We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Not hearing THAT sound Options

geograph
#1 Posted : 5/9/2020 8:34:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

On my first few DMT trips I heard the sound like I was expecting - after hearing McKenna talk about it. A high-pitched squeal/beep, rising in volume as I held the vapor in my lungs.
But lately something weird has been ocurring. DMT works the way it should, but I am simply not hearing that sound anymore. In stead I just get a weightless silence, like all acoustics disappear. Granted, I have not been doing big doses lately, but before I believe that I heard that high pitched sound on nearly any dose.

Anyone else experience this?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

null24
#2 Posted : 5/9/2020 10:46:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Terrance McKenna was not the be all and end all of DMT advice. In fact, the stuff he was smoking was likely nothing like what you are smoking. His descriptions of the thick red crystals is what was floating around in the 90's and was very crude compared to what can be produced with the TEKs that have largely been developed here.

He was an entertainer and he performed in a vacuum of others promoting the same idea- that of psychedelic legitimacy and empowerment. His ideas are interesting and great food for thought, but should not be taken as gospel.

The phenomenon of a "carrier wave" is something that evaporated for me after my introduction to DMT, perhaps this is similar to you. Maybe after we are inducted into this, there is enough familiarity with the experience that it is no longer noticed. Or something. My first experience with smoked n,n DMT was preceded by this, but after that, i have not experienced it.

And at that time, it seemed to me too be more of a change in perceived tone of the ambient surrounding noise. It seemed more related to me to the physiological response to taking a drug than some metaphysical phenomenon. Just my O&E.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

bismillah
#3 Posted : 5/10/2020 12:20:34 AM

My Personalized Tag

You know, I never really understood the whole "carrier wave" thing. I get a low hum on straight rue concoctions, but on DMT, it's much more subtle and less consistent. At lower doses, sounds may obtain a "brushy" quality. At higher doses, a funky alien beat will sometimes manifest in my head. It's totally implaceable and yet strangely musical; it has a logical rhythym and a melody. It's always short-lived, sadly. I never get any sort of drone, though.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

null24
#4 Posted : 5/10/2020 12:48:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Yeah, that funky alien beat (that should go in the lexicon, btw!) is what gave me (an admittedly small) appreciation for electronic music.

Now that is real. Why didn't TMK ever talk about that?
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

VibeSurfer
#5 Posted : 5/10/2020 1:13:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I love those vibrational frequencies that bellow into my brain. I don't always get them though.
"It was altruism, not violence or force, which associated our higher cortex. Our intent is to awaken that memory." - Indigo

Kyngwhatt
#6 Posted : 8/2/2020 1:57:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

my first couple experiences i heard that sound but after i used it a lot it either went away or i dont notice it anymore.
The drug had completely altered their fundamental concept of reality

Jees
#7 Posted : 8/2/2020 3:00:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

+1
it's gone.

Qux
#8 Posted : 8/2/2020 3:19:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I did hear a distinct buzzing/swirling sound during my experiences, like if you take whatever sound I heard last and elongate and loop it very fast. But I also heard other things, I think the DMT just projects whatever you hear as you come up into the whole experience.
But I had DMT only twice and didn't break through.
It is only by my hand, by my face, my heart, my spirit
that either I will wither, or I will bloom,
I will become as green land, as tilled earth
I will germinate, I will sprout.

Metta-Morpheus
#9 Posted : 8/2/2020 3:36:11 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

I’m with the majority here. I had it for the first handful of trips, but it’s been long since I heard that alien noise. I also used to get a metalic digeridoo sounds as well. A lot of the intense geometry has pretty much disappeared for me as well.
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Qux
#10 Posted : 8/2/2020 3:40:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Metta-Morpheus wrote:
I’m with the majority here. I had it for the first handful of trips, but it’s been long since I heard that alien noise. I also used to get a metalic digeridoo sounds as well. A lot of the intense geometry has pretty much disappeared for me as well.

How is this possible? You don't get as intense visuals anymore? I thought you couldn't build up tolerance for DMT...

cubeananda
#11 Posted : 8/2/2020 4:41:14 PM

jai

I would have to agree it seemed to sort of fade after the first few trips.
I have this thought that it perhaps has gravitated towards the heart, since now I have much more heart centered experiences after becoming more familiar with dmt and exogenous tryptamines in general.

Metta-Morpheus
#12 Posted : 8/2/2020 4:57:59 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

cubeananda wrote:
I would have to agree it seemed to sort of fade after the first few trips.
I have this thought that it perhaps has gravitated towards the heart, since now I have much more heart centered experiences after becoming more familiar with dmt and exogenous tryptamines in general.

This is a great explanation for what possibly changed. I definitely have more internal trips, deep thinking trance kinda trips, with a strong minds eye vision of what I’m thinking. Rarely do I get fireworks anymore, no matter how hard I go. But when I do I sure appreciate them!
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Ancient Mariner
#13 Posted : 8/2/2020 11:50:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

While I still get an incredible visual experience in my trips, I don't really notice sound anymore. The first few times I tried it, I heard something closer to dolphins communicating. Then I'd sometimes hear the carrier wave and now I either don't hear anything or I don't notice is with the rapid flow of other content.

PedroSanchez
#14 Posted : 8/3/2020 3:37:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i have never heard the high pitched sound. i have heard a lot of reports of it even from people uninfluenced by others, but never heard it myself.
luckily the sounds i get are far more interesting. it starts with a "bloop" (for lack of a better spelling), which repeats at a frequency thats speeds and pitches up and/or down linearly. a little further in and it starts to switch between speeding and pitching up/down faster and sometimes seems to do both at the same time. even further in and it becomes more complex in a way i have yet to be able to describe, then after that becomes musical. it is not music in the conventional way, it does not sound like music, or even musical, at all, but it "sounds" or "feels" like music, but without sounding or feeling like music Laughing

cubeananda
#15 Posted : 8/3/2020 4:00:10 AM

jai

PedroSanchez wrote:
i have never heard the high pitched sound. i have heard a lot of reports of it even from people uninfluenced by others, but never heard it myself.
luckily the sounds i get are far more interesting. it starts with a "bloop" (for lack of a better spelling), which repeats at a frequency thats speeds and pitches up and/or down linearly. a little further in and it starts to switch between speeding and pitching up/down faster and sometimes seems to do both at the same time. even further in and it becomes more complex in a way i have yet to be able to describe, then after that becomes musical. it is not music in the conventional way, it does not sound like music, or even musical, at all, but it "sounds" or "feels" like music, but without sounding or feeling like music Laughing

absolutely! I attempted to describe these sounds in some other post
"Patterns of non-repeating helical symmetry will phase in and produce diffraction patterns as we phase in and out of the rational harmonics of the carrier wave" lol but your explanation is very much to the point especially as far as it being what I remember from the dmt trips Razz

The sound I especially recall, and quite vividly, the first time I did DMT was almost like an unbelievably deep sub-bass wave that sort of penetrated and crashed right through my head, happened the first few time. I have sometimes thought of it as the echo of 'the unstruck sound'

PedroSanchez
#16 Posted : 8/7/2020 1:00:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

cubeananda wrote:

"Patterns of non-repeating helical symmetry will phase in and produce diffraction patterns as we phase in and out of the rational harmonics of the carrier wave" lol but your explanation is very much to the point especially as far as it being what I remember from the dmt trips Razz

The sound I especially recall, and quite vividly, the first time I did DMT was almost like an unbelievably deep sub-bass wave that sort of penetrated and crashed right through my head, happened the first few time. I have sometimes thought of it as the echo of 'the unstruck sound'

thats fascinating. i have never heard anything even close to sub-bass frequencies. the noises i hear have a fundamental frequency somewhere around 500Hz, give or take an octave, when they first start. they never go lower than that, always higher, then when they start moving down in pitch and speed, about a minute into the trip, they start at the higher end and work their way down to around 500Hz again.

i wish i could hear other peoples sounds. i often wonder if they are unique to us, but similar enough for us to find links, or if there are a selection of sounds and we will hear one or more of that selection.
if i could get my hands on an audio recording i think i could open lots of doors! never going to happen though Sad

i intend to recreate what i hear at some point, when i get time. i know i can get close, but i forget exactly how it sounds when i leave it too long, so i need to get my timing planned and have the intention of doing that before tripping, which i have yet to do.

im curious. do you feel the sub frequencies in your body the way you would with a speaker?

cubeananda
#17 Posted : 8/7/2020 5:29:42 AM

jai

PedroSanchez wrote:
cubeananda wrote:

thats fascinating. i have never heard anything even close to sub-bass frequencies. the noises i hear have a fundamental frequency somewhere around 500Hz, give or take an octave, when they first start. they never go lower than that, always higher, then when they start moving down in pitch and speed, about a minute into the trip, they start at the higher end and work their way down to around 500Hz again.

i wish i could hear other peoples sounds. i often wonder if they are unique to us, but similar enough for us to find links, or if there are a selection of sounds and we will hear one or more of that selection.
if i could get my hands on an audio recording i think i could open lots of doors! never going to happen though Sad

i intend to recreate what i hear at some point, when i get time. i know i can get close, but i forget exactly how it sounds when i leave it too long, so i need to get my timing planned and have the intention of doing that before tripping, which i have yet to do.

im curious. do you feel the sub frequencies in your body the way you would with a speaker?

Indeed! I also hope to one day get my artistic skills to the point I can finally convey audiovisuslly my experience. I've seen and heard some stuff but to each is own perhaps?

Edit: I wouldnt say it was exactly like that, and as I said, it was only the first few times which was years ago at this point. It is hard to fully remember, but Its like when you dream an old you had, you know the memory is there in some deep subset of the subconscious. I do wonder if I'll ever hear or experience anything like that ever again?

PedroSanchez
#18 Posted : 8/7/2020 10:39:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

cubeananda wrote:

Indeed! I also hope to one day get my artistic skills to the point I can finally convey audiovisuslly my experience. I've seen and heard some stuff but to each is own perhaps?

Edit: I wouldnt say it was exactly like that, and as I said, it was only the first few times which was years ago at this point. It is hard to fully remember, but Its like when you dream an old you had, you know the memory is there in some deep subset of the subconscious. I do wonder if I'll ever hear or experience anything like that ever again?

losing the memory is the worst Sad
my memory is bad enough at remembering basic things, it stands no chance at remembering complex concepts that the human brain is not used to experiencing!

hopefully i can make the sound close enough that i can say "that is pretty much what i hear", then i will be able to find out if it is at least similar for some people. i wish microphones could smoke DMT Big grin
the visual side would be awesome too. my skills in video are almost non existent though, so something like that is far out of my reach right now. the depictions i see are usually miles away from the visuals i experience, it would be nice to put my own out there. i think i would quickly learn why people cant recreate it though Very happy

Qux
#19 Posted : 8/7/2020 11:38:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I experienced some sounds similar to what I've attached, however it's just some samples that reminded me of what I heard, there's still some clear differences.

Casualt
#20 Posted : 8/7/2020 10:15:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Is it different DMT? I found that the stuff I had previous to now which was more of yellow and white powder had a much bigger body load with auditorial sounds. The current stuff I have is more crystal like and darker yellow. It is way less body load but much more intense on visuals at smaller doses.

12NEXT