We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Trichocereus Bridgesii Pups A Lot And Frequently Drops Columns Options

Grey Fox
#1 Posted : 9/30/2021 5:38:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Something I've noticed for a few years now is that Trichocereus bridgesii tends to pup and branch out a lot, more so than the other active Trichocereus species that I grow. I believe that this is a characteristic of the species. Bridgesii pups a lot, both from the base and from higher up on the plant. And it grows quickly.

This is the pattern that I am observing:
Bridgesii columns grow tall quickly. As the main column gains height, the plant begins to send out new pups from the base and sometimes also from a foot or two above the base. Then the main column leans, and then soon after it falls over. Sometimes the column breaks off on its own. Other times it remains attached and I have to cut it off. Now there is a stump, which pups profusely. Meanwhile the older pups are gaining height. They grow taller, and then they begin to fall over. It just keeps repeating over and over. Bridgesii becomes a stump bush with many fast growing new columns. It happens over and over.

Left to their own devices all of those fallen columns would root and keep growing all around the mother plant. I believe that this is a strategy to form a thicket and expand the plant's footprint all around the mother.

All the Trichocereus do this to an extent. But Bridgesii takes it to another level. It seems very intent on spreading this way, almost like a Cholla. It wants to break off and spread vegetatively.

The columns always drop after a rain storm. They fill up with water like a camel preparing to trek into the desert. Once they stock up on water then they drop, ready to root wherever they fall.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Sunnyside
#2 Posted : 10/1/2021 2:02:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My Bridgesii are about a year and a half new.

A couple mornings ago, I was watching a couple columns leaning and leaning, wondering whether I should -

A) Stake them up
or
B) Ask the Grey Fox his opinion on them

So, I staked and tied them.

Then the Grey Fox magically showed up, and elucidated!
Sunnyside attached the following image(s):
IMG_0302.jpg (4,215kb) downloaded 104 time(s).
" Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon
"No, they never did turn me into a toad." - Pete (O Brother, Where Art Thou?)
"Are you a time traveller?" "No, I think I'm more of a time prisoner." - Nadia Vulvokov (Russian Doll)

ShamanisticVibes
#3 Posted : 10/1/2021 3:51:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It's not witches broom, is it? I'm not super well versed in cacti, but I do know that over-pupping can be a sign of the disease known as such. A quick googling will give you some photos of some cacti affected by it, if you're unfamiliar.
May we continue to be blessed

Grey Fox
#4 Posted : 10/1/2021 5:27:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice Bridgesii Sunnyside! If you let them they will fill up that space one day.

No its not witch's broom SV. Its just what Bridgesii does.

Here are some photos. Bridgesii is a very generous species. Constant production of columns. And the columns are very potent. It is an ideal backyard ally.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

ShamanisticVibes
#5 Posted : 10/1/2021 5:33:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ahhh, I see, now, Greyfox. I personally have not had any bridgesii yet, so the way you were explaining it had my mind a-wanderin'. Very cool though how it pups out from the bottom and turns into it's own diagonal column, but I can see how that can become problematic if not kept up with. Beautiful cacti, my friend!
May we continue to be blessed

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 10/1/2021 6:29:53 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Hmm, my true bridgesii aren't pupping or toppling even though one is 157cm (5' 2") and the other is 138cm (4' 6") tall. Perhaps their closed in positioning is preventing them from doing this? It's the two tallest stems in the attached pic.

It's a difficult decision whether to simply cut them for propagation or wait until next year and then stand them in a freer location. They do need bigger pots and that would make it difficult to keep them in the same position once that is the case.

The larger one is actually loosely enclosed with several sticks - not visible - that were put in to stop me getting spiked in the face when I have to move it! It did nearly topple over a couple of years ago. It seems it would be good to let nature take its course, aside from the question of space that entails.
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
IMG_5990.JPG (4,675kb) downloaded 88 time(s).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Grey Fox
#7 Posted : 10/1/2021 8:55:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DFZ that tall one in the back already looks like it has quite a lean to it growing from out of the container. That must be the one you write about being held in place by sticks. Yes you can support them with stakes once they start to lean. It will prevent them from falling over.

Also Bridgesii growing in the ground in warm, long growing season climates will grow faster and pup more than Bridgesii grown in containers in cooler, shorter season climates. With the right growing conditions Bridgesii columns often grow 12 to 18 inches a year. 2 feet of growth or more per column is also possible. Eventually you will start to see them pup and more of the columns will lean and want to drop.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 10/3/2021 11:11:00 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

The leaning one is actually in front of it, the photo is a bit crowded and confusing.

My bridgesii consistently give at least 6" of growth per year, with a season from roughly early May to late October, depending on the weather. It's getting to the stage where they'll be too big for their winter storage, if they fall over when I move them I'll take that as a sign!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Grey Fox
#9 Posted : 10/3/2021 3:53:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah I see now which cactus you were talking about. Thumbs up

You have a beautiful collection. They look very healthy.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM