We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Fresh worm compost as substrate?? Options

Tak0010
#1 Posted : 4/1/2020 3:22:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Every mushroom growers main priority is cleanliness, right??

Obviously, due to the fact of contamination of unwanted bacteria or fungus.

I recently started composting with worms and I can tell you those little guys are really good at what they do. So here are my thoughts, this fresh worm compost bin is located inside and is left completely exposed to air and elements. Even so, there is no bacteria or fungus (over)growing in my compost.

That being said, I think inoculating this fresh substrate with some good spores might be worth a shot.

Still a few months before I can even maybe attempt it though.

Anyone have experience or info with compost as substrate??

etenities attempt to perceive time

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SynKyd
#2 Posted : 4/1/2020 3:42:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You would probably want to start your spores on agar if you have the means, to be sure you have a chance.

Worm casing can be a useful addition to substrates, I don’t know about using them solely as your food source. Most would go spores to agar, clean agar (several transfers) to a sterilized grain jar, multiple that base through grain to grain transfers to your suiting, then mix that with a pasteurized substrate (I.e. worm casings) for the grain based food source to colonize and fruit.

I’m not saying your idea won’t work, especially in an outdoor grow it could easily produce something. Definitely take pics as you go and document the attempts if you go that path!

Love
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.