We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Xylene / Naphtha in a food dehydrator safe? Options

Nime
#1 Posted : 2/1/2010 6:57:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello everyone, its been a while since i have posted, i am glad to be back!

SWIMs question was is it safe to put around 100-200ml of xylene in a food dehydrator to allow evaporation? SWIMs main fear is the fumes interacting with the heating mechanism and igniting into a fire ball! SWIM has used a food dehydrator to dry small amount of naphtha before quite safely (10ml of it), but never is such large amounts.

SWIM will have the food dehydrator outside with the cover closed, is that okay?

Thank you for your time and concern.

Improvised Labware Vapor Bubbler (continued)

I would like to make it be known that I do not actually put what I write on this website or any place into practice in the real world. I like to live a life of fantasy on the internet where I ask questions and give answers.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

69ron
#2 Posted : 2/1/2010 8:42:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If the dehydrator ever sparks, it might cause a fire. Be careful. It's best not to put large quantities of flammable solvent near anything that might make sparks.

With most dehydrators, the fan and heat source are blowing air over the contents to be dried rather than sucking the air. This means pretty clean air is blowing over the solvent, and the solvent fumes are moving away from the fan and heating elements, not towards them. So in order for a fire to start, a spark must come from the fan or heating elements and shoot out very close to the solvent. In reality, this is not very likely to happen. I've never seen a food dehydrator ever make sparks. Still, the thought of it is scary. A spark in the fan or heater that doesn't shoot out far enough to reach the solvent vapor isn't going to cause a fire, unless the room is filled with solvent vapor and the dehydrator is recycling the vapor through its fan.

This is a scary thing to think about. Definitely don't let it run unwatched. You should have a fire extinguisher ready that's labeled specifically for chemical fires, just in case.

If you use DCM, this isn't a problem because DCM doesn't catch fire.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

q21q21
#3 Posted : 2/1/2010 8:45:05 AM

SWIM

SWIM has put xylene in a 200F oven (closely watched with baking soda and a large towel nearby) without any problems besides the nasty smell. Should be fine.

Naptha might be a little more dangerous, though if SWIM need it to evaporate fast he uses a double boiler. Once again watched constantly.
Q21Q21's Tek: A comprehensive guide to extracting DMT
The 2 teks use non-toxic lime and vinegar and Tek 1: d-Limonene or Xylene or Tek 2: Naptha to produce very quick high yields with the greatest of ease.

I am almost never on this site anymore so I will likely not answer PMs

opticuswrangler
#4 Posted : 2/2/2010 4:42:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

<-- thinks evaporating with heat may result in a lot of gooey oxide instead of shiny xtals.

Nime
#5 Posted : 2/2/2010 5:46:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

opticuswrangler wrote:

<-- thinks evaporating with heat may result in a lot of gooey oxide instead of shiny xtals.

thats is exactly what happened, please visit this thread below and give me your input if you have some time.

This thread here

Improvised Labware Vapor Bubbler (continued)

I would like to make it be known that I do not actually put what I write on this website or any place into practice in the real world. I like to live a life of fantasy on the internet where I ask questions and give answers.