We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Survey of entity encounter experiences occasioned by inhaled DMT (Study) Options

Bancopuma
#1 Posted : 5/9/2020 7:13:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A study here on the phenomenology, interpretation, and enduring effects of entity encounters catalysed by DMT experiences that may be of interest to some Nexians. Full study paper can be accessed via the link below.

https://journals.sagepub...PefDkBSvrcQWb6M8QVf72kMw

Davis et al. (2020) Survey of entity encounter experiences occasioned by inhaled N,N-dimethyltryptamine: Phenomenology, interpretation, and enduring effects. Journal of Psychopharmacology, In Press.

Quote:
Abstract

Background:

Experiences of having an encounter with seemingly autonomous entities are sometimes reported after inhaling N,N-dimethyltryptamine.

Aim:

The study characterized the subjective phenomena, interpretation, and persisting changes that people attribute to N,N-dimethyltryptamine-occasioned entity encounter experiences.

Methods:

Two thousand, five hundred and sixty-one individuals (mean age 32 years; 77% male) completed an online survey about their single most memorable entity encounter after taking N,N-dimethyltryptamine.

Results:

Respondents reported the primary senses involved in the encounter were visual and extrasensory (e.g. telepathic). The most common descriptive labels for the entity were being, guide, spirit, alien, and helper. Although 41% of respondents reported fear during the encounter, the most prominent emotions both in the respondent and attributed to the entity were love, kindness, and joy. Most respondents endorsed that the entity had the attributes of being conscious, intelligent, and benevolent, existed in some real but different dimension of reality, and continued to exist after the encounter. Respondents endorsed receiving a message (69%) or a prediction about the future (19%) from the experience. More than half of those who identified as atheist before the experience no longer identified as atheist afterwards. The experiences were rated as among the most meaningful, spiritual, and psychologically insightful lifetime experiences, with persisting positive changes in life satisfaction, purpose, and meaning attributed to the experiences.

Conclusion:

N,N-dimethyltryptamine-occasioned entity encounter experiences have many similarities to non-drug entity encounter experiences such as those described in religious, alien abduction, and near-death contexts. Aspects of the experience and its interpretation produced profound and enduring ontological changes in worldview.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

fathomlessness
#2 Posted : 5/14/2020 3:45:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great work Bancopuma! The way the paper is written (combined with the results) really frames entity experiences in a very calculated and positive light. I can see unknowing readers coming away with an optimistic shaping of the DMT neurotransmitter.

My only wish would be for the addition of a statistic on the occurrence rate of entity contact with break through doses, as this could of given the study more context to non-users. It is commonly heard on here that a proportion people do not come in to contact with entities during breakthrough.

Bancopuma
#3 Posted : 5/14/2020 5:28:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

fathomlessness wrote:
Great work Bancopuma! The way the paper is written (combined with the results) really frames entity experiences in a very calculated and positive light. I can see unknowing readers coming away with an optimistic shaping of the DMT neurotransmitter.

My only wish would be for the addition of a statistic on the occurrence rate of entity contact with break through doses, as this could of given the study more context to non-users. It is commonly heard on here that a proportion people do not come in to contact with entities during breakthrough.

Hey fathomless, yeah it's good to see the researching advancing in interesting directions. And yes I like that idea, of getting a handle on the proportion of entity encounters occurring with breakthrough dosages. I am part of that proportion of people who don't have entity encounters on DMT...at least not yet.

Handel
#4 Posted : 5/15/2020 10:17:16 PM

Little sheep lost in woods

Had a read-through, and it's a very good first observational survey.

One bit that I didn't like was the "Similarities of DMT entity encounter experiences to descriptions of nondrug entity encounter experiences" section. The section makes mention of the UFO Grey aliens, but fails to make a connection to the fact that many people see these same aliens on DMT too. It possibly just happened that the people who were surveyed did not encounter these entities, but many others have (on shrooms and LSD as well). Same way, the insectoid Praying Mantis aliens seen on DMT, are also the same aliens seen SOMETIMES in UFO abduction cases (they are usually the behind the scenes doctors, rarely making themselves seen).

To me personally, it's very important for such surveys to be broad enough to make the connection that these "paranormal" encounters (e.g. dmt, ufos, lucid dreams, ghosts etc) are all part of the same phenomenon. Jacques Vallee PhD has successfully argued about that in the '70s already. "Dimensions" (1988 ) is my favorite book of his (minus the UFO abduction opinion of his towards the end of the book, which he later recanted in the '90s).