We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Interpreting percentages in LC/MS report for salt forms Options

clearlyone
#1 Posted : 11/12/2021 2:01:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Greetings all.

Having recieved quantitative LC/MS results from a lab on multiple substances I am unsure how to assess the level of purity given they are salt forms. For example:

Synthetic 5-meo-dmt fumarate results show 10% dmt, 40% 5-meo-dmt. If we just look at the 40% 5-meo-dmt, is that inclusive of the weight of fumarate or no? (i realize we would be assuming it is in salt form and that fumarate is even present).

Likewise if a Ketamine sample showed 65% Ketamine, is that exlusive or inclusive of the HCl? (if anyone has the weight ratio of ket:HCl in KetHCl that would be helpful)

I am trying to determine if these could theoretically be high purity because the salt portion is excluded in the percent, or if there is likely significant other material.

Thank you for any assistance.

Light

"Blinded by their own sight, hearing, feeling, and knowing, they don't perceive the radiance of the source. If they could eliminate all conceptual thinking, this source would appear, like the sun rising through the empty sky and illuminating the whole universe." - Huang Po

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 11/12/2021 11:52:14 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I've never seen a parent ion with a counter-ion using ESI-MS. They are usually dissolved and dissociate at the source, in an acidic mobile phase.

An ELSD or CAD detector would show counter-ions.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

endlessness
#3 Posted : 11/15/2021 10:43:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As benz said, basically the results would show your % of the substance of interest, freebase.. The salt ions would be dissociated in the mobile phase.

So if results are 100%, it means it it had no other substances, apart from the substance of interest and its salt ion if it was in salt form when sent to the lab. If results are 70%, it means apart from the substance and the salt ion, there were another 30% impurities