We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Science paper: LSD flattens the brain’s energy landscape Options

downwardsfromzero
#1 Posted : 5/22/2021 4:33:07 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Pretty interesting work, pre-published recently here

"LSD flattens the brain’s energy landscape: evidence from receptor-informed network control theory"
S. Parker Singleton, Andrea I. Luppi, Robin L. Carhart-Harris, Josephine Cruzat, Leor Roseman, Gustavo Deco, Morten L. Kringelbach, Emmanuel A. Stamatakis, Amy Kuceyeski
Quote:
Abstract

Psychedelics like lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) offer a powerful window into the function of the human brain and mind, by temporarily altering subjective experience through their neurochemical effects. The RElaxed Beliefs Under Psychedelics (REBUS) model postulates that 5-HT2a receptor agonism allows the brain to explore its dynamic landscape more readily, as suggested by more diverse (entropic) brain activity. Formally, this effect is theorized to correspond to a reduction in the energy required to transition between different brain-states, i.e. a “flattening of the energy landscape.” However, this hypothesis remains thus far untested. Here, we leverage network control theory to map the brain’s energy landscape, by quantifying the energy required to transition between recurrent brain states. In accordance with the REBUS model, we show that LSD reduces the energy required for brain-state transitions, and, furthermore, that this reduction in energy correlates with more frequent state transitions and increased entropy of brain-state dynamics. Through network control analysis that incorporates the spatial distribution of 5-HT2a receptors, we demonstrate the specific role of this receptor in flattening the brain’s energy landscape. Also, in accordance with REBUS, we show that the occupancy of bottom-up states is increased by LSD. In addition to validating fundamental predictions of the REBUS model of psychedelic action, this work highlights the potential of receptor-informed network control theory to provide mechanistic insights into pharmacological modulation of brain dynamics.

Significance Statement
We present a multi-modal framework for quantifying the effects of a psychedelic drug (LSD) on brain dynamics by combining functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), diffusion MRI (dMRI), positron emission tomography (PET) and network control theory. Our findings provide support for a fundamental theory of the mechanism of action of psychedelics by showing that LSD flattens the brain’s energy landscape, allowing for more facile and frequent state transitions and more temporally diverse brain activity. We also demonstrate that the spatial distribution of serotonin 2a receptors - the main target of LSD - is key for generating these effects. This approach could be used to understand how drugs act on different receptors in the brain to influence brain function.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Loverofallthings
#2 Posted : 5/25/2021 2:14:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Very interesting. Thank for posting this; it’s the kind of stuff I love finding in the nexus.

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 5/25/2021 1:15:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Loverofallthings wrote:
Very interesting. Thank for posting this; it’s the kind of stuff I love finding in the nexus.

I found it in the Guardian (UK newspaper) online and traced it back to source Laughing It's good when newspapers actually provide that information.

So, how does flattening of my brain's energy landscape lead to eight hours of convulsive laughter? Is it that practically any and all of the assumptions underpinning culture are inherently ridiculous?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Voidmatrix
#4 Posted : 5/26/2021 12:28:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Well with that, I think someone is gonna start microdosing a little Lucy to see how it helps with productivity and speed in changing tasks and establishing focus after said task change. Thank you for sharing this gem of info.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽