We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Changes in experience of aphantasia during and after DMT use Options

A Single Step
#1 Posted : 5/29/2021 5:45:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I just realized today that I have aphantasia while YouTube surfing. I am unable to create internal "object" images, at least in my waking consciousness. For instance, I can't name something, like my bicycle, and then close my eyes and see it in my mind. On the other hand, the few dreams that I can remember had a strong visual component. My few (lower dose) DMT and (sometimes high dose) RC experiences also had visual aspects. I just read this write-up about DMT possibly reversing aphantasia:

https://akjournals.com/v...2054/2/2/article-p74.xml

This article discusses the distinction between abilities to visualize "object imagery" vs "spatial imagery". I haven't finished reading it yet, but I am excited to share:

https://scholarscompass.vcu.edu/etd/5599/

I realize that while I can conjure only a dim picture of a bicycle derailleur, I can clearly visualize it's shape, motion and functional attributes in an abstract way.

Has anyone here had temporary or permanent changes in their ability to visualize objects with DMT or other psychedelic use? Has anyone used DMT with this intention?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

ShamensStamen
#2 Posted : 5/29/2021 6:15:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

For me personally, i seem to have aphantasia, and i've noticed that taking Harmalas/Rue helps me be able to mentally visualize things, otherwise i can't really visualize anything. DMT hasn't been particularly visual for me, smoked or orally, although i've never smoked pure DMT, just Changa. I think Psilocin in the form of Psilohuasca seems to be a bit more visual as far as open and closed eyed visuals go. Oral DMT has given me some open eyed visuals, and some fairly mild hard to make out and dim closed eyed visuals when i was really trying to focus on the visuals, but i barely ever get closed eyed visuals. As far as the Harmalas go, i tend to be able to visualize things better with my eyes open, focusing on that mental imagery space, whereas with eyes closed, it's mainly black but i can still visualize a good bit. Dream-wise i get visual dreams just fine, especially if i take something GABAergic or Cholinergic/anti-Cholinergic, but in my waking state, nadda unless i'm taking Harmalas/Rue. I wonder if there's something brain wave related or if it's just something to do with the brain itself.

bismillah
#3 Posted : 5/30/2021 8:23:23 PM

My Personalized Tag

I think aphantasia is just another bit of hype science nonsense to come along, kind of like tetrachromacy tests and other self-diagnosed illnesses / abilities.

As far as I can tell, basically nobody has the ability to vividly see an object in their mind as if it were really there. It's always a shady impression of the shape, with vague detail and fleeting clarity. Apparently Nikola Tesla could actually *see* in his mind's eye, but since he's dead we can't ask him what that's like.

I grew up really interested in visual arts, and that hobby has really honed my visual imagination. Nevertheless, if I watched one of those aphantasia videos and didn't know better, I'd assume I have it because of the vagueness of the language. Can you actually perceive the object true to life, or is it just blackness with a strong feeling as if you were looking at something?

That said, DMT does make it easier to visualize things. IF I can wrench control of my mind long enough to see what I actually intend!
If visualizing things normally is like drawing with black marker on a blackboard, DMT is like coloring in the lines with some chalk.

I sometimes have strong flashes and daydreams (sober). In those rare moments it does feel lifelike , but I have no control over when those fleeting moments occur really. I wouldn't even call that imagination so much as a waking dream.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

A Single Step
#4 Posted : 6/9/2021 2:28:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

@bismillah, @ShamensStamen, Your experience sounds a lot like mine. I have a sense of an object, the outlines, but not a true to life image. The harder I try to make the picture the more the screen goes black. If I let myself just become aware of images as they pass through my minds eye, I actually get more detail. I have had vivid dreams of colorful abstract shapes. Recent DMT experiences at 10mg have had beautiful, colorful closed eye visualizations. I can't believe what my brain is capable of and feel so grateful, but unfortunately I can't take it back with me.

@bismillah, there is no way you can tell if anyone has the ability to vividly see an object. All you can do is project your own experience onto others, or assume they are telling the truth when it comes to such matters.