We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Uses for Salvia divinorum Options

Jim Beem
#1 Posted : 9/3/2021 5:30:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Serotonergic drugs such as DMT, psilocybin and mescaline all have some of the most robust therapeutic potentials in alleviating the most severe forms of depression and anxiety, even in people whom are terminally ill. Something which cannot be said about the standardised SSRI's and benzodiazapines which require the person being treated to develop a dependency and potentially become seriously addicted to. Psychedelics like 5-MeO-DMT have the potential to extinguish these disorders within 30 minutes in comparison to SSRI's which can take months with little benefit in comparison.

Another group of drugs which also show great potential (at least preliminary) in use as medicine are the drugs which affect the kappa-opioid receptors. Ibogaine being one of which and salvinorin A being another. Both of these drugs have produced aversive and anti-addictive properties as shown by human subjects seeking relief from opiate addiction and rodents with cocaine addiction. Ibogaine seems to be quite cardiotoxic however limiting it's use as a safe medicine.

This brings me to Salvia divinorum / salvionrin A, a compound I have never tried myself but have great interest in as a medicine for treating mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety and for me personally cocaine addiction.

I just want some feedback / insight from any users or ex-users of this substance on what value it has as a medicine. Because from what I've heard so far it seems largely negative with reports of dysphoria and anhedonia with none of the empathy and feelings of inner peace you get from the classical psychedelics like DMT. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Legarto Rey
#2 Posted : 9/5/2021 5:23:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi JB, Salvia can be used as a medicinal ally. More "traditional" ROAs, quid or sublingual tincture, offer integrable congress with this power plant. Smoked, extract enhanced leaf, is typically exponentially too overwhelming for useful therapeutics.

One usually needs to practice a bit with quids or tinctures, in a dim quiet setting, to realize the intercourse with the, "shy deer".

I will report that a session or two with smoked extract, can initiate one into the Salvia "headspace" such that subsequent visits with gentler ROAs (quid, tincture) are more recognizable. Something referenced as, "reverse tolerance". Likely NOT pharmacologic, but psychologic! Once familiarized with the bizarre nature of Salvia psychotropics, recognizing the more subtle realms is not difficult.

The distinct grounding in a persons visceral, organic, mortal and physical nature of being, can indeed impart an aversive sensibility toward somatic substances like, tobacco, alcohol, opioids and cocaine.

Peace

breathingneon
#3 Posted : 9/6/2021 12:16:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

While I haven't had the most experience with Salvia, I've found that low doses of smoked extract can provide a similar headspace to higher doses of Cannabis. They are certainly not the same but I'd say can provide similarly valuable insights and provide a break from your normal mental pathways, and are similarly manageable.

The thing that I've seen with Salvia is that the "spaciness" can be unsettling for some people, and the effects build rather quick compared to the dosage (with extracts). While I am okay with handing off the keys, it can terrify others. Although, I think a lot of these fears are self perpetuated and only enhanced by Salvia.

I think it has potential, but requires much more care than the rest of your "traditional" psychedelics.
"In the dark and the deep there are truths that can always heal"