We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT Charcoal Purification Test Options

Jules_supertramp
#1 Posted : 2/3/2021 5:03:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey there,
Recently wanted to know how to best clean DMT with charcoal and @Brennendes Wasser recommended me to do a test on 100mg first, to see if there accrues any loss due to the AC absorbing some of the DMT and this is what SWIM did:

He took 100mg white clean crystal (because he wanted to know about the ability for the AC to trap DMT not the ability to purify) and dissolved it in 20ml of C5-C6 NPS. Then Swim added 100mg of Charcoal which he previously washed with NPS and dried. This was steered while boiling for a couple of minutes, then swim poured it into a funnel with a NPS soaked filer paper and flushed it with few ml of clean NPS. Then he oven dried the charcoal and the filter paper. The Filter paper lost 5mg weight and the charcoal lost 4mg (probably because of the removed H2O in the ovenConfused ).

The leftover DMT was exactly 100mg Surprised (Swim weighed the difference of the beaker)

I don't know if this works on bigger scales too, but i thought some of you might find it interesting.
...so forth and so on...

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

jingamin
#2 Posted : 2/3/2021 8:15:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It sounds good

Brennendes Wasser
#3 Posted : 2/4/2021 1:20:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Ah thats cool!

So it does not stick to the surface obviously and then maybe it could be used somewhere in the future to get rid of other contaminants?

Mostly this yellowish stuff may be either a residue of the aqueous-phase-molecules, partially soluble in Naphtha or polymerized DMT that grants coloration.

And these Carbon surfaces are normally good adsorbents, but maybe the strength increases with molecule size of the adsorptiv (DMT or contaminant) and polymerized DMT may have stronger interaction. Could be a cool way to get to white crystals, as I have oberserved: If the DMT-batch is already re-x-ed and still yellow, then no regular re-x can help getting to fully white crystals ...

Jules_supertramp
#4 Posted : 2/5/2021 12:02:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Brennendes Wasser wrote:
Ah thats cool!

So it does not stick to the surface obviously and then maybe it could be used somewhere in the future to get rid of other contaminants?

Mostly this yellowish stuff may be either a residue of the aqueous-phase-molecules, partially soluble in Naphtha or polymerized DMT that grants coloration.

And these Carbon surfaces are normally good adsorbents, but maybe the strength increases with molecule size of the adsorptiv (DMT or contaminant) and polymerized DMT may have stronger interaction. Could be a cool way to get to white crystals, as I have oberserved: If the DMT-batch is already re-x-ed and still yellow, then no regular re-x can help getting to fully white crystals ...

It might be beneficial for other contamination yes, but I have the feeling its useless to use charcoal for the yellow discoloration... swim had perfectly white crystals and now they are yellow after re-x (pictures). I think the biggest factor is oxygen creating DMt-oxide. When crystals form under the surface of NPS they are white. I don't see how the charcoal can do anything to remove the oxigen again.

My tip purify as much as you can before the initial freeze precipitation, collect everything and then only dissolve one more time in lukewarm solvent and try to saturate. The yellow stuff (the "blob"Pleasedwill dissolve above 80°C, so stay below and collect it from the bottom of the beaker. I inhaled it's vapor to see if it contains DMT and in my case it smelled like shit and had a harsh taste. If it had any effect it only gave me headache. It also raised the pH of the ethanol in which I dissolved it. Swim had a maybe 30-100mg of this stuff from (afterwards) 3,5g DMT. I'm no chemist but it might be base and some leftover plant fats.

I think drying the DMT on the air for to long or even using a fan is the real problem...dust will end up in the product and the crystals turn yellow.
Jules_supertramp attached the following image(s):
IMG_20201227_201857.jpg (386kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
IMG_20210203_114935.jpg (2,040kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
IMG_20210205_130132.jpg (811kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
...so forth and so on...