We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is it possible to "clean" bad Naphtha? Options

DesertWasabi
#1 Posted : 10/17/2021 2:28:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello! I'm about to try my first extraction, and ran into the small issue of not finding a good solvent.

The only thing available around here is Zippo Premium Lighter Fluid, and I already evap tested a couple of cans, and all of them don't pass the test (they leave a thin waxy white film behind)

Since the fluid is a mix of light and heavy organic compounds, I was wondering if its possible to somehow separate the "bad" ones that don't evaporate from the usable stuff via distillation or something else?

Was thinking about some basic DIY sealed setup with a slow room temperature evap into a colder container that could store the condensate to simulate the environment at which the stuff that doesn't evaporate in the extraction conditions can be left behind.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Fridge
#2 Posted : 10/17/2021 6:35:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcome to the Nexus DesertWasabi!

I also just started out with extractions and I too had issues finding a suitable solvent for this purpose where I stay. After extensive research I decided to get Zippo Premium Lighter fluid. Interestingly it passed the evap test in my case. I am happy with the results I got using it.

I am not sure if there are inconsistencies regarding the quality of this solvent? Maybe someone else had bad experiences too?

Anyways, you found the right place for guidance and lots of good information on this topic Smile.
Fridge attached the following image(s):
IMG_20210829_124305.jpg (2,552kb) downloaded 110 time(s).
...no need to worry...

DesertWasabi
#3 Posted : 10/17/2021 9:17:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

From what I have read, the lighter fluids are naphthas with not enough distillation/purification.

I've been looking for other people's evap tests on the same product, and haven't found a single one that was good to go, everyone had that barely noticeable white waxy thing that looked like water evaporation residue, you are quite lucky I must say!

Congrats on that great spice!

Fridge
#4 Posted : 10/17/2021 9:38:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DesertWasabi wrote:
From what I have read, the lighter fluids are naphthas with not enough distillation/purification.

I've been looking for other people's evap tests on the same product, and haven't found a single one that was good to go, everyone had that barely noticeable white waxy thing that looked like water evaporation residue, you are quite lucky I must say!

Congrats on that great spice!

Thank you Smile!

I really hope you will find a suitable solvent for your extraction. It was definitely a good idea to come here and ask for advice. I am sure someone who is more experienced than I am will chime in shortly.
...no need to worry...

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 10/17/2021 10:48:46 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

DesertWasabi wrote:
Since the fluid is a mix of light and heavy organic compounds, I was wondering if its possible to somehow separate the "bad" ones that don't evaporate from the usable stuff via distillation or something else?
Hello and welcome to the Nexus!

I suspect you wouldn't be asking this question if you already had sufficient equipment and experience in order to distill naphtha. While it's relatively straightforward to overcome those hindrances, it could be that the easier route is simply to keep on searching for a suitable solvent. You really only have access to Zippo lighter fluid? Is there not an automotive supply store in your area?

There are some extraction methods which use other solvents such as ethanol or acetone as well:
Eco friendly extraction teks

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

PedroSanchez
#6 Posted : 10/18/2021 10:04:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

can you buy some online?
naphtha is not a suspicious chemical. around the house you can use it as a fuel and for cleaning. most of my naphtha gets used for those things so it has legit uses.
just in case that is what you are worried about.

Dirty T
#7 Posted : 10/18/2021 8:51:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Amazon, Ace, Lowe's, Home Depot all sell VM&P Naphtha. Once you get actual Naphtha cleaning is a breeze, I backsalt then calcium carbonate wash. Some people do an activated carbon wash as well but I don't care about a slight yellow tint to my solvent, it doesn't translate to the crystals.

You do need to get some Naphtha, or you could go aggressive and use Xylene then backsalt and use Bestine after you evap the residual Xylol from the acid. Xylene pulls everything including some stuff you don't really want so I always backsalt those pulls and Bestine is branded Heptane and will give the 'purest' product after basifying the salts.

DesertWasabi
#8 Posted : 10/19/2021 1:46:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:

You really only have access to Zippo lighter fluid? Is there not an automotive supply store in your area?

Zippo fluid is the cleanest solvent I can get here (besides alcohol of course). Pure Naptha is restricted and can only be bought by businesses directly from the manufacturers in industrial quantities with a lot of paperwork (same for xylene, heptane, hexane, etc)...

There are some technical grade solvents sold as "white spirits" and "paint thinners" in hardware stores, but they are either sold in plastic bottles with a color that is way too yellowish to look safe, or in cans with a lot of ingredients that aren't limited to "light petroleum distillate". I would still have to distill that stuff if I want to use it for our purposes.

downwardsfromzero wrote:

I suspect you wouldn't be asking this question if you already had sufficient equipment and experience in order to distill naphtha. While it's relatively straightforward to overcome those hindrances, it could be that the easier route is simply to keep on searching for a suitable solvent.

Yup... I have some experience with chemistry (including organic) from a couple of courses at the university (chemistry-related profession), but that was a long time ago, and the last thing I did related to it was to produce my batches of Marquis and Mecke reagents to test the stuff I buy.

If the equipment isn't expensive (and the instructions and safety of the process can be followed by anyone with straight hands and a head on the shoulders) I would gladly give it a try. Since I would be doing it with low volumes (100ml per try probably, to reduce potential damage in case something goes wrong).

I see it as a less riskier endeavor than getting the wrong kind of attention while trying to bribe people to sell me half a liter of laboratory grade stuff lol.

downwardsfromzero wrote:

There are some extraction methods which use other solvents such as ethanol or acetone as well:
Eco friendly extraction teks

I checked them a couple of days ago, but from the pictures the product looks too jungley for my test. If it would be possible to achieve the same result of product as with organic solvents, I would gladly go that way, specially because the waste would be a lot safer to get rid off without treatment and wouldn't damage nor the environment nor whatever biological waste treatment systems my city has lol.

Dirty T wrote:
Amazon, Ace, Lowe's, Home Depot all sell VM&P Naphtha.

I've seen people having shitty evap tests with the Klean-Strip. The only thing I would buy online would be something ACS grade.

DesertWasabi
#9 Posted : 10/19/2021 3:01:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 10/20/2021 2:51:54 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Great to know you have some chemistry experience. If you have the means I'd say distillation is the way to go. We'll be more than happy to answer any further questions you may have relating to this.

Depending on how much of a nerd you want to be - and how much time you have available - it's possible to make just about anything you need once you have a basic set of laboratory equipment and a good grounding in the historical roots of chemistry.

Quote:
I checked them a couple of days ago, but from the pictures the product looks too jungley for my test. If it would be possible to achieve the same result of product as with organic solvents, I would gladly go that way
Ethanol and acetone are organic solvents too Big grin

The crude ethanol extracts can be cleaned up with something like a FASA precipitation - fumaric acid and acetone. Purity will be a function of the effort you're prepared to make.

Overall, I'm looking forward to hearing reports of your efforts, perhaps if you distill some of that white spirit from a tin. What are the other ingredients in those products that you mentioned?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli