We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
A Collection Of Phalaris & Gramine Related Links Options

Ident
#1 Posted : 1/30/2010 10:51:44 PM

Mr Ident

Evenin' all,

I've been doing some research on the extraction of phalaris grass and the toxicity of gramine, an alkaline present in certain strains of phalaris. I haven't had the time to really correlate anything into a useable format and I'm still researching the subject but I thought that I'd post some links to information, studies and other forums that I've come across.

Hopefully it'll be of some use to someone and save you a bit of time scouring the interweb! I'll post more as I find them although I can't vouch for their usefulness I thought they might be of interest.

Erowid Phalaris Vault
N,N-Dimethyltryptamine Production in Phalaris aquatica Seedlings
Trouts Notes On Gramine
Gramine Toxicity Study On Voles
Gramine Details
Toxicity Assesment
Livestock Foraging Behaviour....
The Alkaloids: Chemistry & Pharmacology
Shroomery - Solubility Of Gramine
Botany - CNS Effects
Breeding Non-Toxic Phalaris
Info on Arundinacea

Post your own links, even links back to other postings on here you think are useful, if you find them and we'll see what else we can learn about phalaris extraction and maybe even find out how to remove gramine! Unlikely for the kitchen chemist, I know but it's better that we're educated.
Ident is a fictional character - The stories and quoutes attributed to Ident should be treated as having no basis in reality.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

biopsylo
#2 Posted : 2/8/2010 9:30:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for those links.

getting the phalaris teks nailed down seems quite worthwhile.

mumbles
#3 Posted : 2/9/2010 10:22:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

No one has ever had much of a reason to explore phalaris in depth, but that will change pretty soon if legal proceedings continue as they are.

shoe
#4 Posted : 2/12/2010 2:44:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

We should be exploring alternative sources of DMT as a matter of principle. For the love of all things extractable!
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

Hybridoma
#5 Posted : 2/12/2010 4:14:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ident, the links are a great start. Given what I suspect might be a growing interest in alternative sources of N,N and 5-MeO, Phalaris is an excellent alternative, but may not be as predictable in yield. There are literally thousands of acres of Philaris growing in wetlands throughout many countries, so a virtually inexhaustable source. Question: is there is good dialog here on extraction methodologies and yields, including relative solubility data between the two molecules? Extraction/separation of gramine (nasty stuff) from the good molecules? My recommendation is that a discussion section get created that creates the details of the methodologies as elegantly as many of you have done with MHRB STB Teks. Those teks are truly awesome, but we need the same for phalaris.

Ginkgo
#6 Posted : 2/12/2010 4:25:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hybridoma wrote:
My recommendation is that a discussion section get created that creates the details of the methodologies as elegantly as many of you have done with MHRB STB Teks. Those teks are truly awesome, but we need the same for phalaris.

I totally agree with you! I think it is important to try to work out a tek that not only extract DMT, but also bufotenine and 5-MeO-DMT, if they are present in sufficient amounts. That is, not a full-alkaloid extract, but a tek that will give three end products. If this is successful, we have an easily obtained source for three of our favorite tryptamines.

It is also important to try to get more research on Phalaris done. I feel some of the money our organization (work-name ELF) will earn, should go to this. We need to understand what species make the most tryptamines, what species that has the most stable content, and how we can boost the content.

Anyone has this paper available? "The data suggest that clones that contain gramine are not likely to contain N,N-dimethyltryptamine and/or β-carbolines. Thus, an inverse biosynthetic relationship between gramine and the tryptamine and β-carboline alkaloids seems to exist. However, further work is needed to firmly establish any such relationship between these alkaloids."

ElusiveMind
#7 Posted : 3/17/2010 10:53:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good work on finding that information Ident. I also have been trying to find articles and information on Phalaris species since its a readily available source around my place Razz

@ evening glory
Agreed, more research and projects towards Phalaris species should be done. Can't wait! Wink

EDIT: btw evening glory, I found the article you were looking for. here's the link Very happy
Phalaris Paper
The Tea Party wrote:
We exist in a world where the fear of Illusion is real
And we cling to the past to deny and confuse the ideal

DMTripper wrote:
Bliss of ignorance -> pain of knowledge -> integrate -> bliss of knowledge.

SWIM and ElusiveMind are fictional characters and everything they say is fictional

Ginkgo
#8 Posted : 3/20/2010 11:08:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks mate, wonderful news! The paper do indeed suggest that clones with gramine DO NOT contain entheogenic tryptamines, and vice versa. Look at their results (+++ indicate 'large' amount, ++ intermediate, + trace):

Edit: I didn't see this quote from the paper: "However, paper chromatographic analysis of extracts from numerous other clones has revealed an occasional clone containing both gramine and tryptamine derivatives." So never mind what I wrote, gramine is still a real problem!
Ginkgo attached the following image(s):
tryptamines in p. arundinacea.png (10kb) downloaded 582 time(s).

ElusiveMind
#9 Posted : 3/23/2010 6:45:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I've been finding some more articles and papers lately on the Phalaris spp. and will be posting more up once I find where I placed the other articles.

Abstract
Quote:
Species of Phalaris are useful pasture grasses but can exert neurotoxic and cardiotoxic effects on grazing
animals. In view of the unresolved aetiology of the various forms of Phalaris intoxication and the continuing
incidents of livestock poisoning on “low-toxicity” varieties of Phalaris, a strategy is presented for the
comprehensive and definitive determination of alkaloid content in Phalaris spp. using thin layer
chromatography, high performance liquid chromatography and gas chromatography coupled with mass
spectrometry. This integrated approach to alkaloid determination has highlighted the presence of alkaloids
previously not associated with Phalaris spp. toxicity.
The Tea Party wrote:

DMTripper wrote:

SWIM and ElusiveMind are fictional characters and everything they say is fictional

Ginkgo
#10 Posted : 3/25/2010 6:07:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am looking for an article from Culvenor et al. (2005) about Phalaris aquatica. Anyone know where I can get it?

ElusiveMind
#11 Posted : 3/25/2010 9:58:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Evening Glory wrote:
I am looking for an article from Culvenor et al. (2005) about Phalaris aquatica. Anyone know where I can get it?

nope, I couldn't find it. Confused

found these though...
The Tea Party wrote:

DMTripper wrote:

elofer
#12 Posted : 3/25/2010 10:09:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

a suggestion from my experience growing the grass that might actually be in one of the growing tecks it a way to increase the alkaloid content SUBSTANIALY is to stress the plant a few times before harvest by not wattering it till the leaves wilt a bit and the tips just start to dry up..I usually did this 3 times before harvest. each time the grass got more and more red coloring...combined with leaving it in the shade before harvest a few weeks, and the levels of niitrogen feeding...it's all about timing. I'm pretty sure someone wrote up an article on this technique on erowid or someplace. as stated from the above articles tryp and carbo free phalaris.pdf introduction that "alcaloid levels could be DOUBLED from moisture stressing..even without the leaves wilting"
I grew this grass for many years and was able to produce some suprisingly potent leaves, but producing mostly 5-meo i think..which in my opinion is still a very usable alc..not much else on earth besides death can bring such an overwealmingly intense experience as this!!!Shocked

ElusiveMind
#13 Posted : 3/25/2010 10:37:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

elofer wrote:
I grew this grass for many years and was able to produce some suprisingly potent leaves, but producing mostly 5-meo i think..which in my opinion is still a very usable alc..not much else on earth besides death can bring such an overwealmingly intense experience as this!!!Shocked

haha, yes 5-meo is definitely an intense experience to say the least. As you've pointed out the key hear really does seem to be stress levels. One of the biggest stress factor's as it seems is the nitrogen levels. Unfortunately though, ALL the alkaloids increase in yield. So we are just stuck with separating the alkaloids. Confused A post a while ago about Arundo Donax had 69ron suggesting distillation as a possible solution but that its was tricky to pull off successfully without vaporizing the spice. Sad
The Tea Party wrote:

DMTripper wrote:

Ginkgo
#14 Posted : 3/25/2010 10:53:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Distillation may be a bit hard for a kitchen extraction. What about using different solvents in order to extract the three different tryptamines? The XLogP3 for these substances are: 1.2 for Bufotenine, 1.5 for 5-MeO-DMT and 2.5 for DMT. Wouldn't these numbers give us a possibility to work out a tek with three different solvents that will extract three different substances, more or less?

ElusiveMind
#15 Posted : 3/26/2010 11:00:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Evening Glory wrote:
The XLogP3 for these substances are: 1.2 for Bufotenine, 1.5 for 5-MeO-DMT and 2.5 for DMT.

Now I don't have an extensive knowledge of chemistry but I believe that should work. DMT in theory would be easiest to pull out but the others might be trickier because, if I'm not mistaken, the XLogP3 of gramine is 1.3 I believe. I can't verify the XLogP3 though since I've lost my source and can't find it. Confused
The Tea Party wrote:

DMTripper wrote:

Ginkgo
#16 Posted : 3/26/2010 11:10:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The XLogP3 for gramine is 1.8. Remember you always have PubChem! Pleased

neuro_rocket
#17 Posted : 3/26/2010 11:22:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I remember a tek that SWIM was working on (here, https://dmt-nexus.me/for....aspx?g=posts&t=4172) where 69ron suggested using warm Heptane to separate the DMT from the Gramine. The Heptane would pull the DMT but leave the gramine. It would also leave behind the 5-meo-DMT and Bufotenine too though.

Also, in that paper that was posted the grass was extracted with methanol/NH4Oh(1:25) 50ml per 5g of grass. The alkaloids were then picked up with chloroform.
What is NH4OH? Is it Ammonium Hydroxide, the stuff you can buy at supermarkets?
I'm mad as a hatter and a compulsive liar.
Nothing I say is true or should be mistaken for the truth.

jamie
#18 Posted : 3/26/2010 11:32:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

i dunno how much bufo there is in arundinacea at least..i tested a phalris extraction I did last week and I didnt get any of the trademark bufotnenine feelings..I did get a tryptamine buzz, not sure if it was NN or meo becasue I was cautious and only tested a very very small dose..I have enough left to do another higher dose test sometime this week so I will do that..and this is from wild arundinacea so I have unlimited access...

There were def tryptamines in there..I had very very mild visuals at first that were reminescent of DMT..and that typical pineal pressure feeling..but it was all very very mild..and my extract was not pure at all..it was transparent orange resiny stuff that looked like the way jimjam looks when its pulled with limo and evapped.

Gramine is apparently not water soluble..and not soluble in naptha either..so I started with a water boil on the grass after i stuck it in the blender..no acid was used durring the boil.
Long live the unwoke.

ElusiveMind
#19 Posted : 3/27/2010 12:06:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

neuro_rocket wrote:

What is NH4OH? Is it Ammonium Hydroxide, the stuff you can buy at supermarkets?

Ya, it seems to be Ammonium Hydroxide

fractal enchantment wrote:
I have enough left to do another higher dose test sometime this week so I will do that..and this is from wild arundinacea so I have unlimited access...

Yes it would be interesting to see what actually came from the water boiled extract. Was that the entire extraction or did you do any further extracts after that?

@ Evening Glory
Haha, forgot about the PubChem Razz Thanks for the clarification.
The Tea Party wrote:

DMTripper wrote:

Ginkgo
#20 Posted : 3/27/2010 2:28:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Okay, I found an article that seems to give good hints in the direction of what environments the wanted tryptamines will be produced: Alkaloids and Palatability of Phalaris arundinacea L. Grown in Diverse Environments

Can anyone get the full article?

12NEXT