We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
STB tek --> screwed? Options

Chucky
#1 Posted : 1/18/2010 6:03:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Greetings everyone,
I've been reading a lot on the forum, although I did not post much.
I did my first attempt at an MHRB extraction using STB tek.
500g powdered mhrb, in 4200ml of water with 250g of naoh.
Those ingredients were put in a SS presto. It caused major emulsion and it turned out to form a purple foamy goo.
I've let it sit for 24 hours, and it is still in emulsion. I noticed it corroded the inside of my presto...
I think I screwed up my extraction...
I tried putting naphta in, but it didn't help... and it is not easy to extract a thin layer of naphta from a preto Razz
First attempt, first fail... any comments, suggestions ?
Thanks!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

L_Star
#2 Posted : 1/18/2010 6:23:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

water - lye make it mase then add the bark. Let sit for few days.
Do it in mason jar mayb? also pipetting the naptha off is easier if u have the tools.

When mixing make sure you do it gently end over end by hand.

Add more base to the soultion or warm it in a heat bath lighlty to make hte naptha rise to top, and help them split better. Make sure you dont have it capped and ventialtion is a must.

R&R
L
Much respect to all from L_Star

Disclaimer: EVERYTHING posted by L_Star is said from the following persons: SWIM. All are hypothetical posts and are not endorsements of any activities, beliefs, and practices stated, that may be correlated with the person stated, or another person posting, or third party user, in anyway on dmt-nexus.com. All that is said is for educational purposes and as said is "hypothetical" and therefore cannot be taken for true accounts. SWIM and L_Star abide by the Law in all practices. SWIM would like reader to note that SWIM is blind, and L_Star is a typing assistant voluntering for SWIM. L_Star is bound by legal legislation for customer privacy by Data Protection Act, therefore SWIM will not be identified.

Regards L_Star

Chucky
#3 Posted : 1/18/2010 6:44:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks L_Star,
My concern is about the corrosion happening inside my pot. I don't want to throw away 500g of MHRB... but yet, the inside of my presto is corroding, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a hole form in the side of the pot within the next hours Razz
Heading to the chemist lab supplier to grab descent material..
/noob off
Thanks Pleased

geeg30
#4 Posted : 1/18/2010 8:09:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Split your mix into two or more containers (HDPE milk jugs are fine) then add more water so that the total is around 7500ml ( an extra 3300ml), plus add another 250g of lye ( easiest way is to add the lye to the extra water).

This should cure your emulsions plus the milk jugs should help with pulling the naptha, I would use about 200ml naptha per pull.

Doing a 500g first extraction is pretty mental - better to start off low and work your way up to large extractions but since your half there then doing the above should help out.
Here you!!! Gonnaenodaethat

"Iceberg???? - What Iceberg????"

Chucky
#5 Posted : 1/18/2010 8:55:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks geeg30, I will do that.
Most teks were for 1 pound, so I thought I would go with the receipe.
I just want to make sure I wont die due to the corrosion inside the cooking pot... Laughing
Thanks again everyone!

**EDIT PS: I think it was an aluminum pot... it is wasted?**

geeg30
#6 Posted : 1/18/2010 9:34:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What's your pot made from? Aluminium's a bit dodgy - but saying that I don't think any contamination would be pulled with your naptha anyway.
Here you!!! Gonnaenodaethat

"Iceberg???? - What Iceberg????"

amrilir
#7 Posted : 1/18/2010 10:15:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

"Strong bases attack aluminium. Sodium hydroxide reacts with aluminium and water to release hydrogen gas. The aluminium takes the oxygen atom from sodium hydroxide(NaOH), which in turn takes the oxygen atom from the water, and releases the two hydrogen atoms." - Wikipedia on NaOH.

Generally, it's not a good idea to put a basic solution in an aluminium pot. Unless your goal is to etch aluminium. The only product of this reaction seems to be dihydrogen, so I'm sure you're safe as far as your spice goes, but your pot is in grave danger. I would do as geeg30 said and split your mix into HDPE or glass containers ASAP.

Chucky
#8 Posted : 1/20/2010 6:43:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the info Pleased
I threw out everything just to be safe, and yes, my pot is ruined. Major corrosion in there!
2nd attempt was done in last... and is a success.. thanks guys!

tryptographer
#9 Posted : 1/20/2010 9:49:49 PM

tryptamine photographer

Be glad it didn't leak out! Shocked
You now have some sodium aluminate in your solution, I don't know if that affects the extraction - apparently not, congrats!

Some metals are amphoteric, they can react with both acids and bases. For example aluminium, zinc, lead...