We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Could acetylcysteine alter the effects of ketamine? Options

dragonrider
#1 Posted : 7/3/2021 4:35:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A while ago, i had an unusually strong and psychedelic experience with ketamine. The only explanation i could think of, for why it was so unexpectedly strong and psychedelic, was that i had taken some acetylcysteine before.

From the little i know, acetylcysteine raises extracellular levels of glutamate, but inhibits the synaptic release of it.

Could acetylcysteine have been responsible for altering the effects of ketamine?
I am a little inclined to try it again, but i don't plan on doing so within the next few weeks, because i don't want to use it too regularly. (I don't want the magic to wear off, and i've heard that can happen rather fast with regular use of arylcyclohexylamines)

The experience was realy nice. Unusually stimulating and euphoric as well.
I remember one time when a smaller amount of ketamine gave me a bit of a paradoxical effect where i became hyperfocussed and sharp as a raizor instead of blurry and sedated, and i might have taken some acetylcysteine then as well.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Spiralout
#2 Posted : 7/5/2021 10:11:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know enough about biochemistry but I would say that it could absolutely have changed the effects of the ketamine, in a way different from a simple synergism of effects. NAC seems to have significant effects on metabolism; I've taken it before drinking (on multiple occasions) and needs about 4 times as much alcohol to get the same effect. I know it produces more glutathione (somehow), and this has to do with the metabolizing of alcohol, but Im' not sure about glutamate or ketamine.