We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
2019 paper using hexane, ethyl acetate, and other solvents Options

ShadedSelf
#41 Posted : 10/8/2023 11:45:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Something that crossed my mind while using this tek, does the dissolved water in the EA carry with it disolved Ca(OH)₂/plant material? Would it then make sense to do a water wash of the EA before fridge rest to get rid of that?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#42 Posted : 10/8/2023 7:20:58 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

ShadedSelf wrote:
Something that crossed my mind while using this tek, does the dissolved water in the EA carry with it disolved Ca(OH)₂/plant material? Would it then make sense to do a water wash of the EA before fridge rest to get rid of that?

The water, itself being dissolved in a less polar solvent, will be largely incapable of carrying significant amounts of the already poorly soluble calcium hydroxide. I suspect a water wash would be superfluous at best.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

plantatron
#43 Posted : 11/1/2023 2:23:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some updates and questions:

The EA from my previous post seemed water-free, so I didn't decant again and added the citric acid directly. Honey precipitated. All went and looked well, just the yield seemed a little low from eyeballing it. I suspect the low yield came from having a very "thick" paste (like modelling clay) that was quite demanding to stir for minutes in the EA. Also a spoon was used to stir, which was likely not as good as using a fork.

I don't have scale that can do a 0.1g accuracy and take 400g jars, so I came up with this "genius" method: just add the 0.08 parts of PG/VG, i.e. 2g for the 25g MHRB starting material and put the jar in a hot water bath. After a while, the honey dissolved into the juice and created a nice amber looking liquid. The idea was to then weigh the resulting juice and potentially add more PG/VG in case of higher yield or have a little less strong juice (fine for testing). What was strange about this is that the final juice did weigh pretty much exactly 2g - the same amount as the PG/VG that was added. The scale isn't the best, but I'm sure about my operation of it and it's quite weird. Even with very low yield, let's say, 100mg of citrate honey, shouldn't that register? I ordered a 2kg/0.1g scale, so that hopefully won't be an issue in the future, but is it feasible that around 100 to 500mg of PG/VG slowly evaporated during the mixing in the heat bath?

Anyway, based on this, another trial was done: this time with a little more water: 40ml (vs. the 37.5ml before). This made for a nicely fluid paste that was way easier to stir. Also, this time a fork was used for stirring. Maybe going a little off-script, for the final pull, the paste was also put in the coffee filter and pressed. Some brown-ish oil made it through the filter, so the liquid was immediately decanted, but a small amount of the brownish stuff made it through the filter again.

This liquid was chilled in the fridge overnight, again water couldn't be determined, but the liquid was decanted through a coffee filter, leaving the brown stuff and a good sip of liquid behind. The liquid now looked great, so citric acid was added, which caused nice slow clouds. After 3 days, there is now preciptated honey, but it looks even less than last time. Additionally, there is a thin layer on top of the liquid. The layer does fluoresce, so I guess, that most of the DMT is still in that layer.

So what is this layer and how would one best rectify this? I guess that layer is water, but shouldn't that be at the bottom?

There seem to be 2 options, but maybe both are wrong:

1) pipette off the layer, let it evap/dry, then wash with EA
2) pipette off the layer, add Ca(OH)2 to base, let it dry, pull with EA, add this EA back to the main jar and let the citric acid do its work

I guess (2) would be more safe to yield a clean product, but how much Ca(OH)2 would be good? Would too much cause problems?
Blissful and in wonderment, out in the open, on a mountain top, beneath a blueish star-laden sky.

downwardsfromzero
#44 Posted : 11/2/2023 12:03:22 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

platatron wrote:
is it feasible that around 100 to 500mg of PG/VG slowly evaporated during the mixing in the heat bath?
No, but it is feasible that that amount of water will have evaporated from the system since all the materials are hygroscopic at RT.

Use option 2 to clean up the contaminated citrate. My guess would be that you'd need to use sufficient lime for a workable amount of paste. An excess shouldn't be problematic, especially if your pulls are made as quickly as possible.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

PREV123