We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
GT on whole oats. Options

Yugambeh
#1 Posted : 2/17/2020 9:24:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys,

All Pf-tek jars with vermiculite and brown rice got contaminated.

But this jar with whole oats seems healthy?

/Y
Yugambeh attached the following image(s):
2C27A9F7-B818-4579-925C-648737F66059.png (4,859kb) downloaded 231 time(s).
I am like a white cloud with no destination, I place goals to trick myself in believing I have somewhere to arrive, everything is a successful goal when I realise I have already arrived.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 2/17/2020 3:47:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As mentioned in the chat, im still in my first shroom growing experiments, but from my limited perspective, it seems fine so far, gotta let it colonize fully.. Just watch out for weird smells or different colors.

And def check out agar for multi spore syringes or spore prints, to be able to properly isolate good mycelium from contaminants. Its really cool learning experiment to work with agar , and super useful Smile. Id suggest a simple Still Air Box and a simple recipe.. ive been using 10g agar 10g light malt extract for 500ml water, sterilize for 20 mins in PC. So far so good for me.

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 2/17/2020 6:05:18 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It's a bit hard to tell from the photo but the top centre (with one groat visible) looks slightly suspicious. What colour is the mycelium there? It should be white. The picture makes it look a bit grey, which would indicate contamination, although it might be down to the lighting.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Yugambeh
#4 Posted : 2/17/2020 9:00:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
It's a bit hard to tell from the photo but the top centre (with one groat visible) looks slightly suspicious. What colour is the mycelium there? It should be white. The picture makes it look a bit grey, which would indicate contamination, although it might be down to the lighting.

I checked now and it all white.

/Y
I am like a white cloud with no destination, I place goals to trick myself in believing I have somewhere to arrive, everything is a successful goal when I realise I have already arrived.

SynKyd
#5 Posted : 2/17/2020 11:31:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can shake that really good and if it recovers strong in a couple days you’re good.
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

coAsTal
#6 Posted : 2/18/2020 2:24:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SinysterKyd wrote:
You can shake that really good and if it recovers strong in a couple days you’re good.

That's colonized enough that I wouldn't recommend shaking-- what would be the point of disrupting the growth that far along?

Shaking is usually performed to accelerate growth points when the spawn is less than/= half colonized. When it's almost done already, you'd just be damaging the mycelium and slowing final colonization while it re-establishes for little benefit-- or am I misunderstanding your intention?

SynKyd
#7 Posted : 2/18/2020 2:47:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

coAsTal wrote:
SinysterKyd wrote:

That's colonized enough that I wouldn't recommend shaking-- what would be the point of disrupting the growth that far along?

Shaking is usually performed to accelerate growth points when the spawn is less than/= half colonized. When it's almost done already, you'd just be damaging the mycelium and slowing final colonization while it re-establishes for little benefit-- or am I misunderstanding your intention?

It’s not fully colonized. It’s not enough.......

It must be fully colonized to move it to the next step, if you shake it now and a contam is present you’ll know sooner and waste less energy on something that will be a toss out later. If it’s not contaminated, a shake won’t hurt a bit, mycelium is very persistent in good conditions.
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

endlessness
#8 Posted : 2/18/2020 11:53:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Also considering you generally need to shake the whole thing to remove the spawn from the jar anyways later, how harmful can it be apart from simply slowing things down for a couple of days?

Yugambeh
#9 Posted : 2/18/2020 11:58:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Also considering you generally need to shake the whole thing to remove the spawn from the jar anyways later, how harmful can it be apart from simply slowing things down for a couple of days?

I shake now and then, I have 2 jars with whole oats, 1 with with just oats (very slow colonisation) and 1 with whole oats, ground eco coffee, and powdered egg shells (almost fully colonised).

Will post pictures later.

/Y

Yugambeh
#10 Posted : 2/18/2020 11:59:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

coAsTal wrote:
SinysterKyd wrote:

I only shake the jar that is slow.

/Y

doubledog
#11 Posted : 2/18/2020 6:47:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

coAsTal wrote:
SinysterKyd wrote:

You can use shaking to test whether there is some contamination inside.
It is a selection step, healthy mycelium will recover, unhealthy no.
You do not want to continue with mycelium which can not withstand it.

RhythmSpring
#12 Posted : 2/19/2020 1:58:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think your oatmeal got moldy.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Yugambeh
#13 Posted : 2/25/2020 8:55:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,

I shaken the jar a couple of times.

It’s more white than picture the show.

No bad smell or grey or any other coloured areas.
Used organic ground coffee and powdered egg shells in the substrate.

/Y
41BFDCA4-C8B9-4858-90E7-77D2F4CD5AB9.png (5,295kb) downloaded 145 time(s).

Tony6Strings
#14 Posted : 2/25/2020 11:38:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love whole groats and steel cut oats. Way better than rolled oats. Some butter, brown sugar. A little milk. Yeah buddy.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

SynKyd
#15 Posted : 2/26/2020 12:32:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yugambeh wrote:
Hi,

/Y

So what’s your plan, ready to spawn?

Yugambeh
#16 Posted : 2/26/2020 9:31:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SinysterKyd wrote:
Yugambeh wrote:
Hi,

/Y

So what’s your plan, ready to spawn?

Hi,

1 more week and than in a BOD's Easy AF UnBODified Monotub TEK.

/Y

SynKyd
#17 Posted : 2/27/2020 3:41:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool, I am actually trying that in my next run. Amazing how times change, if that actually works!

Yugambeh
#18 Posted : 3/7/2020 8:02:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys,

Surface is drying out, mycelium is retreating, I use a portable mist/fog machine several times/day.

Should I put a layer of vermiculite to keep top layer moist?

/Y
04AA9309-718E-4123-9362-7040AEDA87BF.png (5,607kb) downloaded 98 time(s).

SynKyd
#19 Posted : 3/12/2020 7:32:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Big no to adding verm........it will do the opposite of what you’re thinking.

Mist with water once a day if dry, just to get a damp micro climate on the surface that can evaporate within 24 hours.

Yugambeh
#20 Posted : 3/18/2020 7:22:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SinysterKyd wrote:
Big no to adding verm........it will do the opposite of what you’re thinking.

Mist with water once a day if dry, just to get a damp micro climate on the surface that can evaporate within 24 hours.

Too late I've been offline so did not see your information.
I used verm and coir.

More mycelium under now, but wont grow up to the surface, should I try to get out the verm/coir layer?

Thanks

/Y

12NEXT