We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
No more freezing cumbersome casserole dishes. Options

Bisy
#1 Posted : 1/26/2021 9:19:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I found that instead of doing freeze precip in a baking dish, its much more convenient to do it in a small jar, and after pouring off nps and leaving open to dry, just use acetone to redisolve and get out of jar.
I also found that if you leave the crystals in the jar they ensure that the nps is saturated without the need to evap any first, improving efficiency a little.
Everything i say is fictional, I just wanna be cool and fit in.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Fruit is life
#2 Posted : 1/26/2021 11:36:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting, I'll give it a try, so you just redissolve with acetone and evap the acetone on a dish? I always find spice evapped from acetone takes so long to dry
The self that talks doesn't know, the self that knows doesn't talk.

Bisy
#3 Posted : 1/27/2021 12:50:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, that's correct. I thought the acetone dries rather quickly, and it only takes a little bit to dissolve a lot of spice. But now that you mention it, it seems like it turns to goo and then that takes a while to dry. But I had attributed that to using lots of heat and running the soup through the nps several times because i was trying (rather sucessfully) to milk something out of depleted material.

Bisy
#4 Posted : 1/27/2021 5:20:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I know that the way I express myself often leaves others feeling like I'm one of those overzealous know it all types, its something I should be more aware of, especially with people that don't know me. Im always interested criticism, or just something to add to my statements or ideas. Is there not someone with facts or opinions that will enlighten me as to why this suggestion may have already been explored, and rejected for some reason. I highly doubt its an original idea. Thx.

changaforchange
#5 Posted : 1/27/2021 11:53:47 AM

changaforchange

Thanks for sharing Bisy.

As I am doing my first extractions as we speak, I thought about the reason behind using these wide dishes several times - my thought was that it would take longer to freeze the liquid as the layer is actually thicker inside a small jar... however, I will definitely give it a go!
changa is my medicine

Woolmer
#6 Posted : 1/27/2021 1:23:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bisy wrote:
I know that the way I express myself often leaves others feeling like I'm one of those overzealous know it all types, its something I should be more aware of, especially with people that don't know me. Im always interested criticism, or just something to add to my statements or ideas. Is there not someone with facts or opinions that will enlighten me as to why this suggestion may have already been explored, and rejected for some reason. I highly doubt its an original idea. Thx.

I don't think you are being overzealous at all. I know the feeling of satisfaction when you improve a step that makes something more convenient to your situation.

This is however something that has been discussed before... just use the search bar Smile. I believe the main reason wide and short dishes are used is for ease of scraping. But it's all down to opinion.

Redissolving in acetone will cause the dmt to dry out as an oil since acetone evaporates so fast and dmt has such a high solubility in it, not giving any chance for crystals to form.

Personally, I like to use glass tupperware that is about 8x8cm wide and only 4-5cm tall. Fits compactly into a freezer and never had problems scraping crystals.

Bisy
#7 Posted : 1/27/2021 2:59:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aha, awesome. Thx. So the goo is because of the acetone, and the speed it dries at. Dang. But im still liking the idea of leaving crystals in the dish after pouring off nps so that there's always saturation while freezing.

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 1/28/2021 4:14:29 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Bisy wrote:
Yeah, that's correct. I thought the acetone dries rather quickly, and it only takes a little bit to dissolve a lot of spice. But now that you mention it, it seems like it turns to goo and then that takes a while to dry. But I had attributed that to using lots of heat and running the soup through the nps several times because i was trying (rather sucessfully) to milk something out of depleted material.

Woolmer wrote:
Redissolving in acetone will cause the dmt to dry out as an oil since acetone evaporates so fast and dmt has such a high solubility in it, not giving any chance for crystals to form.

Not only that but acetone also pulls water from the atmosphere as it evaporates meaning your goo is actually damp goo. This water/DMT emulsion likely holds onto a little bit of acetone quite tenaciously as well, adding to the goo factor.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

YSS2020
#9 Posted : 1/28/2021 9:21:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I like small jars my self but what's going to precipitate, is going to precipitate.
Sticking it in a jar, letting it evaporate a little then tossing it in the freezer just focuses more to one area so to say.

Rather than dissolving in acetone after, a simple spoon makes it pretty easy to get the dried DMT out of there once the NPS is evaporated.

Bisy
#10 Posted : 1/29/2021 10:05:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know, put a lid with a straw and heat the jar with a torch.. kidding, that there is how ppl would do it if it were meth. Some of their ingenuity is hilariously fascinating.

Bisy
#11 Posted : 1/29/2021 10:08:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know, put a lid with a straw and heat the jar with a torch.. kidding, that there is how ppl would do it if it were meth. Some of their ingenuity is hilariously fascinating.

Bisy
#12 Posted : 1/29/2021 10:35:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Apology for the double post. Poor reception

Brennendes Wasser
#13 Posted : 1/29/2021 10:39:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Quote:
I also found that if you leave the crystals in the jar they ensure that the nps is saturated without the need to evap any first, improving efficiency a little.

I would recommend to go even further:

Buy 1 L of Naphtha and use this for every extraction. Do 3 pulls as you will only need that low amount due to excess Naphtha - well of course that sticks to every person's own technique - and then put this whole 1 L in the freezer.

Now decant the 1 L Naphtha back into your 1 L container that you bought this stuff in. You will have ~ 1 g of DMT "loss" as this will go back into the 1 L container with the 1 L Naphtha. But now you will re-use that 1 L for the next extraction and now the Naphtha is already saturated at - 20 °C. So this time you get 100 % and also any further time - until you stop using that Naphtha. Of course due to separation you will always loose like 5 % of the Naphtha each time. But that wont do much.
That way you will never have to evaporate stuff and need to buy new Naphtha only after many extractions and as you dont dispose the Naphtha after decanting you will have even more DMT already with your 2nd extraction. Thumbs up

Bisy
#14 Posted : 1/30/2021 4:15:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sweet! Yes, thats excellent. So does that mean that any time you're using solvent from a previous extraction that it already contains enough to negate concerns regarding saturation for the purpose of freeze precip?

Violet Quark
#15 Posted : 3/11/2021 8:28:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bisy wrote:
Sweet! Yes, thats excellent. So does that mean that any time you're using solvent from a previous extraction that it already contains enough to negate concerns regarding saturation for the purpose of freeze precip?

I never evap my NPS.
I always get good yields as well.
I've done a freeze precip with naphtha and then totally evaporated the naphtha afterwards to see what was in it. No DMT at all came out of it. I don't understand the obsession with evaporating it.
Also, when you have done the freeze you should remove as much of the NPS as you can and then scrape into a pile before drying. It is sooooo much easier.
VQ

DansMaTete
#16 Posted : 3/11/2021 11:02:27 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Violet Quark wrote:
[quote=Bisy]
I've done a freeze precip with naphtha and then totally evaporated the naphtha afterwards to see what was in it. No DMT at all came out of it. I don't understand the obsession with evaporating it.
Also, when you have done the freeze you should remove as much of the NPS as you can and then scrape into a pile before drying. It is sooooo much easier.

Yep. This.
« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

Sasha_shows_the_way
#17 Posted : 3/16/2021 7:11:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has just done their first extraction. They got a proper crystallising dish from a school science equipment supplier. Not expensive and made for the job. SWIM wishes they'd got 2 or 3 of them now.
Rules are for the guidence of wise men and the obedience of fools.

shroombee
#18 Posted : 3/16/2021 8:43:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sasha_shows_the_way wrote:
SWIM has just done their first extraction. They got a proper crystallising dish from a school science equipment supplier. Not expensive and made for the job. SWIM wishes they'd got 2 or 3 of them now.

I was looking at those dishes and thought that using a razor blade would be fussy along the edges. What's your experience with that?

Also, no need to do the SWIM thing, as it has been put into cold storage along with VHS and CD's. Smile

Sasha_shows_the_way
#19 Posted : 3/16/2021 9:57:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

shroombee wrote:

I was looking at those dishes and thought that using a razor blade would be fussy along the edges. What's your experience with that?

I didn't scrape the dish clean with a blade this time as I was dumping more naphtha from the next pull in, so just used a butter knife to get the bulk of the crystals out. I don't see any reason you couldn't use a razor blade but you might need to scrape into the middle and pick it up between two blades.

shroombee wrote:

Also, no need to do the SWIM thing, as it has been put into cold storage along with VHS and CD's.

That's a relief. First I didn't do it, then I did. I'm sure I'd never remember to keep it up. Clearly plausible deniability has gone out of fashion.
Rules are for the guidence of wise men and the obedience of fools.