We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
SOMA Options

Elpo
#1 Posted : 2/3/2010 7:51:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have seen the manifesting the mind documentary on youtube, pretty interesting. Was wondering what you guys think Soma was? Any of you read any good books on this subject?

Peace
Elpo
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

PsiloCyborg
#2 Posted : 2/3/2010 10:04:06 PM

Rob

I'm not nearly as well versed in Hindu tradition as those who speculated on the identity of Soma in Manifesting the Mind but I think the Amanita Muscaria can be safely discounted...despite possible chemical variations between families of Amanita it is definitely NOT a visionary drug in my experience. Aside from that your guess is as good as mine but I do find it suggestive that the Vedic texts refer to it several times as having been extracted from the stalks of plants...don't hold me to this but i'm going with tea made from Psilocybin Mushrooms.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." ~Douglas Adams

sunshineandsmiles
#3 Posted : 2/3/2010 10:11:55 PM

Sol-Id

That sounds plausable...psilocybin mushrooms have been credited with inspiring many religious/spiritual texts...including lots of the Corpus Hermetica and The Gnostic Gospels amongst others.

Does the Bhagavad Ghita make any reference to mushrooms? I mean to read it at some point Smile
TIME WILL TELL...

Oncewas
#4 Posted : 2/3/2010 10:15:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Arundo Donax + Syrian Rue is this guys guess.

biopsylo
#5 Posted : 2/3/2010 10:30:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

it was suggested by some that it may have been a combo of syrian rue, opium, psilocybe, and amanita muscaria.
in his book mushrooms and mankind, James arthur describes his experience with this mixture.

this pic taken from pharmacractic inquisition video -gnostic media, free google video
biopsylo attached the following image(s):
soma?.jpg (252kb) downloaded 221 time(s).

Kartikay
#6 Posted : 2/3/2010 10:45:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Because of archeological digs that found pots with traces of cannabis, poppy and ephedra, I believe that Soma was most likely a mixture of those three ingredients. Some digs found no containers with poppy, so I think that this was an optional ingredient. It may have helped to ensure a "good" or euphoric trip.
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

Kartikay
#7 Posted : 2/3/2010 10:51:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

@biopsylo: OMG JESUS KNEW ABOUT COMPUTER CURSORS! haha. couldn't resist. Yeah it seems that Christianity had mushrooms integrated into the religion at its conception, Vedic Hindus/Buddhists had some mixture called Soma, and Islam seems to have had cannabis. The Jews are missing out.
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

Spicegnosis
#8 Posted : 2/3/2010 10:54:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

biopsylo wrote:
it was suggested by some that it may have been a combo of syrian rue, opium, psilocybe, and amanita muscaria.
in his book mushrooms and mankind, James arthur describes his experience with this mixture.

this pic taken from pharmacractic inquisition video -gnostic media, free google video

Thats is a great picture biopsylo.

http://www.moleiro.com/base.php?p=SG/en

Entheogens,the original human rites

fourthripley
#9 Posted : 2/3/2010 11:18:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

PsiloCyborg wrote:
I think the Amanita Muscaria can be safely discounted...despite possible chemical variations between families of Amanita it is definitely NOT a visionary drug in my experience.

I disagree, IME Amanita intoxication at the right dose can be strongly 'visionary', whatever that means. There is something- and I would find it very difficult to explain how I intuit this- of the 5meo experience in it, despite their obvious pharmacological incompatibility. Both materials are drugs that lack the visual profile of more 'classic' psychedelics but have a definite yet subtle visual aspect to their make-up.
mistakes were made

elofer
#10 Posted : 2/3/2010 11:38:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

this is an iteresting subject..for sure amanita could and prolly was influential...I for one have picked prepeared and used amanitas fr many years. and athough it seems ALOT of people have no effects or unpleasant effects..even some of the psychedellic 'guru's' of our time...I can say without doubt that these fungi change a person on the deepest of levels..it is definetly a "christ conciousness" kind of energy, amazing ideas and seeing connections over vast timelines and experiences happening quite quickly, very very blissfull and energizing..its almost hard not to run around, dance and act giddy! and the clarity and empathy are fucking MAGNIFIED!!! fucking magnified!!!
I feel these fungi work on a level that most miss entirely, unless they are used to working on this level in sobriety...they will prolly miss the exprience entirely...another thought I had as well is that the 'spirit' in the fungus is selective whith whom it choses to enter and show what it's powe is...for me it is one of the most profound plants iv'e ingested..and i've used just about all of the psychoactive plants at one time or another...as I said its not o in your face like spice or psylocybes..its very subtle.....but if one dives into that subtlety there is deapths, such deapths.
I feel that the attitude these days is for a substance to do all the work for you, and if it dosn't then its devalued. amanita is one that amplifies aspects of ourselves, only if we work with it..my god its worth it!!!

Ginkgo
#11 Posted : 2/3/2010 11:38:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Metta wrote:

How come? There are no, absolutely none, proofs of historical use of Syrian Rue as a hallucinogenic. Not Arundo donax either, to my knowledge.

biopsylo: That picture is from a German church from the 1500's, if I remember correctly. That proves absolutely nothing. We are talking way longer back than 500 years ago.

Amanita muscaria is my best bet. Only this herb can fit all the descriptions being made of Soma. If you do not believe mighty Amanita can provide visions, you seriously need to investigate this mushroom more. It is so beautiful. So enlightening. So different, so strange. You can use it whatever way you want, as a sedative, as a stimulant, as an entheogen... The visions are not as pronounced as Ayahuasca or smoked DMT, but they are - combined with the mental effects - even more enlightening, if you ask me.

elofer
#12 Posted : 2/3/2010 11:39:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I WANT A POSTER OF THAT PICTURE!!!!

universecannon
#13 Posted : 2/3/2010 11:49:37 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Evening Glory wrote:
Metta wrote:

So different, so strange. You can use it whatever way you want, as a sedative, as a stimulant, as an entheogen...

Can you explain how it can be used as a stimulant and sedative?

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Ginkgo
#14 Posted : 2/3/2010 11:53:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

UniverseCannon wrote:
Evening Glory wrote:
So different, so strange. You can use it whatever way you want, as a sedative, as a stimulant, as an entheogen...

It is all about intention. If you want to sleep, you can eat half a gram or two grams, and sleep well. If you eat the same amount early in the morning, with the intention of getting energy, you will get energy throughout your day. The same goes if you want visions. If you enter the trip with the intention of watching a film, you will not get that at all. You will probably purge and sweat like a maniac, and frankly, I think that suits anyone that tries to use this as a drug. If you enter with the intention of receiving enlightenment - from your heart - you will receive that. Work with Amanita, and you will learn. Really, this is as close to a wonder herb you can come. No wonder they praised Soma that much. It really can't be anything else than Amanita.

universecannon
#15 Posted : 2/3/2010 11:58:56 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Evening Glory wrote:
UniverseCannon wrote:
Evening Glory wrote:

It is all about intention. If you want to sleep, you can eat half a gram or two grams, and sleep well. If you eat the same amount early in the morning, with the intention of getting energy, you will get energy throughout your day. Work with Amanita, and you will learn. Really, this is as close to a wonder herb you can come.

Are you just chewing them up or doing it a different way? I've heard the method of prep changes the trip.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

biopsylo
#16 Posted : 2/4/2010 12:01:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
biopsylo: That picture is from a German church from the 1500's, if I remember correctly. That proves absolutely nothing. We are talking way longer back than 500 years ago.

im not trying to prove anything. i doubt there will be any proving one way or another.

i am simply passing on information i have come across. Obviously soma is older than stained glass, but folk art is a way of preserving and 'secretly' relaying information. possibly in the 1500's the knowledge of soma was still known? im sure it still is by a few--very few.

Ginkgo
#17 Posted : 2/4/2010 12:01:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am heating them for a good, long time, to ensure most of the ibotenic acid is converted to muscimol. Then I either eat them in some other food (my favorite), make a tea or just swallow the pieces with some water. The tea does not taste good, especially if it is strong, but you can place some other tasty herbs in it. My advice is to learn how to cook with it, Amanita tastes delicious if cooked correct (do not overheat it!!). I don't notice any real difference with the method used. Although, you must eat the European ones. The American Amanita Muscaria are close to worthless, as they have a very different alkaloid makeup!

elofer
#18 Posted : 2/4/2010 12:03:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

YES!!! that is exactly it evening glory! exactly like I said..its something you have to work with..not be taken by...it is one of the best herbs I know of for extremely deep meditative states///I have found that combining the amanitas with sacred lotus flowers and cannabis to be every bit as visionary as psylocybes..just in a very different way..very much internal..no words really just absolutly amazing..I am sooo thanlfull for them..they are the silk road that connects all the roots, the original internet..they have told me that anywhere in the universe there are trees..there they will be found...and that they were part of how we came to be on this plannet! I feel that this mushroom is the most user friendly..easiest to work with instead of having no control over the experience like with aya or spice ( don't get me wrong, I value those a great deal as well)

PsiloCyborg
#19 Posted : 2/4/2010 12:06:55 AM

Rob

Evening Glory wrote:
Amanita muscaria is my best bet. Only this herb can fit all the descriptions being made of Soma. If you do not believe mighty Amanita can provide visions, you seriously need to investigate this mushroom more. It is so beautiful. So enlightening. So different, so strange. You can use it whatever way you want, as a sedative, as a stimulant, as an entheogen... The visions are not as pronounced as Ayahuasca or smoked DMT, but they are - combined with the mental effects - even more enlightening, if you ask me.

SWIM has only taken Amanita Muscaria twice, both times experiencing a sedative and slightly deliriant effect. What you're saying makes sense though, he may need to give the Amanita another look. Shocked
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." ~Douglas Adams

elofer
#20 Posted : 2/4/2010 12:09:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

agreed,cooking them is the key to having the best of them..stirfry!! I like tea the best...I make a tea of:
amanita mushrooms, reishi mushrooms, turkey tail mushrooms, GINGER, add whatever sounds good to you or whatever kind of tea you like..how about amanita chia!!??? just make sure to boil the mushrooms for at least a few minnutes
a bit of peppermint, pinch of cayanne, a bit of honey to taste...you really want to experience these fungi..try this tea next time you take psylocybes!! and notice how much different the trip is...or even better..make some hot chocolate with this tea and add some cannabutter to it..start in the morning..I can almost guarantee you'll have a memorable day!

123NEXT