CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
1000+ gallon aquaponics setup Options

Tak0010
#1 Posted : 4/6/2020 2:16:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've had my IBC aquaponics system for about a year now, but due to lack of reliable build information it wasn't quite right.

The biggest issue with the system I was facing was flow from my fish tanks, through my solids filter (55gal drum #1) and bio media (55gal drum #2). This is because it's only gravity bringing the water back to my sump. However, this weekend I finally got around to revamping the fish side of my system. I originally had a single 2" PVC pipe draing from each tank to my solids filter. Now, I have 3" pipes from my tanks and between the barrels.

Before uping the pipes I could only run 1 tank at medium flow before it would overflow and if I ran a second tank my 55gal drums would overflow.

Anywho

Heres the system breakdown:

4 - 275gal food grade IBC's
2 - 55gal drums (also food grade)
1 - 1/3HP 4000 gallon/hour waterfall pump
1 - 70L/min air pump
8 - 4" air stones

1", 1.5", 2", and 3" PVC pipes along with necessary elbows, connectors, and valves (a small section of 4" PVC to surround the bell siphon)
Uni-seals for sealing the pipes going through the barrels and fish tanks.

I also used caulk, hole saws, a deburring tool, and other various tools.

For the growing media, I did a lot of reading, more reading and lots of researching. IMO, expanded clay pebbles (Hydroton) is the best choice. It offers a lot of BSA (Biological Surface Area) which you cant have enough of. The clay is also 100% neutral when it come to PH. Some other medias claim to be neutral and they either aren't, or they require months to stabilize. I used 8-9 bags and prices vary depending on shipping. I was able to obtain them from a local supplier to avoid shipping.

To add more BSA I added ~2000 bio-balls to one of my 55gal drums

All said and done I've spent under $1500 in parts (including 2 LED grow lights), a lot of time, blood, sweat, and tears. Plenty of cursing and throwing objects, as well. Razz
Tak0010 attached the following image(s):
20200401_134345.jpg (2,155kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
20200404_182232.jpg (2,315kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
A lot of things lead me to the path of psychedelics, but the path to them is far less interesting than the path after them.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Tak0010
#2 Posted : 4/6/2020 2:21:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The first image is before the 3" pipe upgrade. I have to get some pics of the grow area yet.
A lot of things lead me to the path of psychedelics, but the path to them is far less interesting than the path after them.

Metta-Morpheus
#3 Posted : 4/6/2020 2:37:34 AM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

So are all those cube tanks the fish tanks?
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Tak0010
#4 Posted : 4/6/2020 2:42:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Correct. The 3 tanks against the wall are the fish tanks. The 4th tank to the left side is the sump tank.