We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Curious case of man who injected mushroom tea into his bloodstream Options

Bancopuma
#1 Posted : 1/13/2021 12:48:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Intriguing and harrowing case report of someone who injected themselves with mushroom (P. cubensis) tea...spores included. He nearly killed himself doing this, and was on ICU life support for multiple-system organ failure for some time. He had bipolar disorder type I and had been researching ways to treat his opioid dependence and depression, and was intrigued to give psychedelics a try.

One very weird take away from this: "...the species of mushroom he had injected was now growing in his blood". Not only did the mushroom spores survive boiling, but they germinated and started growing in his bloodstream according to this.

Curious about the wider evolutionary implications of this pertaining to the mushroom...given how tough and resilient mushroom spores appear to be, it calls into question the hypothesis put forward that psilocybin acts as a repellent...perhaps it more likely acts as an attractant, with animals potentially acting as vectors of spore distribution. Makes me curious about the association of P. cubensis with bovine dung, perhaps bovines are ingesting spores and helping distribute them...I wouldn't put it past those crafty fungi.

https://www.vice.com/en/...s-they-grow-in-his-blood

Study:

Giancola et al. (2021) A “trip” to the ICU: intravenous injection of psilocybin. Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, In Press.

https://www.sciencedirec...le/pii/S266729602030015X

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 1/13/2021 1:37:03 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

What a horrifying - and fascinating - tale! It really starts a few macabre ideas rolling...

BUT - did they really confirm that it was P. cubensis mycelium growing in his blood/organs, or was this just an assumption?

Quote:
Makes me curious about the association of P. cubensis with bovine dung, perhaps bovines are ingesting spores and helping distribute them...

I feel this absolutely to be the case. There was the story, and highly plausible at that, where someone inoculated their pasture with a Psilocybe species by borrowing a friend's donkey that had been grazing on a paddock with a good supply of mushrooms (liberty caps seems most likely). The beast was simply brought over to his own field where, quite naturally, it deposited its dung over the course of a few days. The following year a marvelous harvest was to be found.

I've seen plenty of evidence for livestock having munched - intentionally or not - on liberty caps over the years.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Kumarajiva
#3 Posted : 1/13/2021 1:57:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
borrowing a friend's donkey
ROFLMAO Laughing
Gate Gate Pāragate Pārasaṃgate Bodhi Svāhā

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 1/13/2021 3:33:18 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Kumarajiva wrote:
Quote:
borrowing a friend's donkey
ROFLMAO Laughing

I realise donkeys might not always be available, in which case you could use horses, cows, sheep or maybe alpacas.

With respect to the OP - FWIW, I've found that lignicolous psilocybes will happily digest animal protein in the form of human hair.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Spiralout
#5 Posted : 1/14/2021 4:05:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If our fallen hero makes it back from his close brush with the other side in a coherent enough condition to navigate the internet, we had better keep our eyes peeled for him in the boof room. Cool

infinitynlove
#6 Posted : 1/17/2021 5:53:12 PM

Mushroom Explorer

injecting tea, what next!
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

Metta-Morpheus
#7 Posted : 1/17/2021 6:37:47 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

infinitynlove wrote:
injecting tea, what next!

Snorting mimosa?
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Ramma
#8 Posted : 1/17/2021 7:16:57 PM

Long live the Kings of Righteousness

downwardsfromzero wrote:
What a horrifying - and fascinating - tale! It really starts a few macabre ideas rolling...

BUT - did they really confirm that it was P. cubensis mycelium growing in his blood/organs, or was this just an assumption?

Quote:
Makes me curious about the association of P. cubensis with bovine dung, perhaps bovines are ingesting spores and helping distribute them...

I feel this absolutely to be the case. There was the story, and highly plausible at that, where someone inoculated their pasture with a Psilocybe species by borrowing a friend's donkey that had been grazing on a paddock with a good supply of mushrooms (liberty caps seems most likely). The beast was simply brought over to his own field where, quite naturally, it deposited its dung over the course of a few days. The following year a marvelous harvest was to be found.

I've seen plenty of evidence for livestock having munched - intentionally or not - on liberty caps over the years.

From what I heard they didnt speak of mycelium, prob cause theyre not informed on that, but they did mention a certain bacteria. So thats the thing, if mycelium is in the blood, its gonma get all sort of contams.
Behold, a sower went out to sow

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 1/17/2021 10:11:47 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ramma wrote:
From what I heard they didnt speak of mycelium, prob cause theyre not informed on that, but they did mention a certain bacteria. So thats the thing, if mycelium is in the blood, its gonma get all sort of contams.
That makes more sense. Bacterial endospores are quite capable of surviving a light simmer. Likely the fungal spores weren't much of an issue, except perhaps as vehicles for the bacteria. All this does is highlight the dangers of unsupervised amateur IV injections. The psilocybin angle now appears to me to be largely incidental.