We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The time-honoured tradition of self-experimenation Options

AlbertChemist
#1 Posted : 3/22/2021 8:33:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This question deals with the legality of self experimentation (of uncontrolled substances).

History is full of examples of researchers testing their creations on themselves to glean the effects, and safety, first hand. Recently however, this practice seems to have become, let's say, "frowned upon" by mainstream science. (Why, I don't know, since the implicit assumption seems to be that the safety of the scientist is somehow more important than that of clinical volunteers...)

But all is not lost, and occasionally self experimentation is still practiced. A recent example can be found in this article, where the researcher took the drug himself to study its metabolism. Self experiment paper

So now to the point of this post. As the above paper shows that self experiments are legal in some places like German. But is this the case everywhere? Are there any countries where doing such a self experiment would actually be against the law, without the approval of some comity or such?

I'd be curious to know of any examples and where one could find this information.

Cheers,

Al

Al

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Voidmatrix
#2 Posted : 3/24/2021 1:30:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

In places like the U.S. it would be in kind of a grey area relative to legality unless it is "substantially similar" (in composition or effect) to an already scheduled drug, or at least that what Shulgin stated. Granted that was the 90s and times have changed. I wouldn't be surprised if this one hadn't though.

I am going to look up and see if Sweden or maybe even Portugal would be lax enough to allow such self experimentation.

I am curious as well.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Voidmatrix
#3 Posted : 3/24/2021 1:36:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Found this. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29926769/ the abstract sounds like the article may answer some of your questions.
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Seeingisbelieving
#4 Posted : 3/24/2021 1:46:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is what stopped Sasha, and others in their tracks. You could do a bit of research to find out what countries do not have a an analog act such as the United States. Sasha was very outspoken about being a drug policy advocate and urged everyone to become active in this way. I believe in the practice of 'civil disobedience' as a beginning step but also think that a full scale educational reform is needed and currently happening regarding psychedelics. With these drugs being introduced into the mental health field we will be seeing more chemists designing shorter duration drugs with less negative side effects. I believe the time for open and creative experimentation is near. Smile