We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A billion what? Options

bowels
#1 Posted : 6/28/2021 5:12:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Here's an article in today's paper, (UNC Professor On A Quest...by Zachery Eanes, zeanes@newsobserver.com) about a professor's Darpa-funded research which aims to develop a "tripless" psychedelic for use as a antidepressant drug. (Reminds me of the adage about showers and raincoats, but that's just me).

Anyway, according to the article researchers will use "Ultra Large Scale Docking", (which I guess is a powerful computational tool), to generate "a billion theoretical psychedelic compounds" in their search for one that delivers their tripless trip. Please stop here and reread the previous sentence. A BILLION theoretical psychedelic compounds? Yes, a billion, aka a thousand million theoretical psychedelic compounds. That's a lot.

Imagine if instead of looking for a medicinal oxymoron they worked toward developing the perfect psychedelic, wouldn't that be great? And I am no scientist but I'd think that the information resulting from a study like this could be used in that way. Just saying.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

CrazyAstronaut
#2 Posted : 6/28/2021 6:12:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One has to wonder about his theoretical groundwork. From what you tell us, it sounds to me like he is a follower of that school of thought, who believe thoroughly in the mechanical universe, where for every psychosomatic malfunction there is likewise a mechanical solution. Just popp a pill and be well.

Or do you think he also believes, that psychological problems can originate in deep rooted misconfigurations of relationship toward one's self and the world in general, that need some hard work to fix and probably some painful experiences along the way?

I wonder, who will try out all these compounds? Surprised Very happy

But you mentioned a hypothetical perfect psychedelic, without further elaborations. I think that needs clarification. What would a perfect psychedelic be like, for you?

BTW: Hello and welcome to the DMT-Nexus! Smile

Tomtegubbe
#3 Posted : 6/28/2021 6:20:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wonder how this is hypothesized to work. You pop the pill and won't feel sad about the things that brought you down previously? You began making better choices in your life without realizing why your previous choices have lead you to this point?

It's very difficult to have the flexibility of mind that allows you to see your life in new light and change the course of your actions without having the experience of expanded consciousness, a.k.a. the trip. When breakthroughs happen on therapy sessions or pilgrimages it may feel like an altered state of mind. It's very difficult to just rationalize your troubles away.
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

Voidmatrix
#4 Posted : 6/28/2021 6:27:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Sounds like the facilitators of this experiment aren't very familiar with the psychedelic experience... the trip factor is part of the healing and reprogramming of mental patterns.

I can guess that there may be one individual rolling over in his grave at this (RIP Shulgin).

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

dragonrider
#5 Posted : 6/28/2021 7:24:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is most likely that these compounds already exist. And are already being used in, very often, traditional medicine.

Tryptamines, phenethylamines, beta carbolines, etc, are everywhere.

bowels
#6 Posted : 6/28/2021 9:21:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

To me, the fact of this research seems like wonderful news. The fact that big brains,(and big money),are focusing on ways we cab use psychedelics to make ourselves better is a great step.

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 6/28/2021 10:40:50 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

bowels wrote:
Imagine if instead of looking for a medicinal oxymoron they worked toward developing the perfect psychedelic
Nature beat them already, it's called mescaline Big grin

Also, this post links to another article about the same research.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Voidmatrix
#8 Posted : 6/29/2021 12:03:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

bowels wrote:
To me, the fact of this research seems like wonderful news. The fact that big brains,(and big money),are focusing on ways we cab use psychedelics to make ourselves better is a great step.

I feel that an unfortunate downside would be the further criminalization of true psychedelics that have benefitted many of us so much over time. This seems predicated on "altering one's mind is wrong, and we in power say so, so will try to hinder and stop it."

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

shroombee
#9 Posted : 6/29/2021 1:02:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Voidmatrix wrote:
Sounds like the facilitators of this experiment aren't very familiar with the psychedelic experience... the trip factor is part of the healing and reprogramming of mental patterns.

Yes, interrupting our everyday thoughts and being shown a different reality is what sets the healing process in motion.

dreamer042
#10 Posted : 6/29/2021 1:54:07 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

CrazyAstronaut wrote:
I wonder, who will try out all these compounds? Surprised Very happy

Challenge accepted! Cool
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca