FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV1617181920NEXT»
The Art of Art Van D'lay Options

null24
#341 Posted : 11/12/2021 5:41:59 AM

Not a derogatory robot, since 1969

Welcoming committeeModerator

Bill Cipher wrote:
Thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words and support.

I actually had a long and productive conversation with the project manager yesterday, and I believe now that 100% of the resistance I've been getting over the past week has come from him and not from the brand holder. I drew my line in the sand and it appears that we're okay. They want to move forward with what I'm giving them, so crisis averted for the moment.

Right on, good news. Stick to your guns, not your pride I always say...and sometimes doThumbs up
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Trippy glass for trippy people.

ShamanisticVibes
#342 Posted : 11/14/2021 1:05:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Bill Cipher wrote:
Thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words and support.

I actually had a long and productive conversation with the project manager yesterday, and I believe now that 100% of the resistance I've been getting over the past week has come from him and not from the brand holder. I drew my line in the sand and it appears that we're okay. They want to move forward with what I'm giving them, so crisis averted for the moment.

That is great news, Bill! Sometimes I feel like the universe is testing our resolve in these instances. And the reward for staying true to oneself is much greater than the reward one would get if they allowed their resolve to be shaken. Glad things are working out for you, bud. Hope to see some new stuff sooner than later!
Jack of few trades, Master of none, Student of all

Bill Cipher
#343 Posted : 11/14/2021 6:18:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ShamanisticVibes wrote:
That is great news, Bill! Sometimes I feel like the universe is testing our resolve in these instances. And the reward for staying true to oneself is much greater than the reward one would get if they allowed their resolve to be shaken. Glad things are working out for you, bud. Hope to see some new stuff sooner than later!

Greatly appreciated.

My wife on the other hand (who could not be any less supportive of anything whatsoever related to my art) rolled her eyes as if to say of course you fucked this up, and then actually said that I was throwing away an opportunity over narcissism.

Whateva. I cannot wait to prove her wrong and route all subsequent income to a bank account she can't access.

Seeingisbelieving
#344 Posted : 11/14/2021 6:24:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You're amazing and you belong right up there at the top. Keep doing you man. If I were you I'd take the first check I cashed and buy my lady a nice fat jewel. Kill her with kindness...

Bill Cipher
#345 Posted : 11/14/2021 11:17:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Seeingisbelieving wrote:
You're amazing and you belong right up there at the top. Keep doing you man. If I were you I'd take the first check I cashed and buy my lady a nice fat jewel. Kill her with kindness...

Thank you very much.

The thing is you know, I kind of live with these characters for months as I’m fleshing them out, and I’m constantly formulating stories as I go that direct who and what they become.

This guy was intended from the start as kind of the patron saint of not giving a fuck, so the idea of watering him down at the end in order to not offend the only people who might be likely to take offense (and who just happen to be the very same people I’m always happy to offend) felt insincere and hypocritical.

Again, this is probably why I really don’t ever collaborate. Maybe she’s right and I am a narcissist, but I’m just not ready to make those kinds of concessions, plain and simple.

And I’m not buyin’ her shit.

Touchy subject.

Seeingisbelieving
#346 Posted : 11/15/2021 3:05:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

haha I hear you man.. especially about the relationship issues. I've been battling for the past 9 years. Hanging on by a thread currently.

All of us artists are a little bit narcissistic. At least we aren't like the ones on facebook, instagram and reddit..you know the type.. who post their faces and full ass shots with their artwork lmao. I cringe a little every time but I get it. We're all a bit insecure and they got to get their attention somehow.

Bill Cipher
#347 Posted : 11/22/2021 6:43:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Someone just sent me this shot of my Hidoodlydo, Neighbor! from the Blockchain Center in Midtown Manhattan a couple of weeks ago during NFTNYC. I was part of a Mask Ephemera show put on by Searchlight.Art.

They are hosting an auction tomorrow morning at 11am PST on Clubhouse for all of the artists from the show. I'll be talking about my Samurai piece, Tether Even the Roasted Chicken, if anyone cares to swing by.

https://clubhouse.com/jo...htart/Sc7IKaZH/mJ66k7pv

Bill Cipher attached the following image(s):
FExeuMoVIAMl1l6.jpg (94kb) downloaded 112 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#348 Posted : 11/22/2021 7:15:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

And here is another shot from the same show (I think?). They had a few events all around NYC that week. This is the other one I submitted for the show, and if you haven't seen it before, you can see it here: https://knownorigin.io/g...en-the-roasted-chicken. And no, I'm not in the photo. I was 3,000 miles away. Although I would have loved to be there. I believe they played in Times Square as well.
FDsTvphVQAIM7I6.jpg (374kb) downloaded 101 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#349 Posted : 11/24/2021 12:23:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

And some more shots of another event put on by the same folks at the Edison Ballroom in Times Square.

I'd be fomo-ing all over the place if it weren't for the fact that I'm hearing tons of people got COVID there. It was four days of folks running from one tightly packed indoor event to another, and from all of the photos I've seen online, not a whole lot of em were very good at all about wearing masks.

Still, the fomo lingers. All of the coolest places my art has been shown, I've never been in attendance. Now they're taking the whole thing to Art Basel, but that would have to be even dicier.
IMG_3680.jpg (707kb) downloaded 86 time(s).
IMG_1125.jpg (1,430kb) downloaded 87 time(s).
IMG_3677.jpg (1,385kb) downloaded 85 time(s).
IMG_3679.jpg (1,373kb) downloaded 85 time(s).
IMG_3678.jpg (1,551kb) downloaded 85 time(s).

Voidmatrix
#350 Posted : 11/24/2021 12:53:57 AM

Surrender and BE free

Big man doin big things! Keep it up brother. Loving it.

One love
Chop Wood: Carry Water

Question everything... including questioning everything...
There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
The only safe place is the choice you make
All posts, responses, ideas and supposed experiences are that of an imaginary interdimensional being . This being comes to you with the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. That being said, everything posted must, perhaps, be taken lightly and with a grain of salt. 👽

null24
#351 Posted : 11/24/2021 5:55:16 AM

Not a derogatory robot, since 1969

Man at this rate, you just might get some fame and fortune before you die. Thumbs up

Not to be a downer on, like, purpose or anything, but speaking of dying, that does seem like a heck of a lot of maskless hipsters sharing air in one small space. Razz
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Bill Cipher
#352 Posted : 11/24/2021 8:13:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
Man at this rate, you just might get some fame and fortune before you die. Thumbs up

Not to be a downer on, like, purpose or anything, but speaking of dying, that does seem like a heck of a lot of maskless hipsters sharing air in one small space. Razz

Thanks. I'm tryin'.

And yes, a whole lot of maskless hipsters. It's frightening. A couple of events there had like 2,000 people in attendance, all in very tight spaces, and I've spoken with a number of people who got sick there and then hopped on planes to go home.

roninsina
#353 Posted : 11/27/2021 5:36:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow! Congratulations on the initial sale! Looks like it’s all manifesting a firm foothold. Sorry the PM was attempting to exercise some control; I often find the same sorts of traumas that propel someone into a job like that, often motivate them to have a need to manage things that are outside their purview. Good on you for the confrontation. I’m betting it will add a more honest quality to your working relationship.

And sorry about your wife... though, I have to say, my wife is an artist as well, and I sometimes feel that our children and I do not have primacy in her hierarchy of priorities. It can inspire me to say some regrettable things sometimes.

On a more exciting (for me) note. I have summited the first foothills of the crypto learning curve and am properly masked for your inked up NFT party, and have a brother who wants in as well. Not to trivialize your work, the man hours alone merit the price, but if you can drop a piece for twenty grand, I’m gonna be astounded if this bird don’t fly.
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

Bill Cipher
#354 Posted : 11/28/2021 3:46:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you much. I ain't gonna lie. It was a very good feeling.

Regarding the wife, I completely understand her resentment around my art, to be honest. I've probably spent 10-15,000 hours doing this over the past decade, and she's felt pretty abandoned to it all along the way.

And with regard to the project, my guess is that the buy-in for the 10,000 will be .08ETH. That's where most of these projects are pricing. But I think we may introduce it with a smaller batch run of 200 (hopefully on SuperRare). If so, those will be videos done in a similar fashion to Popeye et al, and I have no idea where they'll be priced. And likely the holders of those 200 will be the first to get pre-sale white listed for the 10,000.

I'll definitely give you lots of heads up, and I appreciate your enthusiasm. I would just caution you not to buy if you really can't afford it. These things can appreciate insanely (as I'm sure you've seen if you've been paying attention), but 9 out of 10 projects go nowhere. It really is straight up gambling. All I can say is that mine is good and doesn't look like any others. If the other guys do their jobs right I do believe it flies, but the NFT gods will decide in the end. I just make-a da art.

I'd also recommend soaking up as much info and knowledge as you can right now. Clubhouse is the bizness. You'll get a very good feel for the whole culture there, as well as the ins and outs of being a wise consumer (if what you're looking for is ROI). Twitter is also key. If you follow me there, along with any of the folks I follow, you'll get a sense of just how many of these projects exist.

Hint: there are a lot of em - and 90% of them are straight up ass.

roninsina
#355 Posted : 11/30/2021 4:42:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for keeping us Nexians on the inside track Bill. And no worries on the potential for financial loss. I don’t earn much more than half of what I need to keep my family in the middle class, so have always supplemented with investments, with consistent success. I’ve never invested in art, though like art in other media, there are some prices for some NFT pieces that I can’t wrap my brain around, but for the most part you get a product for your money. Somebody with X level of skill has worked Y number of hours on a given piece, with some obvious premiums paid for pieces where more than one muse showed for the party.

My first rule of investment is no moral conflict and/or something I’d consider buying into for the sake of the thing itself, which takes a lot of sting out of losses. My second is it’s gotta be a fast mover on returns, or it might as well be cash in the sock drawer. You are a talented guy and you put the hours in. Hidoodlydo is brilliant, and I see you getting your asking price and whosoever is smart enough to buy it is going to enjoy significant appreciation to that price. I don’t see much risk here - there’s a potential for a small loss or large and rapid gains. Anyway around it, it’s all been fun to learn about and participate in, and feel like one of the cool kids again. And just maybe I can play a small role in the success of someone who has made significant contributions to this community.

But I don’t think I could do twatter, even with Cosmic Lion’s secret alchemist club antinausea shot. Just sayin
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

Bill Cipher
#356 Posted : 11/30/2021 6:02:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I really appreciate your confidence and enthusiasm. In all honesty, I really haven't participated in the market as a consumer much at all. I bought a couple of collectibles from someone doing a drop who I'd met at a party and wanted to support, but I watched the Bored Apes thing unfold from outside with no desire at all to participate. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and now I wish I'd spent every available nickel on em, but like I said this is straight up gambling, and I really came into the space with two aims only in mind - to sell my work and amass an audience.

People go bonkers for the trading though. It really is quite astonishing to see how the more successful ones perform.

ShamanisticVibes
#357 Posted : 12/4/2021 12:30:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sometimes I feel like women just like to pull out the "N' word to get a leg up in whatever argument. Mine pulls it out any time she is losing an argument. Without failure, I'll be in the right and trying to explain why I am upset about something, and her role in it making me upset, and right before she's fully backed in a corner, BAM! "You're just a narcissist!" And then immediately you have to back peddle and argue as to why your point of view is not narcissistic. It's like calling someone a bigot, racist, or sexist. The minute the word gets tossed out, the previous argument is over, and now the argument is based on explaining why the accusations are unfounded. It's cheating on their part. Don't let it get to you and always stick with your instincts. They've gotten you this far.
Jack of few trades, Master of none, Student of all

Bill Cipher
#358 Posted : 12/4/2021 8:29:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ShamanisticVibes wrote:
Don't let it get to you and always stick with your instincts. They've gotten you this far.

It's complicated. I understand her resentments, but I don't have a lot of patience for them and have plenty of my own to boot.

I just came to the conclusion at some point that this is who and what I am. It's the very best part of me, so I'm going to follow it and see where it leads, regardless of who's on board (or isn't). This realization came after we'd been together already for a decade, and it's run at cross purposes to that which had (and still does) put bread on our table. Every minute I've spent doing this has been at the cost of my actual career, and I've only come to realize lately that there's money to be made here as well.

I love this (and hate that), so I'll be damned if I'm not going to do it - and doing it means that I'm doing it right - making it a priority. But coming to this later in life and then balancing a family (and all of the requisite financial responsibilities that come with one) has made it a more complicated equation all around.

It's a bubbling cauldron of resentment for sure boiling up in this bitch.

Voidmatrix
#359 Posted : 12/5/2021 3:41:10 AM

Surrender and BE free

Bill Cipher wrote:

I think I smell a pretty dark and dope art idea brewing...

One love
Chop Wood: Carry Water

Question everything... including questioning everything...
There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
The only safe place is the choice you make
All posts, responses, ideas and supposed experiences are that of an imaginary interdimensional being . This being comes to you with the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. That being said, everything posted must, perhaps, be taken lightly and with a grain of salt. 👽

Bill Cipher
#360 Posted : 12/5/2021 3:58:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Voidmatrix wrote:
Bill Cipher wrote:

I think I smell a pretty dark and dope art idea brewing...

One love

Oh, I've mined that territory before. It's old hat by now. I've moved on.

I called this thing Le Joise du Mariage way back in 2012 at the very beginning of my ZBrush travels.

Wouldn't have shown it here otherwise, but I s'pose it's good for a trip down memory lane whilst beefing about my wife...
Le Joise du Mariage.jpg (11,171kb) downloaded 70 time(s).

«PREV1617181920NEXT»