We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Question re damaged San Pedro Options

sauSage
#1 Posted : 3/29/2021 1:03:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

kindly see the photo of one of my dear San Pedro. Last year an inconsiderate neighbor knocked it over and broke it and then left it to rot w/o telling me. I opted to just leave it and see how it recovered. I was shocked today to see that it has a whole new pup coming off it.

My questions:

1 - should i cut the cactus under the damage and then try and heal it and plant the pup in a new pot?

or

2 - should i transplant the pup to a new pot and just cook up what's left of this once majestic succulent?

or

3 - just leave it alone and trust that it'll all just be ok?

Thoughts?

sauSage
sauSage attached the following image(s):
cac.jpg (2,627kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 3/29/2021 9:50:05 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Option 3 would be my choice. The rot looks like it has stopped and it would be better to let the pup grow bigger before chopping anything.

It looks like they'd all be happier in larger pots - and less likely to fall over be it courtesy of neighbours or strong winds. A rule of thumb is to have a pot diameter that is at least one third of the height of the plant. When waiting to repot tall specimens, I often weight the pots with heavy rocks to help prevent tipping.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Spiralout
#3 Posted : 3/29/2021 3:50:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I would just leave it be too. The longer I have these plants and the more problems I've run into the more it seems just leaving things alone is ussually the bet bet. That plant looks fine.

Edit: They want to be in bigger pots