We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Help Options

Frenzal
#1 Posted : 2/7/2010 12:15:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I recently got given some pedro and decided to pot up the growing tips and one nice chunk which has three pups growing strongly.

However, I've neglected them a bit and now I've got some questions...

How come the growing tips have curled? Light? Should I have kept them standing upright while they calloused over?

The yellow patch on one of the cacti is a nasty blister where it had been in contact with the bench. I've had it face up in the sun for a few days now and it hasn't dried or healed noticeably. Is chopping it out the best option?

And how should I plant my pups do you think? Just as is, or should I divide the section again, let it callous and then plant so each pup is facing straight up? Does it matter?

Any tips or comments will be welcomed.
Frenzal attached the following image(s):
DSCF1521.JPG (1,530kb) downloaded 56 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

antichode
#2 Posted : 2/7/2010 8:23:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Frenzel

Im astonished that the tips grew so much while they were un-rooted and out of pots, that could be a an indicator of very strong genes. A trick I use to root clones is too get a bag of sulphur from online somewhere, dip the cut ends in sulphur then just place them into a pot of dry cactus mix. As long as the soil stays dry for a few weeks it should grow roots very fast, the sulphur just makes sure that the wound wont grow mould (you definately need sulphur if your taking cuttings in winter).

Just put the tips into pots and in a spot where they get sun for at least half the day (preferably morning to afternoon). I'd just plant the pupping clone as is, stick it into a pot and leave the pups on there. As for the blister, I would treat that with a little sulphur just incase its started to rot, if its not rot and you suspect its disease then cut it out... but it looks fine.

All of the clones will look very odd for a while, they will have a kink at the base where they were looking for light while you left them. But over the years this wont look like much as they will straighten out and grow thick once the roots go deep. Same with the blister, the plants will end up with all sorts of scars and cuts while they grow, but once they are 6 feet tall with many stems those little blemishes wont seem like much.

antichode
#3 Posted : 2/7/2010 8:30:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The skinny growth is why you should always try to take clones during the end of winter and beginning of spring. This gives the clone time to heal the wound before the growing season starts, then as it warms up pop it in a pot and it will be growing like crazy during summer with good even growth.

lack of light, nutrients or water is usually the most common cause of skinny growth. I had a plant that I purchased during winter, but I didnt think to change the pot... went away for a few weeks over New Years and when I got back all my other plants had taken off with almost half a foot of even growth, but this one plant had a skinny few inches. I re-potted it but it was too late, its growth has been slow this summer and it will have a skinny kink forever. Always change the soil after a few years (more often if you dont use slow release ferts), and do it before the growing season starts

Phlux-
#4 Posted : 2/8/2010 5:53:15 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

lack of light causes etiolation, iv had 30cm pups grow off cacti without roots.
if you live in a cold enough climate - let them go into dormany in the winter to prevent that.
get those dudes rooted(they like warmth) so they can really show u what they are capable of.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.