We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Can anyone pls explain this patent 'tek' for rue extraction? Options

merkin
#1 Posted : 8/22/2020 3:13:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Link below. The jargon used here quickly becomes totally unintelligible to me yet it seems on the surface to be simple? Although the stuff about the " high performance liquid chromatography C on concentrated solution reverse phase silica gel post" seems pretty far above my pay grade. Is it hugely complex or something 'kitchen' doable? I was casually looking for a less tiresome alternative to the boil and filter of the usual teks, combined with the huge number of companies selling 98% harmala extracts on alibaba, unfortunately they are a schedule II listed substance in my country, up there with heroin.

Thanks!

Chinese Patent

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Elrik
#2 Posted : 8/22/2020 5:00:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The first half of the process sounds like a project I would do just for fun.
Obtain whole seed, extract in hot 60-78° 60-95% ethanol without loosing ethanol, distill off ethanol [adding water if needed] leaving seed extract in water, filter and continue.
Then they go on to use chromatography to isolate alkaloids, this would not be feasible for kitchens and too much work to bother with in basement labs unless making LSD.

The first half isn't far from how I've considered doing it to establish near 'full' potential yield from a batch of seeds. If the home chemist wants to know how much is being lost when extracting a kilo or two by standard methods 50-100 grams can be extracted in a soxhlet apparatus with refluxing 95% ethanol to leave behind much of the gunk, after 10+ cycles water is added, the ethanol distilled off, the mixture filtered to remove fats/oils, and the solution extracted to provide a yield baseline to judge the main extraction by.

Without a factory neither the patents method nor the soxhlet method can be easily scaled up.
If you have a still pot big enough and enough ketone-free industrial alcohol you could test to see if the first half of the patent would be worth scaling up.
I wouldn't bother. Just don't grind the seeds.

merkin
#3 Posted : 8/22/2020 5:22:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Damn. Hope springs eternal...

Thanks Elrik.