We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Freebase harmala alkaloid storage and shelflife Options

qbit
#1 Posted : 1/8/2021 12:18:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone have any insight on harmala alkaloid stability over time? I have some years old B. Caapi alkaloids extracted from vine material and crudely pH separated. They have been stored in small glass vials in dry, cool and dark. I have no access to reference materials or analysis instruments. I wonder if they degrade over time and what happens to them. The powder looks pretty much the same as years ago. Oxidizing though or something else? Last time I made a tea (dissolved with some citric and vinegar) with what I thought should be around there but mildish dose and checked with uv light, the solution seemed somehow weaker than I thought it should be and also the experience was slightly milder than I expected. Not sure though.

Thanks.
qb

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

ShamensStamen
#2 Posted : 1/8/2021 12:33:18 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I haven't noticed any degradation of Harmala/Rue extracts or Rue seed, idk about the Caapi/Caapi extract but i wouldn't think it'd degrade either.

Do you take Caapi/Harmalas often when you take them? Harmalas do have a reverse tolerance so the more you consume them the stronger the dosage gets, so it could've been weaker than you remember if beforehand the dosage was stronger due to reverse tolerance. If not then idk, Harmalas are usually pretty consistent in terms of dosing for me.

Fruit is life
#3 Posted : 1/8/2021 1:23:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A long time..I would assume THH reduced from DHH would be the least stable and on one of the threads maybe the VDS protocol thread, the xtals under microscope and jees Bioassay suggested it was still fine well over a year old..I would guess freebase harmalas would be fine for yearrss
The self that talks doesn't know, the self that knows doesn't talk.

qbit
#4 Posted : 1/8/2021 10:46:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ShamensStamen wrote:
I haven't noticed any degradation of Harmala/Rue extracts or Rue seed, idk about the Caapi/Caapi extract but i wouldn't think it'd degrade either.

Do you take Caapi/Harmalas often when you take them? Harmalas do have a reverse tolerance so the more you consume them the stronger the dosage gets, so it could've been weaker than you remember if beforehand the dosage was stronger due to reverse tolerance. If not then idk, Harmalas are usually pretty consistent in terms of dosing for me.

My small batch has lasted years since I take very seldomly. And no possibility for cross tolerance either. I'll have to go a bit higher up then I think. My other problem is that I've not documented my doses very consistently over the years which could also be part of the reason. Thanks though.

Fruit is life wrote:
A long time..I would assume THH reduced from DHH would be the least stable and on one of the threads maybe the VDS protocol thread, the xtals under microscope and jees Bioassay suggested it was still fine well over a year old..I would guess freebase harmalas would be fine for yearrss

Interesting thread thank you. The thing is it's probably already about 5 yrs since extraction. First few years I noticed no problem in potency. But like I wrote, I haven't been consistent with documenting and when I try again with just a bit higher dose I'll probably see how it goes and feels. I'll report back here just for the record.

One thing I thought of was that there probably is some residue sodium bicarbonate in the powder and maybe that could also somehow affect the stability.

Thanks.

Edit:
The harmalas were allright. It was a user error. Bad memory/bad documenting.
qb