We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
turn your harmine and harmaline into tetrahydroharmine Options

shoe
#1 Posted : 1/27/2010 10:23:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Using zinc and hydrochloric acid. Here is the paper:

Quote:
Harmaline has also been reduced to THH with Zinc & Hydrochloric acid. See Siddiqui et al. 1983 for the procedure. (This should also work for harmine)Siddiqui et al. 1983 found that addition of NH4Cl prior to basification with Ammonia increased the yield for this reaction from 50% to around 80% (by preventing the precipitation of Zinc hydroxide)

look at page 10 of the PDF (not the manuscript).
On page 54 of the pdf, you can find the experimental section
detailing his approach towards the item in question.
http://anonym.to/?http://prr.hec.gov.pk/Chapters/1053-2.pdf

Smile
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

shoe
#2 Posted : 1/27/2010 10:24:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

NH4CL (ammonium chloride) can be bought online, it isn't watched.
Its sold as an additive for fireworks, I believe.
shoe

soulfood
#3 Posted : 1/27/2010 11:04:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I've been wanting to try this very thing for months now, but haven't had the time or space.

I can't believe other folk haven't tried this yet as I've been told it's a pretty sound method.

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 1/27/2010 12:28:13 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

soulfood wrote:
I've been wanting to try this very thing for months now, but haven't had the time or space.

I can't believe other folk haven't tried this yet as I've been told it's a pretty sound method.

There's a good reason for people not trying that; these conversions are not always complete and most people do not have a good analytical method for monitoring reactions. In practise these reactions are not as simple as ABC. Whoever tries the reaction(s) will always one will end with a mixture of 3 and the success will be far more variable than the original paper suggests.

If we knew more on chemical characteristics of THH and how to separate it from harmine/harmaline mixtures then we'd get a good idea of how successfully the said conversions can be performed in the kitchen. For the moment, for SWIM this conversion sounds like a shot in the dark.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Phlux-
#5 Posted : 1/27/2010 12:50:41 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

does precipping out at the correct ph not work as with harmine and harmaline ? repeating that proceedure with ph aimed at 100% could potentially be a way to separate them.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 1/27/2010 1:11:15 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Phlux- wrote:
does precipping out at the correct ph not work as with harmine and harmaline ? repeating that proceedure with ph aimed at 100% could potentially be a way to separate them.

it would, but how about THH? We do not know the pKa of THH (we really do not!), we know however that freebase THH is very likely to precipitate out of basic solutions (xlogp is 1.9)

Mind you however that the paper reports a 80% (ideally) conversion of harmaline to THH. How about if one has harmine? The reduction pathway is harmine --> harmaline --> THH. We really do not know much efficiently harmine is reduced to harmaline via this method. Not to mention reaction equilibria that will make these reactions a helluva more complicated that they (in theory) seem.

If only things were that simple...

soulfood
#7 Posted : 1/27/2010 1:38:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Good points...

I was under the impression that harmine and harmaline change water to yellow when desolved, but THH was clear.

What about if you clean the original harmalas up pretty damn good before hand and kept the reaction refluxing until the yellow solution changes to a clear one?

Even without a complete conversion would you think that enough of a colour change could be detected to inform of a partial reaction?

Infundibulum
#8 Posted : 1/27/2010 3:27:37 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

soulfood wrote:
Good points...

I was under the impression that harmine and harmaline change water to yellow when desolved, but THH was clear.

What about if you clean the original harmalas up pretty damn good before hand and kept the reaction refluxing until the yellow solution changes to a clear one?

Even without a complete conversion would you think that enough of a colour change could be detected to inform of a partial reaction?

SWIM really does not know whether THH solution was clear. Besides, colour change is a very poor indicator of in this case for the conversions. Human eyes are not that sensitive to certain things and a little colour change may not even be perceived. Ideally a spectrophotometer should be used for colour monitoring or TLC to check for the end-products. Both are however unavailable to most...

The experiment is nevertheless worth trying from however wishes but there are poor indications that it will work nicely. Maybe it will or maybe it won't.

shoe
#9 Posted : 1/31/2010 3:19:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
Phlux- wrote:

it would, but how about THH? We do not know the pKa of THH (we really do not!), we know however that freebase THH is very likely to precipitate out of basic solutions (xlogp is 1.9)

Mind you however that the paper reports a 80% (ideally) conversion of harmaline to THH. How about if one has harmine? The reduction pathway is harmine --> harmaline --> THH. We really do not know much efficiently harmine is reduced to harmaline via this method. Not to mention reaction equilibria that will make these reactions a helluva more complicated that they (in theory) seem.

If only things were that simple...

Harmine should be reduced to harmaline too, depends on the excess of the hcl and zinc, and the temperature.

You will end up with a mix of the three different alkaloids.
Forget about separation, whats the point? I think you'll get more THH for your harmala buck this way Smile
shoe

Infundibulum
#10 Posted : 1/31/2010 3:34:02 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

shoe wrote:
Harmine should be reduced to harmaline too, depends on the excess of the hcl and zinc, and the temperature.

Why exactly it should?!?!?!This I do not understand

In theory yes, it makes sense that it may be reduced, but in practise what? Please find me a method for the conversion of harmine to harmaline and then we discuss solidly.

shoe
#11 Posted : 1/31/2010 7:05:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

why would you doubt that?
shoe

Infundibulum
#12 Posted : 1/31/2010 7:30:09 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

shoe wrote:
why would you doubt that?

Because in theory, theory and practise are the same but in practise they are not.

And because the battleplan almost never survives the first contact with the enemy.

Chemical reactions, even the seemingly "easy" ones can be too difficult in practise. You understand that adding 2 atoms of hydrogen in harmaline (for instance, to reduce it to THH) is different from adding 2 or 4 atoms of hydrogen to reduce harmine to say harmaline or THH. they are similar, yes but different. In Tihkal harmaline is not getting synthesised by reducing harmine and then separating it out. SWIM has not seen a paper detailing the reduction of harmine to harmaline (or THH). But he may be wrong and such method may exist.

You do not seem to have much experience in chemical reactions and experiments in practise. Think about these examples; Adding FASA (a liquid) to xylene salts out mescaline as mescaline fumarate. Adding glacial acetic acid (another liquid) in xylene to do the same does not work! Adding dry fumaric acid to do the same does not work either. Adding FASA in limonene containing freebase mescaline also does not work! In theory, the freebase mescaline should react with the acids to form salts, but it doesn't seem to happen always. It is because theory and practise are two different things, as explained above.

shoe
#13 Posted : 1/31/2010 8:51:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Im well aware that its synthed in thikkal and not reduced - that doesn't mean anything here, why'd you even mention that?

Oh, thats strange: I would have thought that glacial acetic acid would have reacted to form mescaline acetate! Im gonna take a guess
that it is because of pKa of the acid, or the solubility of the product formed, or something like that. I.E the acid itself thats the problem.
is that right?

I haven't got any zinc so, I guess I can't test this for now.
shoe

Infundibulum
#14 Posted : 1/31/2010 9:07:59 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

shoe wrote:
Im well aware that its synthed in thikkal and not reduced - that doesn't mean anything here, why'd you even mention that?

It is mentioned because synthesis of harmaline in tihkal could involve reduction of harmine (just like synthesis of THH involves reduction of harmaline) and separation of harmaline of the mixture. Since this route was not followed in tihkal and no protocol I know (or you have found) that describes an easy reduction of harmine to harmaline, I have to assume that it is nore difficult that imagined.

But please find me a reference of the reduction you propose otherwise do not assume "it just happens".

shoe
#15 Posted : 1/31/2010 9:45:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

whooosah.
shoe

tadgh78
#16 Posted : 7/22/2010 1:52:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Did anyone ever try this?

Phlux-
#17 Posted : 7/22/2010 4:41:57 PM

The Root

works fine.
antrocles wrote:

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:

Quote:

tadgh78
#18 Posted : 7/22/2010 5:39:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Phlux-!

But now another question comes to mind; Being able to make a usually expensive substance like TTH from a cheap source like Rue would be a huge advantage, wouldn't it!?

So why is it that this tek seems to have attracted so little interest among nexus users thus far? Confused

Phlux-
#19 Posted : 7/22/2010 6:37:31 PM

The Root

caus its profitable to those who do it perhaps.

antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

tadgh78
#20 Posted : 7/22/2010 7:07:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Be that as it may, now that the information is out there I would have thought that such a tek would be much more popular on the nexus than it is. There don't seem to be any threads with people discussing how well they've fared at creating TTH by this method, let alone any step-by-step threads with pictures demonstrating how to go through the process.

Have you tried this tek yourself Phlux? Have you had success with it personally?

I'd love to know.

12NEXT