We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
UV fluorescence of active acacia bark (and maybe more?) - help wanted! Options

ThresholdExplorer
#1 Posted : 6/21/2021 10:45:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey gang! Thanks for the promotion - big love!

I thought that I would stick this information in a more relevant location so that it might draw some attention from the community and maybe get some others on board for a bit of testing. Personally, I think that this is a HUGE find and could greatly aid in identification / sustainable harvesting of active acacias.

I have done a fairly detailed write up of my findings over at my introduction essay so if you want the full detailed story and a bit of perspective head over here:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=96775

In short, I have found that active A. Obtusifolia bark when scraped down to a certain layer glows bright bright blue under UV light. I'm suspecting this is concentrated DMT as no inactive acacia that I have tested glows this way nor does any other tree that I have checked.

I've also found that this is a great way to ID dead, fallen material & trees leading to a much more sustainable form of gathering material. It seems that the phyllodes even glow in the dead of night - some more than others (potentially indicating a higher alkaloid content?)

Moving forward what we need is more testing! I'm calling out for anyone growing active acacia that's able - get a UV light and lets gather some data! The UV light that I used was just a cheap 365nm torch from eBay but I expect anything close to that wavelength would be fine.

I'm also not sure exactly what layer of the bark this technically is. It seems to vary in depth and sort of form "veins" that flow much deeper at some points. Looking at a detailed breakdown of outer bark it could be the Phellogen, Pheloderm or Phloem layer.

Another test that I want to do is to seperate this blue layer and do an extraction on only that material and see how it compares to the rest of the layers. Does anyone have any knowledge as to what exact layer contains the dmt? All of them to some degree?

I've attached some pictures so that anyone not wanting to go and read my very long post can visually see what I'm on about.
ThresholdExplorer attached the following image(s):
UVTop.jpg (103kb) downloaded 249 time(s).
Top.jpg (70kb) downloaded 246 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Woolmer
#2 Posted : 6/21/2021 2:00:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is amazing! I think I will jump on board and give this a go.

Would a 390-400nm UV torch work?

In your previous post, you mention extractions that you did on A. Confusa, A. Acuminata. Did you check the fluorescence on these?

If it holds true for other species this will save so much time and resources when testing for potential local actives.

Jagube
#3 Posted : 6/21/2021 8:58:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Does DMT even glow blue?

I have a jar of ACRB alk acetates extracted with naphtha and all I can see is a pale green glow. It could be harmala contamination, as harmalas (maybe even only harmaline) glow at very low concentrations and all my kitchenware must have traces of it.

Tony6Strings
#4 Posted : 6/21/2021 11:12:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My dmt doesnt glow under uv light, I've tested my whole kit of white crystal and full spectrum from mimosa and acacia confusa.

However. Benzyme has dmt oil which glows under uv. Maybe it has to be in solution? I know this is true with say glowing harmalas for instance.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

ThresholdExplorer
#5 Posted : 6/22/2021 12:21:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A few things.

390 - 400nm should work but this probably needs testing. Sadly I had not yet played around with UV when I did the Confusa and Acuminata extracts.

In my experience dmt does seem to glow blue in a reasonably saturated solution. Maybe others aren't seeing this due to the specific wavelength? I'm not sure. My pure white crystals don't glow when dry, but when I took a fair amount of that same dmt from initial dcm pulls in to a clean "backsalt" that was quite saturated (1L with just around 7G in solution) the clear solution glowed brilliantly blue - much lighter than what you see in the bark. Saturated naptha pulls after basing were much brighter again.

I've seen the same glow from an oily acuminata extract so I expect you're right there Tony. I noticed there seem to be a lot of raving posts on reddit relating to dmt fluorescing in solution - might be worth a search over there.

SHYBZY
#6 Posted : 6/22/2021 8:42:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Wow 5iver,
This will be a game changer for noobs like me. It would save people a lot of time and money.
Thanx for the info will def be trying this out.Big grin

ThresholdExplorer
#7 Posted : 7/12/2021 2:51:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been playing with some chemistry on the side and found that melatonin also glows under UV. Very similar blue to DMT in solution. Could it be that anything with a tryptamine ring structure glows?

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 7/12/2021 10:34:54 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

5iver wrote:
I've been playing with some chemistry on the side and found that melatonin also glows under UV. Very similar blue to DMT in solution. Could it be that anything with a tryptamine ring structure glows?

Yes, the indole bit glows. So will tryptophan, and gramine for that matter.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

PedroSanchez
#9 Posted : 7/20/2021 9:43:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i have always wished there was a UV light type solution for finding mushrooms. never actually experimented with it though.

watching this thread out of interest. thank you for the info

MachineCogElf
#10 Posted : 11/16/2021 6:16:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Having seen the fluorescence of obtusifolia myself I was a little surprised that it seemed every acacia I tried didn't fluoresce. I tried a few extractions to see if I had to extract the dmt first but being a bit lazy I left the plant material in. What I found was just soaking plant material in a strongly basic solution (sodium bicarb doesn't work) the plant material started glowing.

As I have tested more and more acacias I have found this to be a very effective test. It also seems you can tell the quantity of dmt in the material based on the amount it fluoresces.
MachineCogElf attached the following image(s):
20211116_110340.jpg (3,344kb) downloaded 113 time(s).
20211116_110358.jpg (3,337kb) downloaded 111 time(s).
20211116_110354.jpg (3,358kb) downloaded 113 time(s).

MachineCogElf
#11 Posted : 11/16/2021 6:22:39 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What is really interesting is that not all leaves glow even when they are picked at the same time and look otherwise identical.

ThresholdExplorer
#12 Posted : 11/17/2021 1:50:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Love this! This is a super nice quick test for potential tryptamine content/indole ring.. Am also noticing that from the same tree I can pick two phyllodes no more than an inch appart and one might glow, the other might not at all...

Does this mean some phyllodes are active while others are not? Lots to ponder!