We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Sassafras a hallucinogen? Really? Options

shopdropper
#41 Posted : 3/12/2010 1:53:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hmm my buddy is wanting to isolate JUST the safrole oil. Is soxhletting with say naptha or acetone followed by vaccume distillation be the correct route or would he evap the solvent then distill the resulting muck? Comments?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Mr. Kush
#42 Posted : 3/16/2010 5:05:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

good thread!

sorry if I missed this but what specimen of sassafras are you using?
this makes a big difference.
If it's sassafras albidum (which I think is what most vendors carries) then it is much weeker then some of the other specimens of sassafras out there.

69ron
#43 Posted : 3/16/2010 8:11:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The root bark used was Sassafras albidum.

Note that, SWIM cannot get effects from his sassafras anymore. I think it's no longer any good. Either that or tolerance to it lasts a super long time. He kept the sassafras in a zip lock bag. Maybe all the good stuff vaporized away? I don't know. But it doesn't do anything now.

He's going to wait maybe a week and try again with the rest of the sassafras he has. I think maybe grinding it to powder and storing it like that wasn't such a good idea. I think maybe the actives oxidized or vaporized away. I'm not sure.

Tolerance could be the issue though. The effects did last a long time, at least 24 hours or more, so maybe tolerance to it lasts a few weeks. It's possible. I've heard that iboga produces tolerance to other psychedelics that lasts a few weeks, so maybe this is what's going on.

More tests need to be done to know what's going on here.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Ginkgo
#44 Posted : 3/16/2010 8:51:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In my experience, tolerance lasts pretty much exactly ten times the duration of any substance. So if it lasted at least 24 hours, I think the tolerance will last at least 10 days.

69ron
#45 Posted : 3/16/2010 9:48:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

10 daysSad

Yeah...I kind of thought that might be an issue. The effects last way too long, and every other day it was getting weaker and weaker even though he was taking more and more. I think SWIM will need to leave it alone for at least 2 weeks before trying againSad That sucks. It was VERY NICE.

SWIM recently took some LSH, and it didn't do much at all. I kind of think SWIM now has tolerance to LSH from the sassafrasSad I'm not sure of this, maybe the LSH is just getting too old. But the sassafras after the MEK wash felt very much like LSD, so I wouldn't be too surprised if SWIM now has tolerance to a bunch of other stuffSad I hope this isn't the case.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Ginkgo
#46 Posted : 3/16/2010 1:42:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think that might very well be the case. Remember that cross-tolerance between vastly different substances such as psilocin, mescaline and LSD has been demonstrated. If the mystery substance in sassafras is similar to the TMAs (which are similar to mescaline), it would add up that it would cause cross-tolerance to LSH (which is similar to LSD). How some substances cause cross-tolerance and some do not, although they act in similar ways, is really a mystery to me.

shopdropper
#47 Posted : 3/18/2010 8:10:03 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Swim would be using S. Albidum as it is relativly easy to obtain the biomass. How "weak" is it really 10%? A kilo of rootbark would get 100g og oil appx 90% of that is safrole. Is there a better source of safrole? My buddy is finding Ocotea essential oils but they are coming under scrutiny themselves. Still available but exspensive. Should he steam distill albidum. Or is there a better source? Commments?

69ron
#48 Posted : 3/19/2010 1:28:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Why would you want the oil? I don't think the actives in sassafras are in the oil. Safrole is the main compound in the oil and is reported to be nothing more than a sedative and is not responsible for the good effects of sassafras. It's something you want removed from it, not something you want to ingest. Sassafras washed with MEK removes the safrole and other oils, and the effects are better after their removal.

shopdropper
#49 Posted : 3/19/2010 4:30:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Lol maybe I'm in the wrong thread? It is interesting that there maybe other actives in Sass. But swim is interested chiefly in the Safrole...... So with that in mind what would be the easiest and/or most efficient way of collecting the Safrole? Solvent extraction or steam distillation?

burnt
#50 Posted : 3/20/2010 3:17:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

^^in other words SWIY is interested in making mdma which we don't discuss on this cite. there are lots of other places to find that kind of information.

shopdropper
#51 Posted : 3/21/2010 6:15:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Maybe swim is intent on giving himself cancer or making root beer or perfume for the mrs. Who said anything about mdma? I'm just curious like the rest of you! Of course none of us would do anything illeagle its all for information purposes! Simply just gatherin a general concensus on the easiest way to the main constituant of sass and other plants of the like. Smile

VisualDistortion
#52 Posted : 3/21/2010 6:39:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

shopdropper wrote:
Lol maybe I'm in the wrong thread? It is interesting that there maybe other actives in Sass. But swim is interested chiefly in the Safrole...... So with that in mind what would be the easiest and/or most efficient way of collecting the Safrole? Solvent extraction or steam distillation?

There is info for your question ALL OVER the internet, your in the wrong place. Try wetdreams.ws
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

jamie
#53 Posted : 3/21/2010 7:05:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

it does sort of sound like a synth related question..and yes this info can be found in other places..
Long live the unwoke.

shopdropper
#54 Posted : 3/22/2010 4:30:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yes the info is every where. I've read a lot of it lol. Some say steam distill others solvent extraction....I just trust the insite of the users on this forum! People on the shroomery arnt as technical as a whole as y'all ar. I'm gonna tell swim use his best judgement. Probly steam distill. Thanks and sorry for hijackin your thread!

cjr23
#55 Posted : 3/26/2010 9:24:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've gathered fresh sassafras roots to make tea on several occasions. They grow all over the place where I once lived. I've never tried a cold water extract of it, but have always boiled the water and the put a tea bag of crushed rootbark in to steep (after boiling not during) for about 15-20 minutes, then add sweetener. It tastes fantastic and depending on the time of the year I pick it, it seems to have an increase in potency. The best teas I have had are around August, but say I went and picked some right now, it would be weaker probably...

The experience of drinking the tea felt much like a cup of ephedra tea to me, albeit a bit less speedy and most definitely tastier. I definitely consider a glass of it a pick-me-up, but only as much as say a couple diet pepsis would do for me. I've also tried combining ephedra with it, as well as blue lilly, both in tea form. Ephedra and sassafras was nice together, felt energetic and motivated. Another thing I noticed was that anytime I had sassafras tea or even after chewing on a piece of fresh root that ended up tasting strongly of the oils, is that smoking cannabis was very much potentiated, given the experience of smoking a sort of psychedelic kick to it. It's one of my favorite things to do while hiking, find a good piece of sassafras root, chew on it for a while and when I get to the peak of the mountain and am resting, I smoke a bowl and feel the nice little synergy between the two, and that energy helps me find the will to finish the hike.

I'm very interested now in trying a few things mentioned in this thread...

VisualDistortion
#56 Posted : 3/26/2010 10:01:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

shopdropper wrote:
Yes the info is every where. I've read a lot of it lol. Some say steam distill others solvent extraction....I just trust the insite of the users on this forum! People on the shroomery arnt as technical as a whole as y'all ar. I'm gonna tell swim use his best judgement. Probly steam distill. Thanks and sorry for hijackin your thread!

If you ever want to learn anything or be exposed to fresh new ideas, don't ever go to the shroomery. They are pretty uptight and pompous over there. In their minds what's right is right and what's wrong is wrong.
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

burnt
#57 Posted : 3/27/2010 10:25:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

if you want safrole just distill it. but yea lets not go any further on that discussion as its getting too close to something we don't like to discuss.

PREV123