We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
CIELO - How to separate Mescaline Citrate from Other Alkaloids? Options

highlightprotein
#1 Posted : 11/7/2021 2:09:39 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Edit: This thread has now turned into my journal for my first extraction using CIELO. The posts regarding this start here.

The CIELO tek calls for salting with citric acid.

How can we separate mescaline citrate from the other alkaloids?

When using vinegar you can wash with MEK. When using HCL you can wash with acetone and IPA.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 11/7/2021 3:00:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Which alkaloids, why do you think they are there in the first place, and if they were, why remove them?

Also what evidence is there that the mentioned washes do anything?

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 11/7/2021 4:52:06 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
How can we separate mescaline citrate from the other alkaloids?
There's always one form of column chromatography or another. Dry flash chromatography is both simple and effective for a lot of things.

On that note, you might as well test your crude mescaline citrate via TLC first, just to see if there really is any reason to bother trying a clean up.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

highlightprotein
#4 Posted : 11/7/2021 5:11:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Which alkaloids, why do you think they are there in the first place, and if they were, why remove them?

Also what evidence is there that the mentioned washes do anything?

Are you saying that the precipitated crystals are pure mescaline and do not contain other alkaloids?

My understanding is that cactus (and most other plants) do not just contain a single alkaloid but a mixture of different alkaloids.

I read through all 55 pages of 69ron's limonene/vinegar tek, as well as the 12 pages of his limonene/hcl tek.

In there, 69ron mentioned that the crystals contain a mixture of mescaline and non-mescaline alkaloids. If using HCL he said you can wash with acetone/IPA to leave pure mescaline. If using vinegar he said you can wash with cold MEK to leave pure mescaline. He further said that he evaporated the washed solvents and then tested the non-mescaline alkaloids, and that it felt much different than the mescaline. Multiple people in the post confirmed that they had similar experiences.

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 11/7/2021 7:53:45 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Have you actually worked with CIELO-precipitated mescaline citrate?

And have you read through the Ethyl acetate approach thread (all 23 pages)?

One analysis showed that it was possible to precipitate technically pure mescaline citrate, but this is likely to depend on the cactus used and variations in extraction technique.
benzyme wrote:
It's super clean. I'm only getting one peak. There's a slight shoulder, but that's typical
https://i.ibb.co/zNCMJF3...-B599-492259-AB7-ED3.jpg

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Loveall
#6 Posted : 11/7/2021 8:35:19 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

downwardsfromzero wrote:

One analysis showed that it was possible to precipitate technically pure mescaline citrate, but this is likely to depend on the cactus used and variations in extraction technique.
benzyme wrote:
It's super clean. I'm only getting one peak. There's a slight shoulder, but that's typical
https://i.ibb.co/zNCMJF3...-B599-492259-AB7-ED3.jpg

Yes, this what we saw. Pulling with ethyl acetate and salting with citric is selective was selective to mescaline. No other alkaloids were noted in the benzyme's analysis. It is only one analysis, but that is the data we have so far.

Subjectively, and for what it's worth, the effects from the CIELO TEK matched those of know pure mescaline sulfate.

Did 69Ron ever have his product analyzed? I think he was going my subjective experience. It is possible that more alkaloids come through with a different TEK vs CIELO - I don't know.
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

highlightprotein
#7 Posted : 11/7/2021 9:39:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Loveall wrote:

Yes, this what we saw. Pulling with ethyl acetate and salting with citric is selective was selective to mescaline. No other alkaloids were noted in the benzyme's analysis. It is only one analysis, but that is the data we have so far.

Subjectively, and for what it's worth, the effects from the CIELO TEK matched those of know pure mescaline sulfate.

Did 69Ron ever have his product analyzed? I think he was going my subjective experience. It is possible that more alkaloids come through with a different TEK vs CIELO - I don't know.

Hi Loveall, do you think that 1) the non-mescaline alkaloids remain soluble in ethyl acetate, while mescaline citrate precipitates out; or 2) non-mescaline alkaloids are actually a tiny fraction of most cacti and won't significantly affect the results?

AFAIK 69ron went by subjective experience alone. But he showed that a wash of the HCL with acetone/IPA reduced the yield (same with washing vinegar precipitate with cold MEK). That would suggest multiple alkaloids with different solubility properties.

downwardsfromzero wrote:

No I have not tried CIELO. I'm deciding between 69ron and CIELO. 69ron goes out of his way to mention purifying the precipitate because he thinks it contains a mixture of alkaloids. So I was confused because the CIELO tek doesn't mention it.

I'm only 3 pages into the ethyl acetate approach thread. After the 55 limonene thread my head is spinning. I did see the analysis you mentioned but I didn't know how to read/interpret the data. I will definitely finish the ethyl acetate approach thread by next week.

I have the same question for you as I asked Loveall: do you think the non-mescaline alkaloids remain dissolved in the ethyl acetate, or do you think the non-mescaline alkaloids are only a tiny fraction of total alkaloids?

Thanks guys.

Loveall
#8 Posted : 11/7/2021 11:36:53 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

highlightprotein wrote:
[quote=Loveall]Hi Loveall, do you think that 1) the non-mescaline alkaloids remain soluble in ethyl acetate, while mescaline citrate precipitates out; or 2) non-mescaline alkaloids are actually a tiny fraction of most cacti and won't significantly affect the results?

I think that the non-mescaline alkaloids don't move into the ethyl acetate from the cactus lime paste, but that's just a guess.
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

_Trip_
#9 Posted : 11/8/2021 3:51:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

highlightprotein wrote:

No I have not tried CIELO. I'm deciding between 69ron and CIELO. 69ron goes out of his way to mention purifying the precipitate because he thinks it contains a mixture of alkaloids. So I was confused because the CIELO tek doesn't mention it.

Give the Cielo Tek a go, you won't regret it.
Disclaimer: All my posts are of total fiction.

doubledog
#10 Posted : 11/8/2021 8:44:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In classic A/B approaches, as is 69ron tek, salting out and crystalization are two independent steps.
CIELO allows to do both in one simple step.

endlessness
#11 Posted : 11/8/2021 6:53:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

highlightprotein wrote:
Are you saying that the precipitated crystals are pure mescaline and do not contain other alkaloids?

Yeah that's pretty much hit. I've tested a bunch of extracts made in different ways from different pedro/pachanoi/peruvianus and they almost always contain exclusively mescaline, with the very occasional trace amount of 3,4-DMPEA.

A lot of that is summed up here: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=71353

highlightprotein wrote:
My understanding is that cactus (and most other plants) do not just contain a single alkaloid but a mixture of different alkaloids.

As linked above, you can see that only some analysis show other alkaloids, and they are generally in trace quantities.. Also, those are analysis of whole cact, not of extracts as typically done by underground chemists, which further select mescaline.

highlightprotein wrote:
In there, 69ron mentioned that the crystals contain a mixture of mescaline and non-mescaline alkaloids. If using HCL he said you can wash with acetone/IPA to leave pure mescaline. If using vinegar he said you can wash with cold MEK to leave pure mescaline. He further said that he evaporated the washed solvents and then tested the non-mescaline alkaloids, and that it felt much different than the mescaline. Multiple people in the post confirmed that they had similar experiences.

Unless those claims are backed up by some sort of analytical method, take them with a grain (or ton) of salt. "Similar experiences" from "multiple people" does not eliminate the possibility of self-suggestion, and are not evidence of actual difference in alkaloid content.

highlightprotein
#12 Posted : 11/9/2021 4:33:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Oh, that is really interesting. It seems that these other alkaloids having a material effect are perhaps a myth.

highlightprotein
#13 Posted : 11/9/2021 9:14:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

How do you guys prefer to powder your cacti?

Some people like to cut the cactus horizontally into cucumber stars. Others prefer cutting vertically into snakes like mentioned in the sticky.

I've read some people like to freeze and thaw multiple times to "break down the cell walls". Is the point of this to just make it easier to cut? Is it necessary?

I have a food dehydrator and blender ready.

In addition, does anyone use white material? Or do you just stick with the green material?

_Trip_
#14 Posted : 11/9/2021 10:51:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

All I would say is, if you are cutting it up (as in stripping spines, white pulp and wax layer) then cucumber stars are easier to strip down just to get the green layer, IMO.

Although its more time consuming I would recommend putting in the effort to just cut out the green layer. I found when doing an extraction using Celio Tek my yields dropped from 3.6% (for memory) when using the green layer only, down to 1.2% when using wax, spines and green layer (inner pulp removed). If you do the green layer only it'll reduce waste on materials used such as EA.

That's just my 2 cents.

Disclaimer: All my posts are of total fiction.

endlessness
#15 Posted : 11/9/2021 11:03:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

highlightprotein wrote:
Oh, that is really interesting. It seems that these other alkaloids having a material effect are perhaps a myth.

I'm not saying there is absolutely no chance of cactus/extracts with higher amounts of other alkaloids but for the most part with those mentioned species this is not demonstrated AFAIK.

highlightprotein wrote:

I've mostly worked with fresh cact, just cut into small pieces and pressure cook them. If no pressure cooker, you can try mixing freeze and thawing cycles and boiling. Then doing A/B and salting whatever way you prefer. If you want to work with dry tek then thin stars in food dehydrator and then powder it when dry, is prob the way. There are many legitimate ways to go about this.

I'm not aware of side by side comparisons to show with more evidence which ones are more effective, but if you are sensible about it, it should work well.

Good luck

shroombee
#16 Posted : 11/10/2021 7:04:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

highlightprotein wrote:
I have a food dehydrator and blender ready.

Drying in a food dehydrator is probably the most straightforward way to go if you want to use CIELO or limonene tek. I use a Vitamix to powderize my dried cactus chips.

highlightprotein
#17 Posted : 11/10/2021 6:48:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
highlightprotein wrote:

I'm not saying there is absolutely no chance of cactus/extracts with higher amounts of other alkaloids but for the most part with those mentioned species this is not demonstrated AFAIK.

highlightprotein wrote:

I've mostly worked with fresh cact, just cut into small pieces and pressure cook them.

Do you separate the green layer from the wax layer and from the white layer or do you keep them together for the extraction?

downwardsfromzero
#18 Posted : 11/10/2021 8:39:22 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

K. Trout has done an exemplary job of collating data in his work, The Cactus Alkaloids. That should give some direction towards understanding what kind of parameters you might be operating with when understanding the selectivity of the CIELO extraction.

By digging a bit deeper into the scientific literature you'll find some more detailed studies, by Ogunbodede or Agurell for example, where multiple examples of the same species are compared side-by-side. References to some of these papers can be found in the relevant areas of the forum, perhaps in the cactus analysis thread IIRC. Here's a great summary by Endlessness that showed up after a little digging around.

It does make me wonder whether ethyl acetate selectively extracts mescaline while leaving behind the isoquinoline alkaloids, and also what the results might be with a DMPEA-rich specimen. Of all the accessory alkaloids, it could be said that DMPEA is the one chemically the most like mescaline, not counting 'lophophine' - homomyristicylamine - which has only ever been detected in trace amounts. DMPEA usually only shows up in trace amounts too, so it would be perhaps unusual if you ever were to recover any significant amount of it.

Grey Fox
#19 Posted : 11/15/2021 4:43:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It seems to me that it would take water based extraction of whole living cuttings, preferrably extracted with just enough heat to maintain a gentle boil for long periods of time, in order to capture and preserve the majority of actives in the cactus material. In reality it would probably take numerous such extractions from various specimens of each of the active species of Trichocereus cactus to gain a decent understanding of what is in there. We should do it. Plenty of chemists and growers on this forum. It would be good to bring some clarity to this matter once and for all. Would it not be possible to analyze such tea to uncover all of the actives contained? Strong preference should be given to material collected from large, mature plants in order to get a fair representation of what these cacti are actually capable of.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

highlightprotein
#20 Posted : 11/17/2021 12:44:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

At what temperature and for how long do you guys put your cacti in the food dehydrator? I'm thinking 95F (the lowest) just to be on the safe side.

Do you really need to pull off the outer waxy skin? I spent a very long time doing this, and after weighting the skin it was only about 10g wet for 1/2 of a 18" cactus. For the second half I kept the skin on. I'm going to try two extractions, one with skin and one without, to see if it makes a difference.

I also removed the cores plus a few millimeters of white. I'm going to do a third extraction on just these core/white pieces and see what happens.

123NEXT»