We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Medicinal Bensine leaves residue after evap - how to do an evap test correctly Options

MuteUSO
#1 Posted : 7/16/2021 2:50:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi there,

As I couldn't get my hands on the typically suggested naphthas or even more pure chemical compounds (in Sweden) I resorted to 'medicinal bensine' (with an 'i'!). It is the stuff that you can get in pharmacies and is usually used to clean up wounds or residue from plaster etc.

Given that it is sold in pharmacies I thought that it was somehow medical grade and would evaporate clean, and also the msds looks quite promising as it even states that there should be less than 0.1% benzene in it. However, performing an evap test on a petri dish, I found a very slight residue (just a very thin line at the outer margin, almost not visible).

Now my suspicion is that this residue is less a problem of the solvent than it is caused by uncleanliness of the petri dish. I was wondering whether this is likely; and how to actually properly clean your evaporation surface before doing an evap test. My best effort (which I suspect is not going to cut it) was to use soap, water and (1) dry it on air (2) with a freshly washed cloth (3) or with paper towel. All of the three methods left me with some residue after evaporation.

The product I am using is 'Unimedic Medicinsk Bensin' and here comes the MSDS, in case that helps.

Thank you so much for helping out here and many blessings!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

MuteUSO
#2 Posted : 3/1/2022 9:58:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Nobody?

Syragote
#3 Posted : 3/1/2022 11:08:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

-

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 3/4/2022 3:30:59 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Sometimes the 'residue' comes from traces of oils or detergents on the evaporation surface rather than the solvent itself. Wipe the evaporation surface using a little of the solvent to be tested and a clean, lint-free cloth.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

MuteUSO
#5 Posted : 3/10/2022 10:18:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks so much Syragote for the link to the MSDS, I also changed it in the original post. And yeah, it is really faint; but it would still be nice to find out what the residue is. 'Medicinal Bensine' is otherwise interesting as an extraction solvent due to its low boiling point.

@Downwardsfromzero, thanks a lot for chiming in. I am afraid I don't really get the idea behind your suggestion. Why use the solvent to be tested to clean the testing surface?

murklan
#6 Posted : 3/10/2022 1:15:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm also in sweden and have bought the same. But my bottle is labeled "Rengörande Bensin" (Cleaning Bensin) and have an updated MSDS (here).

I made a post about it here. I also get a faint residue after evaporation, but I also get the same from Nitor Kemisk ren bensin. And I've used that for extractions for a while. (They have the same CAS nr 64742-49-0)