behold, a sower went out to sow