We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Side/after effects of DMT Options

Researcher
#1 Posted : 2/5/2010 1:49:52 PM
Frank N. Stein

SWIM has an order of MHRB on the way and plans on attempting to receive the full effects of DMT this time around. SWIMs question is that although he has heard/read that DMT has no or few side effects, is this true?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

gammagore
#2 Posted : 2/5/2010 1:58:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I haven't noticed any side effects, the only change that I've noticed after smoking dmt is that I've become alot calmer, more open to different views, and a hunger for more knowledge.

No physical effects have taken place.

I like to think I'm a better person after smoking DMT.

joebono
#3 Posted : 2/5/2010 2:13:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As far as physical side effects, I have not noticed any at all. There have studies done over the years in South America on people who regularly take ayahuasca and the results suggest there is no harm. If you are using caapi as part of your ritual, there is an anti-depressant effect that you can feel days after your journey. As far as smoked DMT, I don't know the long term effects on your lungs. Dr. Strassman's study in the 1990s researched the IV and IM administration of the drug and its psychological and immediate physical impact. Other than spikes in blood pressure and heartbeat, there was no obvious danger. The psychological benefits of the drug seemed inconclusive to Strassman as well. The experiences were just too odd and strange to integrate positively into many of the volunteer's lives. However, in his book and on this board, there are those who derive immense psychological gains and deeper insights into their lives and the boundaries of reality.

The psychedelic experience of oral DMT is similar to that of other tryptamines in its power to transform your beliefs and impact your soul. Smoked DMT is a different beast though. To me it bears no resemblance to the classic psychedelic trip and nothing can really prepare you for a full blown breakthrough. That being said, the breakthrough is as dramatic as your birth, as deep as infinity, and as sophisticated as the mind of God.

soulfood
#4 Posted : 2/5/2010 2:20:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

This is going to be like one of those things you read on the side off a bottle of pills where unlikely side effects can occur, but don't often.

Headaches, nausea... Refreshed view on life. Honestly I don't think there's anything too obviously negative. I've heard of some folk vomiting afterwards, though it's never happened to me. I have gotten a slight headache on a few occsions, but it's usually late at night when I'm already quite tired.

Felnik
#5 Posted : 2/5/2010 2:21:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gammagore wrote:
I haven't noticed any side effects, the only change that I've noticed after smoking dmt is that I've become alot calmer, more open to different views, and a hunger for more knowledge.

No physical effects have taken place.

I like to think I'm a better person after smoking DMT.

I couldn't agree more . The hunger for more knowledge is an interesting thing. I have found this to be very true.
I also feel I'm transforming into a better person as a result.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

ragabr
#6 Posted : 2/5/2010 2:23:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I has not personally heard of any side effects, other than similarities to gammagore. Robert Augustus Masters smoked 5-MeO-DMT and had an intense mental meltdown that lasted for years, though this is the only instance I have ever heard of something like that happening.

SWIM noticed "shadow" aspects of her personality manifest more prominently after encountering them in the DMT trance. She thinks that this may act similar to the psychic purge of ayahuasca, as she can easily see/feel the imbalance and engage with it. At first SWIM thought she were backsliding, then realized the gift offered.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

Researcher
#7 Posted : 2/5/2010 2:50:31 PM
Frank N. Stein

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. SWIM is mostly concerned with any immediate negative physical effects, which are apparently very rare.

ragabr
#8 Posted : 2/5/2010 2:57:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Followed up on RA Masters' experience and he did have extreme physical side effects including oxygen deprivation. His account can be read through amazon "inside this book" here (starts at pg. 14)
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

gammagore
#9 Posted : 2/5/2010 5:02:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ahhhh yes, thanks soulfood, silly me for forgetting this one. Nausea, almost everytime when smoking pure xtals I get a bit nauseas towards the end of the journey. At first I thought it might be cybersickness, but I almost never get this with changa. That being said I always have my vomit jug with meSmile

#10 Posted : 2/5/2010 5:15:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have never noticed any side effects other than thinking about the stuff too much! Wink It is very strange in this regard. Every other rec drug I can think of has some kind of side/after effect or comedown. Even coffee gives me a slight sensation of comedown after a few strong cups. My only guess as to why this could be is that it is a naturally occuring chemical in the body and so our systems are used to dealing with it and breaking it down.

I have never experienced nausea after smoking as others described.

I agree that the things to "worry" about are the intensity of the experience and integrating it afterwards.
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

biohazard72
#11 Posted : 2/5/2010 7:32:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Coolest thing about DMT is that when you're down, you're completely baseline without aftereffects.

Although I sometimes wish it left the same sort of pleasant afterglow that LSD seems to.

ambi-lysergance
#12 Posted : 2/5/2010 8:29:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

personally the only side/after effect I have experienced is euphoria and bewilderment.
ambi lysergance is a fictional character who in the realms of fantasy indulges in such topics as science, arts and psychoactive plant induced visions

Nime
#13 Posted : 2/5/2010 11:41:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM sometimes shakes/shivers or hands start to tremble for a few minutes to 10 minutes after returning to our world. It is probably the just from the shock of what SWIM experienced.

Also sometimes SWIM starts to breath really hard as in deep breaths in and out, it grounds him after returning back.

Improvised Labware Vapor Bubbler (continued)

I would like to make it be known that I do not actually put what I write on this website or any place into practice in the real world. I like to live a life of fantasy on the internet where I ask questions and give answers.

GodLivesHere
#14 Posted : 2/7/2010 8:42:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a friend that used to smoke ridiculous amounts of this and now has seratonin toxicity which is super rare
Nonsense.

endlessness
#15 Posted : 2/7/2010 8:45:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

no offense but, seems like nonsense indeed.... serotonin toxicity from smoking dmt? what do you mean? who gave this diagnosis, and how? more info please or its hard to believe what you say

jamie
#16 Posted : 2/7/2010 9:25:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

GodLivesHere wrote:
I have a friend that used to smoke ridiculous amounts of this and now has seratonin toxicity which is super rare

hmmm..sounds like bs to me...how do you get seratonin toxicity form something that competes for the seratonin receptor sites?
Long live the unwoke.

aetherbound
#17 Posted : 2/7/2010 10:02:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Side effects can be but are not limited to:

Euphoria
Giving up bad and harmful habits ie. drinking smoking etc
Loss of fear
A thirst for knowledge for self improvement or pleasure

I have never gotten a headache but to me it feels like a brainfreeze.
On occasion have experienced a chill.

Do not be mistaken, the spice is a sacrament and should be respected as such.
If you abuse or disrespect it, it will teach you a lesson.
All will not be revealed to you until you are readyVery happy
REMEMBER! You cant die from astonishment!
In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order..Jung
All above writing with the exception of Dr. Jung's quote is pure mushroom encrusted cowpie!

deweeb
#18 Posted : 2/8/2010 12:18:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

GodLivesHere wrote:

Quite the first post , and no documentation . But since we are on the topic the only side effects I get is sickness not from DMT but from posters who don't have the balls to respond to a statement like the above . Oh but wait how silly of me , I guess I must have missed who posted such a statement "god lives here " .

Maybe god is away on vacation and someone else is living there for now , some FT .

:evil:

BananaForeskin
#19 Posted : 2/8/2010 1:10:57 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

I've heard that SSRI + MAOI = seratonin toxicity, but obviously you wouldn't get that from DMT alone, you'd have to be on an MAOI and an anti-depressant in addition to the DMT.

Unless you're mistaking DMT with 5-MeO-DiPT? Or meth?
¤ø¸â€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸â€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸â€žø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

hexan
#20 Posted : 3/16/2011 10:56:57 AM

The Great Gatsby

Researcher wrote:
SWIM has an order of MHRB on the way and plans on attempting to receive the full effects of DMT this time around. SWIMs question is that although he has heard/read that DMT has no or few side effects, is this true?

My first proper spice experience was 5 days ago. It was white Xtals. 2 doses of 20-30mg in a machine. Experience incredible, overwhelming and charged with euphoria, v emotional.

Although there was little in the way of a traditional substance hangover I think there are psychological after effects.

Off course it would be naive to believe one could experience something so sudden, potent and profound without some sort of existential shockwave.

My sleep has been strange, I do sleep but when I wake I have the sensation I was half awake.
I think this phenomenon is decreasing with each night since blast off.

I feel I have a little jet lag, I went very far very fast and came back just as quick, I'm finding additional recollections of the experience are coming back to me in snippets.

I am obsessed with the concept and subject of spice. Thinking, talking and reading about it a lot. This adds to the heady post trip atmosphere.

Off course it depends on the individuals ability to assimilate wild far out experiences but for me, I think the few days and weeks after the spice experience need to be spent groking the experience.

I for one definitely couldnt do this more than every few months. The way I feel now I wouldn't pencil a spice date in my diary at all. I will wait until I feel ready again and leave it at that.

its given me much more to think about and consider than I thought it would.

Good luck and enjoy

H
Hexan is a fictional character.

12NEXT