We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Mushroom tea Options

Tony6Strings
#1 Posted : 1/10/2022 4:31:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lately I love taking mushroom in tea. Usually I make up some peppermint tea with 8 oz or so water. Add the powdered mushrooms to the tea when water still simmering. Let simmer a little longer. Strain solids through cloth and enjoy. Sometimes I add lemon juice before drinking to convert to psilocin.

Last night I did things a little different. Whole (dried) mushrooms into boiling water, turn down to medium low, let simmer. Poured tea off into jar, added some Swiss Miss cocoa powder mix. This was the least offensive mushroom beverage I've ever drank. The cocoa helps. Also no need to powder mushrooms, throw them in whole, makes for easier pour off, no filtering required!!! The goods are very water soluble!!!
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Dirty T
#2 Posted : 1/11/2022 6:10:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I filter with a "Magic Butter Straining Bag" I have also used "bubble magic" bags in the past but the MB bag works the best.

Some advice on mush tea - Try bullion cubes, they make the tea taste like soup. I tried peppermint, chocolate, etc... and they were all very disgusting tasting. Filter all those solids, that's where the majority of unpleasant feelings and discomfort/ nausea come from and there are no actives left. Finally, clarify your tea as you reduce, scoop the fat from the surface, the fats contain no actives and just gunk up the tea.

Psilocybin Tea is gross no matter what but beef or chicken tea with mush isn't so terrible.

Fridge
#3 Posted : 1/12/2022 4:55:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tea is also my preferred method to consume my mushrooms. After trying a lot of different teas I found that rooibos tea with a spoon of honey masks the taste of mushrooms nearly completely. I don't mind if I still get a little bit of mushroom taste while drinking though.
...no need to worry...

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 1/20/2022 3:49:57 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It was kind of horrifying to hear that you simmer peppermint tea, Tony!

I'd definitely back up the bouillon suggestion - miso is another excellent (and vegan) alternative. Simmer the mushrooms in a couple of batches of water, combine off the heat and stir in the best miso you can get. Thinking back, that did get pretty hectic once, which may have been due to the amines in the miso - or it may have been the fresh Psilocybe cyanescens that went in the pot.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Tony6Strings
#5 Posted : 1/20/2022 2:34:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes!! My knowledge of tea preparation is rudimentary!!! I do know you're supposed to steep, not simmer.. I was worried more about getting all the actives from my mushrooms. I needn't have worried so much. You can put mush powder into just boiled hot water, steep some, and it will pull the goods. I've experimented with this some.

Downwardsfromzero!! Do you have tea as a meal in your home? I know it is something of a big deal to you English...

I've got Ps. Cyans on the brain lately. I want to find some appropriate spots tucked out of the way and spawn some beds out in the woods...
olympus mon wrote:

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Dirty T
#6 Posted : 1/21/2022 8:32:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have never steeped. I have always used a covered rolling boil. Heat does not destroy actives in psilocybin. The actives boil at more than double the temperature achievable with boiling water. I've tried double extracting, etc... and abandoned it. Seems all the actives go into the water within the initial 10 minute boil. I even tested by giving my step son the left over mush from a single boil. They did nothing at all. Just sharing information with you to help with a simpler pathway to the same results. The only way I ever destroyed the actives was by literally boiling the pan dry and burning them.

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 1/22/2022 1:23:42 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Tony6Strings wrote:
Downwardsfromzero!! Do you have tea as a meal in your home? I know it is something of a big deal to you English...
Some of my friends might call "supper" "tea" (we never said "supper" though, but I'll get to that later) but mostly I called the evening meal "dinner". My sister, when we were both still living 'at home' would call it "tea" more often than me, IIRC. Since then I've lived in a variety of situations with people from a selection of different backgrounds and their evening meal terminology has differed depending on factors such as geography (e.g. north/south) and class. But to be clear, "tea" will be understood as either the drink itself or one of the main meals of the day depending on the context and the exact wording where tea is mentioned.

My own example as it currently stands is possibly non-representative because one of my parents is non-British and I no longer live in the UK. The terminology for my evening meal varies depending on what actually gets eaten, and with whom I am eating. So, for me, tea is almost exclusively a drink these days.

Meanwhile, back on topic, the exact method that I've come up with if preparing a tea or broth from fresh mushrooms goes as follows:

*Blanch the whole mushrooms briefly in boiling water until they go a bit limp. Strain the mushrooms from the blanching water, reserving both.

*Chop the mushrooms finely. They will no longer exhibit a blueing reaction as the enzymes responsible will have been inactivated. (We could also speculate how much of the actives remains in the mushrooms but I'll leave that for now).

*Simmer the finely chopped mushrooms in a fresh amount of water. This needn't take so long - which was the point of chopping up the mushrooms, and thus also saves fuel/electricity.

*Depending on the species of mushroom you can either strain them out or leave them in. Psilocybe cyanescens always seemed quite digestible to me.

*Combine both batches of liquid. This should result in the temperature being about right for the next step...

*Meticulously stir in the miso. Since one should avoid putting miso into boiling water, this two stage cooking process helps by giving time for the first batch of liquid to cool off a bit while the second boil is taking place.

*Add garnish of your choice - perhaps some finely chopped parsley.

Dirty T wrote:
I have never steeped.
I don't have anything against boiling mushrooms, only peppermint.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Tony6Strings
#8 Posted : 1/22/2022 3:01:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I will try the miso!!
olympus mon wrote:

Dirty T
#9 Posted : 1/22/2022 3:53:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah Downwards, we definitely agree on that, boiling peppermint is bad. BTW peppermint plus shrooms is gag juice, lol. It was like drinking mentholated cream of mushroom vomit to be honest which is why I came up with the bullion approach (I actually did ramen packets first but the bullion works better)

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 1/22/2022 6:33:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I find bullion tends to be a bit expensive Big grin

(Sorry, couldn't resist - but I think you mean bouillon; apols for the pedantry.)

Anyhow, I have actually made steeped mushroom tea using dried liberty caps. Their diminutive stature lends itself to this energy-saving method of preparation. I would still boil fresh liberty caps, partly to reduce the chance of infestation with sheep-related internal parasites. It's technically possible to get liver flukes from raw liberty caps, although I think you'd be pretty unlucky to actually do so. [I also wonder if psilocybin has any toxicity towards such kinds of organisms.]

null24
#11 Posted : 1/22/2022 7:16:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Quote:
I've got Ps. Cyans on the brain lately. I want to find some appropriate spots tucked out of the way and spawn some beds out in the woods...

Yeah man, I have a similar vision for my future. My new house is surrounded by garden beds, I plan to fill them with chips and plant myceliated cardboard and butts next season. I just moved in this week, and also have indoor space perfect for cubes. I wish I had some stem butts to distribute, I do have a bunch of oldish wild cyan spore prints on foils from good genetics that may germinate on agar.

Quote:
stir in the miso

Farinaceousumami Thumbs up

Quote:
I would still boil fresh liberty caps, partly to reduce the chance of (getting sick)

I credit eating fresh cyans for discovering my cancer at operable stage 1. I posted a lot about it at the time. I got what I think was ghiardia from it, and during the second trip to the ER in a month for vomiting a CT scan was performed which caught the mass in my lung. Magically, the nausea immediately ceased once that was found. Symbiotic alliance? Luck? I can't say I don't care- I do, immensly, but I can say I am okay with not knowing. But yeah, eating wild freshies=possible illness and I don't anymore. Cultivated prolly not so much of a risk. It is a bummer, I really like the taste and texture of wet cyans.

Tony, have you ever used freshies for tea? I am curious because a few years ago I destroyed an entire pound of fresh cyans by simmering them for 10 minutes. Some of the strongest shrooms I ever harvested turned to some really bad tasting non-psychoactive tea. Thumbs down
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Tony6Strings
#12 Posted : 1/22/2022 10:23:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No I've not tried any fresh fruits, in tea or otherwise, as of yet. I keep meaning to take some fresh ones. Maybe next time I harvest a box I will eat a large fresh dose. 60 or 70 grams or so... It's just a lot of material to eat, and I almost always do things like chocolate or tea with my dried fruits, I just am really not crazy about the actual eating of the mushrooms themselves.
olympus mon wrote:

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 1/23/2022 12:43:55 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ooh, I've had some stonking experiences with fresh cubes. It was quite a while ago but IIRC they were simmered and taken as strained tea. When you get the chance, try chucking a fresh shroom or two in the pot.

null24 wrote:
a few years ago I destroyed an entire pound of fresh cyans by simmering them for 10 minutes. Some of the strongest shrooms I ever harvested turned to some really bad tasting non-psychoactive tea.
That sounds unfortunate, and is also something of a puzzle. One way of looking at it is that we have no way of knowing whether those mushrooms would have been active had they not been simmered for ten minutes. Or maybe it was the pixies pranking you - with the long term benefit that you ate the freshies and consequently got that life-saving scan. Thumbs up

doubledog
#14 Posted : 1/23/2022 9:35:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My preferred method for ingestion of fresh shrooms is to prepare a juice from it. You can use a juicer, smoothie mixer or blender, or manually mash them and press the juice out with help of some cloth.
To help the extraction I add little bit of water, cold water is ok, warm is probably better, hot is likely the best option to try to kill bacteria. But I use just lukewarm water to not risk degradation of psilocin or any other heat sensitive tryptamine present.
I also always add lime or lemon juice.

Tony6Strings
#15 Posted : 1/24/2022 4:37:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

doubledog wrote:
My preferred method for ingestion of fresh shrooms is to prepare a juice from it. You can use a juicer, smoothie mixer or blender, or manually mash them and press the juice out with help of some cloth.
To help the extraction I add little bit of water, cold water is ok, warm is probably better, hot is likely the best option to try to kill bacteria. But I use just lukewarm water to not risk degradation of psilocin or any other heat sensitive tryptamine present.
I also always add lime or lemon juice.

Thank you for sharing this!! This is cool! Cold fresh electric juice. I love it.
olympus mon wrote:

dragonrider
#16 Posted : 1/24/2022 5:09:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have good experiences with mushroom tea...but i always eat the extracted mushrooms afterwards anyway.

I've tried several methods of making tea, but even when i thought i had a realy potent tea, whenever i choose to eat the remaining mushrooms anyway, i could always feel the effects of the eaten mushrooms.

There was always the usual onset first. But then, when i was already experiencing the effects of the tea, a sudden boost.

Sometimes subtle, but almost always noticeable anyway.

Apparently there are often still some traces of psilocybin or psilocin left in the remaining mushroom material.

BongQuixote
#17 Posted : 1/25/2022 9:34:50 AM
DMT-Nexus member

It's great to make mushrooms tea out of "the ugly bits", mushrooms bottoms with some coir stuck, specimens you didn't harvest in time, scraps after trimming etc. I filter heavily to make sure it's free of crap and store it the fridge.

For regular mushrooms, I just eat them whole. They usually taste pretty good (a hint of honey sometimes), and you can wash them down with anything you like. A tea extraction will not get all the goodies out of the mushrooms, so you need to eat the soaked remains to get the full effect, something way grosser than just eating the mushrooms dry.

I also advise staying away from converting psilocybin to psilocin prematurely by using lemon. As soon as you create psilocin is starts to break down and unless you consume it right away it will start to lose potency. I prefer to have my stomach acid doing the conversion instead of doing it before ingestion. Stomach acid is lower in PH than lemon and will do a better job faster.

But tea is great as well! Just not cup of tea, SO loves it.

downwardsfromzero
#18 Posted : 1/26/2022 1:02:42 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

dragonrider wrote:
Apparently there are often still some traces of psilocybin or psilocin left in the remaining mushroom material.
For this reason, I typically squeeze the heck out of the solid material and do at least a couple of smaller simmers rather than one big one, all in accordance with the fundamental principles of extraction.

Not that I've made any shroom brews since like forever. Hmmm.

hedge
#19 Posted : 1/26/2022 4:23:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This thread has some great ideas for mushroom consumption! I prefer to drink my mushrooms in tea as well. My favorite so far is an Egyptian licorice tea (warming and naturally spicy-sweet). It masks the taste pretty well for those who don't enjoy the mushroom flavor, and gives licorice flavored burps throughout the trip, which I quite enjoy. There is some ginger in the blend, but I have a locally made ginger syrup that I like a spoonful of to wash it all down. Helps combat any nausea. For me, it's a rising feeling in the stomach with some pre-puke coughs, sort of mirroring the lightness of limbs on the comeup.

I'm really inspired by the idea of miso and using broth rather than tea. It's so obvious that umami & savory would pair well with cubes.

Anyone done mushroom coffee?
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Voidmatrix
#20 Posted : 1/26/2022 5:59:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

downwardsfromzero wrote:
dragonrider wrote:
For this reason, I typically squeeze the heck out of the solid material and do at least a couple of smaller simmers rather than one big one, all in accordance with the fundamental principles of extraction.

Not that I've made any shroom brews since like forever. Hmmm.

After drinking the tea, I tend to eat the soggy mushrooms: twisted:

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

12NEXT