We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Experience Report for cleaned Rue extraction Options

Nitegazer
#1 Posted : 11/21/2020 1:20:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For the benefit of those seeking data points on blended cleaned harmala extract, here is an experience report.

TLDR Summary
200mg clean, mostly harmine rue extract. Effects were strong and pleasant with daydream-based CEVs and mild OEVs. Strong aural 'white noise. I fell asleep 2hrs into feeling affects because I was really tired.

Set/Setting
I'm a male of 78kg in my early fifties. It's been several years since my last dabbling in oral harmalas, though I use them periodically buccally to enhance vaporized dmt.

I had recently completed an extraction from rue seeds, and was eager to try them. The extraction was straight forward: 3x boil of whole seeds, 2x filter, basify (without reducing), 2x manske, basify and wash. On the last basification (using sodium carbonate), I dropwise added carbonate solution in the hopes of reducing harmaline in the product. The resulting FB is a very light tan.

I was tired after a day of hiking when I decided to give it a shot-- 9:40pm. My last meal was 6 hours previous, but was heavy, including meats and blue cheese.

Timeline
T0:00 Consumed a gelcap with 200mg and got myself cozy under an electric blanket.

T0:10 A hot flush feeling in my face, which faded out over the next 20mins.

T1:00 Only light effects felt (enhanced sense of presence, a 'white noise' in my ears. I figured that I was going to have a very light experience, so I started web surfing.

T1:20 The the 'noise' in my ears rose to the point that it was distracting. As I set my laptop aside, I noticed flashes of light around my visual periphery and mild tracers. A mild euphoria started to build, as did an internal energy akin to excitement, though I was not feeling motivated to move. Occasional short intervals of stomach discomfort, just short of nausea.

T1:40 Experience starts to peak. Stronger tracers and flashes of light. If I close my eyes, I find myself pulled into visual imaginings-- a light dream state or a strong day-dream state. Images are strangely jumbled, ie. a simple scene of a table setting for a meal has a geometric cone (from an earlier graphing project at work) playing the role of a fruit bowl. A miniature man, rather than a vase, holds a flower. It's as if my mind was working in overdrive, filling in details of the image with random memories and free-associations. Each image would last a minute or two before being replaced by another.

Acoustically, the sound in my ears remained intense. It was like an auditory version of a photographic dark frame, but turned way up. Almost annoying, but if I focus on it, a texture of different sounds can be parsed out (ringings, buzzings, drones) which at least makes it interesting.

I'm experienced an inward focused excitement and euphoria. No sense of body load.

T1:50 Moderate purge intermittently over 5 minutes. I don't feel nausea as much as a compelling desire to vomit. Grateful for the meal seven+ hours ago; there is just a little in my stomach so I don't have to endure dry heaving.

T3:00 What has been a slow descent from the peak starts to accelerate. I am ready to get to sleep, though the effects are still quite strong.

T3:30 Able to fall asleep, though effects are still at least 50% of peak.

T8:20 Woke up in the morning, still feeling slight after-affects: Unsteadiness, and a floaty feeling.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Elrik
#2 Posted : 11/21/2020 7:36:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting report. You're lucky, I never got any visual effects from harmalas alone. Though, admittedly, I never tried pure harmine in isolation despite my fondness for taking it in up to gram quantities with DMT and mescaline Laughing
For those counting, 200mg of pure harmine freebase is equivalent to 268mg harmine hydrochloride dihydrate [harmine manske crystals].
Interesting choice, using sodium carbonate for the selective basing. I always used ammonia because it produces an equilibrium that lets the selection balance out, though now that I think about it the carbonic acid/bicarbonate byproduct of using carbonate might achieve an analogous effect if added carefully enough.

Any plans for the harmaline fraction? I'm not personally fond of the stoning effect, but I also don't like cannabis or alcohol so I'm not exactly standard Wink
I found THH to produce a subtle but enjoyable antidepressant effect at low dose and a more distinct mood enhancing and mild intoxicant effect at moderate dose.

Do you have a centrifuge?

Nitegazer
#3 Posted : 11/22/2020 12:12:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for your comments Elrik.

I don't want to overstate the visuals. They came to me as an enhanced daydream behind closed eyes. I often create visuals like that while falling asleep, but the harmala made it a kind of game where I felt I lost control of the process. The images were more distinct than I usually can form, too.

I chose the carbonate mostly out of practical considerations. I am staying with friends interested in exploring some entheogens with me, and I wanted to keep things kitchen safe and simple for their space.

I didn't save the harmaline this time around, but I have more seeds, and think I might want to do a zinc reduction to THH. I've done that once before, and enjoyed the results. I need to read up on the latest developments on the process-- please point me to any threads you would recommend. I like working with Rue (over vine) because it's easy for me to get, cheap, and I don't worry about how it was harvested.

Don't have a centrifuge; the fanciest thing I have is a heated magnetic stirrer. I'm not trained in chemistry, but have developed a love of working with entheogens from this site.

Elrik
#4 Posted : 11/22/2020 9:25:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The VDS protocol, examined in this thread is the current standard for separating the harmalas and making THH.
I like to reduce the harmine-harmaline mix to a harmine-THH mix before isolating them because it makes the two easier to separate. No chasing pH depressions, they just precipitate at distinct pH's.
Of course one could do a zinc-vinegar reduction on the mixture and just keep it as a mixture.

Nitegazer
#5 Posted : 11/22/2020 1:14:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Elrik wrote:
The VDS protocol, examined in this thread is the current standard for separating the harmalas and making THH.
I like to reduce the harmine-harmaline mix to a harmine-THH mix before isolating them because it makes the two easier to separate. No chasing pH depressions, they just precipitate at distinct pH's.
Of course one could do a zinc-vinegar reduction on the mixture and just keep it as a mixture.

Perfect. Thank you.