CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Extracting from "10x Rue Extract" Options

merkin
#1 Posted : 8/27/2020 11:18:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have been considering this as a way to save shipping costs. While product in seeds is relatively inexpensive shipping to where I am is most definitely not, often 3-4x the cost of rue seeds. But searching here I see many comments like "people have had problems" etc but no definitive comments about it or its fitness for further extraction to get to the Harmalas (as opposed to direct consumption).

Is it possible? Surely if the extract can be eaten it contains the alkaloids? Also its described as an "ethanolic" extraction. What exactly is this stuff in relation to seeds and the usual extraction teks which start with boiling?

Can you boil this and then base it? Does anyone have any idea or direct experience with this? Its really cheap so getting two kilos is less than 30bux, but shipping a LOT more.

In description on one site: "0.2g to 0.3g contains enough harmine and harmaline to block MAO activity for about six hours" - - seems to imply it contains the necessary alks?

So - can one feasibly and effectively extract Harmine/DHH from an "ethanolic extract" 10x of Rue?

Thanks

Have doubts about your samples? Get trusted results by having your samples tested.

Elrik
#2 Posted : 8/27/2020 6:10:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lets consider what is in the seeds. They have protein, various sugars and carbohydrates, fixed and volatile oils, and organic salts of the alkaloids.
Industrially [roughly speaking], the seeds are ground, shoved into a pipe, and hot ethanol is forced through the pipe until it comes out colorless. The ethanol 'tea' is then filtered and the ethanol is distilled off to be reused, leaving the "10X extract" behind. That is the most likely method.
The resulting hardened taffy-like extract would be a mixture of alcohol soluble sugars, other small organics like coloring matter and acids, fixed oils, any volatile oils that didn't co-distill with the alcohol, and organic salts of the alkaloids.
I can imagine the difficulties people vaguely mention. They're trying to get a fat filled dried taffy to dissolve in water [hallucinogenic rock candy Shocked too bad it tastes like harmalas]. If I was trying to refine it first I would break it up into sand or powder [wear gloves, as the powder would stick to the moisture in your skin] and then I would apply one of two simple approaches, either I would try to initially dissolve it in a warm alcohol-water mixture to help the fat move around, or I would be patient and simmer it in slightly vinegar acidified water with stirring for a good long time to get the fat to melt while the sugars and alkaloid slowly dissolve from it. Just dumping all the crushed extract in would make it immediately harden into one chunk again, so cast a spoonful of crushed extract in and stir, repeat as appropriate.
I would probably choose option 2: smash it up and simmer for hours in mildly acid water, replacing any water that boils off before it is dissolved. I'd then let it cool to only mildly scalding, filter it through a coffee filter, probably boil again to remove much of the excess water, dissolve in 15 grams of rock salt for each remaining 100ml while still scalding, let cool, refrigerate for a day, collect the manske crystals.
It could also be based, if you go that route remember not to add base to hot water.

I wonder what they do with the essential oil byproduct. I love the coffee-grounds like smell of harmala seed.

merkin
#3 Posted : 8/31/2020 11:26:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Elrik wrote:
The resulting hardened taffy-like extract would be a mixture of alcohol soluble sugars, other small organics like coloring matter and acids, fixed oils, any volatile oils that didn't co-distill with the alcohol, and organic salts of the alkaloids.

Thanks. They all seem to be offering this as a brown coloured powder so it seems they have dried that 'taffy' or whatever residue they got. I have seen Caapi extracts as a resin though, but this is definitely rue. I suspect you are spot on about their method.

Elrik wrote:
I would probably choose option 2: smash it up and simmer for hours in mildly acid water, replacing any water that boils off before it is dissolved. I'd then let it cool to only mildly scalding, filter it through a coffee filter, probably boil again to remove much of the excess water, dissolve in 15 grams of rock salt for each remaining 100ml while still scalding, let cool, refrigerate for a day, collect the manske crystals.

I think that essentially I take from your response that the alkaloids are actually in there somewhere and it is then the challenge to get to the point where it dovetails into the standard 'seed' tek. I was thinking to try and dissolve in water - if not, try vinegar water. If it dissolves in that then boiling and manske I'd imagine is the next best step as you said.

Essentially treat the powder as a form of ground seeds? Anyway, at the price its certainly worth a try as the shipping cost is a 0.1x advantage over the seeds.

monomind
#4 Posted : 8/31/2020 11:45:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A while ago I got some rue extract in powder form. It was cheap and I thought it might be an easier starting point for an extraction rather than working with seed.
I tried to acidify, to manske, to basify... but nothing happened.
No alks in any form precipitated.

Kumarajiva
#5 Posted : 8/31/2020 2:37:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

monomind wrote:
A while ago I got some rue extract in powder form. It was cheap and I thought it might be an easier starting point for an extraction rather than working with seed.
I tried to acidify, to manske, to basify... but nothing happened.
No alks in any form precipitated.

It was not rue extract then. Probably some other maoi sold as rue with some filler.
If its true rue extract its ok to use it as starting material.

Ethanolic extraction will be heavily contaminated with oils though.
I used to do ethanolic extraction with soxhlet and had to distill the alcohol (adding water in the middle of distillation)
and was left with two distinct fractions of oils floating on top and alkaloids dissolved in water below, and then separate it.
Gate Gate Pāragate Pārasaṃgate Bodhi Svāhā

Elrik
#6 Posted : 8/31/2020 9:12:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That is a good point. It certainly is possible that some or all harmala extracts are MAOI adulterated fillers.
Like the cheapest off-spec instant coffee available + pharmaceuticals.
This kind of thing happens more than one might think. Remember the marijuana alternative 'Spice' that was sold years ago, it said it was natural herbs but it was synthetic cannabinoids.
Many mainstream bodybuilding supplements, over the years, have been found to contain pharmaceutical drugs or analogs.
Much of the ecstasy or RCs sold contain little or none of the claimed drug. Heroin that's nothing but fentanyl, etc.

If you try this, start with a smaller order and don't trust it until you see a solution glow vibrant green under blacklight and crystallize from a salted solution.
Then, based on the yield you can decide if it is a source that can be scaled up to provide all you need.

merkin
#7 Posted : 9/14/2020 2:13:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for all the input. I have ordered a 'free sample' (1 kg!!) just had to pay the shipping of around forty odd bux. Hopefully it works (a lot) better than monomind's extract!