We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Scientists extract images directly from brain Options

Kartikay
#1 Posted : 2/8/2010 6:56:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://pinktentacle.com/...ges-directly-from-brain/

http://pinktentacle.com/2008/12/scientists-extract-images-directly-from-brain/ wrote:
Researchers from Japan’s ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories have developed new brain analysis technology that can reconstruct the images inside a person’s mind and display them on a computer monitor, it was announced on December 11. According to the researchers, further development of the technology may soon make it possible to view other people’s dreams while they sleep.

The scientists were able to reconstruct various images viewed by a person by analyzing changes in their cerebral blood flow. Using a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine, the researchers first mapped the blood flow changes that occurred in the cerebral visual cortex as subjects viewed various images held in front of their eyes. Subjects were shown 400 random 10 x 10 pixel black-and-white images for a period of 12 seconds each. While the fMRI machine monitored the changes in brain activity, a computer crunched the data and learned to associate the various changes in brain activity with the different image designs.

Then, when the test subjects were shown a completely new set of images, such as the letters N-E-U-R-O-N, the system was able to reconstruct and display what the test subjects were viewing based solely on their brain activity.

For now, the system is only able to reproduce simple black-and-white images. But Dr. Kang Cheng, a researcher from the RIKEN Brain Science Institute, suggests that improving the measurement accuracy will make it possible to reproduce images in color.

“These results are a breakthrough in terms of understanding brain activity,” says Dr. Cheng. “In as little as 10 years, advances in this field of research may make it possible to read a person’s thoughts with some degree of accuracy.”

The researchers suggest a future version of this technology could be applied in the fields of art and design — particularly if it becomes possible to quickly and accurately access images existing inside an artist’s head. The technology might also lead to new treatments for conditions such as psychiatric disorders involving hallucinations, by providing doctors a direct window into the mind of the patient.

ATR chief researcher Yukiyasu Kamitani says, “This technology can also be applied to senses other than vision. In the future, it may also become possible to read feelings and complicated emotional states.”

The research results appear in the December 11 issue of US science journal Neuron.

I would love to see this improved and then applied to someone after smoking DMT.
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

#2 Posted : 2/8/2010 7:11:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Scary stuff! There are huge implications from that technology if it becomes reality. Sounds stranger than fiction - I wonder if they will ever master it.

Something tells me you couldnt make this work fully for an immersive DMT flash though. The visions I have seem to be impossible to translate into normal sight. I think that is why I struggle to remember breakthroughs - what I feel just doesn't make sense normally.

Still - I'd be interested in seeing the results.
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

universecannon
#3 Posted : 2/8/2010 7:43:57 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Amazing..I wonder where this will lead

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

amor_fati
#4 Posted : 2/8/2010 8:06:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Love "The Pink Tentacle."

Here's another good example of interpreting neural signaling electronically:

69ron
#5 Posted : 2/8/2010 8:15:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is a very dangerous technology if it is perfected to the point where the government can get access to all your mental images. It could be used to literally read your mind visually as you walk into an airport for mental screening. I don't like it one bit. You can bet the military LOVES this one.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

amor_fati
#6 Posted : 2/8/2010 8:15:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Another one, probably an earlier experiment:

Pertaining to the OP, this could be an excellent to dissect the nature of hallucination and perception in general. Very exciting research.

amor_fati
#7 Posted : 2/8/2010 8:20:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
This is a very dangerous technology if it is perfected to the point where the government can get access to all your mental images. It could be used to literally visually read your mind as you walk into an airport for mental screening. I don't like it one bit.

Well, you can't halt this sort of technology, sorry. The trick is to work toward the necessary changes within culture, so that it can handle these technologies responsibly. Cynicism and fear will get us nowhere. Besides, what your referring to is a far-cry from what we're seeing here and now.

biopsylo
#8 Posted : 2/8/2010 9:25:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
According to the researchers, further development of the technology may soon make it possible to view other people’s dreams while they sleep.

wow!
when i was a kid i remember wishing i could record my dreams and watch them while awake.
it wont be long now! (2012 ?!?) Watching each others' dreams is gonna be far out.
technology is beautiful.

aftertoke
#9 Posted : 2/9/2010 2:09:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

This is really interesting, I'm surprised I didn't hear about it until now...
I do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old. I seek what they sought.

#10 Posted : 2/9/2010 2:21:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

perhaps unrelated, but why not:

http://www.neatorama.com...ection-around-the-earth/

"at journey's end, we must begin again"

benzyme
#11 Posted : 2/9/2010 4:36:13 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Kartikay wrote:
http://pinktentacle.com/2008/12/scientists-extract-images-directly-from-brain/

http://dmt-nexus.me/foru....aspx?g=posts&t=2926
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Kartikay
#12 Posted : 2/9/2010 4:38:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

well I'll be damned.
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

Phlux-
#13 Posted : 2/9/2010 6:12:13 AM

The Root

im skeeired!
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

۩
#14 Posted : 2/9/2010 6:20:19 AM

I don't need computers to see into you

69ron
#15 Posted : 2/9/2010 8:18:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This will be used by law enforcement if the price drops enough. The airports will use it for screening terrorists. It has great potential for abuse of one's privacy.

I think we need new privacy laws before this becomes commonplace.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Methtical
#16 Posted : 2/9/2010 9:32:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
This will be used by law enforcement if the price drops enough. The airports will use it for screening terrorists. It has great potential for abuse of one's privacy.

Can appreciate where you're coming from with this. Fat chance of getting a law passed to protect common folk though, everything these days just seems to be labelled under "Counter-terrorism" and thus is a free pass to circumventing all human rights directives etc. However, with that said, I'm sure if one just repeated in ones mind "Elephants dancing elephants dancing elephants dancing" then all the feds are going to pick up on is elephants dancing, so I'm not sure if it will be able to read ones thoughts against ones will.

On the brighter side - can you imagine if it were one day possible to record a DMT blast-off! Holy Cow! The implications are endless really, but more than anything else I would be able to see time and again the most wonderous sights and show people what words could never captivate.

Methtical

Spiced
#17 Posted : 2/9/2010 4:58:03 PM

Terra Incognita

Wow.....

This is science fiction becoming reality, it's even hard to believe, i do believe it, but it's so strange, i guess this is the same reaction people had when they first saw a picture, or a video.

I cant even imagine what great inventions will await us in the future, i would never imagine that scientists would be able to do something like this.

The next thing is mindreading, if they can pull this off, they will be able to read thoughts within the next 50 years, that's a bad thing though.

They should draw the line somewhere, science knows no limits.

Thanks for sharing this!

69ron wrote:

Absolutly, i can't possibly agree more.
But when laws are made, they will be destroyed just as quick, look at what Bush did with his Patriot Law.

Touche Guevara
#18 Posted : 2/9/2010 5:21:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:

We already have laws in place to protect employees from polygraphs, thankfully. The airports are irrevocably fucked though, I'm afraid.

sunshineandsmiles
#19 Posted : 2/9/2010 11:34:05 PM

Sol-Id

Aside from the negative aspects...

The positive applications of this technology are many. Many struggle to remember their dreams, so that helps there. Our dreams also offer us a different perspective on how we think about the world around us.

I would be sceptical of using this technology as a form of entertainment...that doesn't seem wise. But the psychiatric benefits would be phenomenal.
TIME WILL TELL...

endlessness
#20 Posted : 2/9/2010 11:44:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

just had a big deja-vu starting to write this post now...

anyways, also for example for people who suffer accidents or with certain diseases and lose control of their muscles or are considered in vegetative state but are still conscious and cant communicate, this is an interesting technology indeed

but yeah like most technologies it can also be used negatively

12NEXT