We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
sodium citrate solubility in acetone Options

titus
#1 Posted : 6/4/2021 11:41:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It has just dawned on me that since citric acid and DMT citrate are soluble in acetone, shouldn't the same go for sodium citrate? If so, if one were to do an acetone pull on an evaporated solution of alkaloids that had been initially extracted in a citric acid solution, which was then based with sodium carbonate, there would be contamination problems, no? If this is the case, would using freezing-temp acetone be viable for picking up alkaloids but minimising this contam?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 6/6/2021 5:45:21 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

That's one line of reasoning but it won't necessarily be valid.

I don't have any figures to hand (without searching the internet) so I'll stick with this suggestion - it's likely to be equally as important to use dry (anhydrous) acetone if you want to minimise the solubility of sodium citrate in said solvent.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Hailstorm
#3 Posted : 6/9/2021 10:36:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Drying acetone is notoriously difficult, since it undergoes aldol condensation with itself and always exists in equilibrium with some diacetone alcohol and water.

The best drying agent for acetone is boric anhydride (boron trioxide), but it is somewhat hard to find and tricky to make as it involves heating boric acid above 350°C. The second best option is 3Å molecular sieves for no longer than 6 hours followed by their removal.

I would simply rinse the final product with a bit of freezer-cold concentrated ammonia - it will remove any water-soluble impurities (such as sodium acetate) that did not co-crystallize with DMT, and evaporate cleanly.