We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
Brain injuries and drug use Options

soulfood
#21 Posted : 1/20/2010 12:49:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I think multiple daily uses of anything that has such a noticable effect is not a good idea. Also there's so much stuff in weed. I much prefer nice hash. But even then just as a special treat once in a while.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Bancopuma
#22 Posted : 1/20/2010 1:13:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^Agreed. And the occassional joint of organically homegrown Disel Ryder does make for a tasty treat Wink

polytrip
#23 Posted : 1/20/2010 6:43:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Cannabis is very addictive and there are multiple studies that have shown this.

I don't know where someone get's the idea that this is not the case.

This is not the 60's anymore. We've actually come to know things these days.

kyrolima
#24 Posted : 1/21/2010 5:22:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

polytrip wrote:

ahahahhahahaah
Very happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

shame on you to write such nonsense!!!!

Which studies of the pharmaceutical industry did you read?

Don't think i'm writing this without experience in that area!
I smoked 2 weeks on a daily basis and now I just don't feel like smoking -> i don't smoke.
There is no addiction. And i'm speaking here for the majority of people!

Use it, don't abuse it - then there will be no chance of addiction.
elusive illusion

corridors of my cells
#25 Posted : 1/21/2010 5:45:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mr_DMT wrote:
polytrip wrote:

ahahahhahahaah
Very happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

shame on you to write such nonsense!!!!

Which studies of the pharmaceutical industry did you read?

Don't think i'm writing this without experience in that area!
I smoked 2 weeks on a daily basis and now I just don't feel like smoking -> i don't smoke.
There is no addiction. And i'm speaking here for the majority of people!

Use it, don't abuse it - then there will be no chance of addiction.

Nah i think this is nonsense my friend.. Cannabis have addiction for sure.. in long term use when u quit, stress, anxiety paranoia and similar effects occur.. and probably will need a week to pass the most depresful moments of addiction. Then numbness for another week or two, however cannabis doesnt have a physical addiction like tobacco, heroin or some other drugs.... CANNABIS IS ADDICTIVE, BUT TOBACCO IS 10-20 TIMES MORE ADDICTIVE.

SnozzleBerry
#26 Posted : 1/21/2010 5:51:34 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

there's distinctions that should be made between physical and mental addictions...

each individual has their own issues with different substances. I have gone from smoking weed every day, multiple times a day (bongs, joints, bowls, vaporizer etc.) for months to taking months off with no difficulty whatsoever (other than filling the hours with stuff, but given a job, good books, and music, that's not hard at all). On the other hand, I suffered horrific withdrawal from a 2 week period of standard percocet dosage post ACL surgery. It was miserable, my physician couldn't understand how I'd been effected as I was, but hey, all I know is that's how I was effected.

Therefore, in my experience, for my physical body, I must disagree and say cannabis is not addictive. It can easily become a habit and it's not good to have any external substance in your body with so much frequency it becomes part of your metabolism, but I'm sorry, I can't agree with the statement "Cannabis is physically addictive". As for mental addiction, everything's mental (at least to a degree), that's what differentiates the strong-willed from the weak-willed.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Kartikay
#27 Posted : 1/21/2010 6:20:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Before getting into a heated debate about whether or not marijuana is addictive, learn what addiction actually means. As with any mental condition, use the DSM-IV as your guide. The DSM-IV is what is used in court and in medicine. A pdf version of the following can be found here: http://www.dawnfarm.org/..._dependence_criteria.pdf

DSM-IV Substance Dependence Criteria

Addiction (termed substance dependence by the American Psychiatric Association) is defined as a maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring any time in the same 12-month period:

1. Tolerance, as defined by either of the following:
(a) A need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or the desired effect
or
(b) Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance.

2. Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:
(a) The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance
or
(b) The same (or closely related) substance is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.

3. The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended.

4. There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use.

5. A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance, use the substance, or recover
from its effects.

6. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use.

7. The substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent physical or psychological problem
that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance (for example, current cocaine use
despite recognition of cocaine-induced depression or continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer
was made worse by alcohol consumption).

DSM-IV criteria for substance dependence include several specifiers, one of which outlines whether substance
dependence is with physiologic dependence (evidence of tolerance or withdrawal) or without physiologic
dependence (no evidence of tolerance or withdrawal).

Marijuana has been known to commonly meet criteria #1, #5, and #6 and therefor does commonly cause substance dependence with physiological dependence. I think the "with physiologic dependence" part is dumb, because Tolerance is not something that people care about when thinking of addiction, but there it is. By definition, marijuana can cause addiction.

It does not cause addiction in everyone, and if you can smoke while not reducing any important social, occupational or recreational activities, then you do not qualify. But it does commonly impede these things. I know it sucks. I hate it too. But that's the freakin' definition.
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

kyrolima
#28 Posted : 1/21/2010 6:43:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Addiction is: If you NEED a substance to gain a status of mind/body which you wouldn't have without it.
(my definition)

cannabis gives me another perspective to life, lets me learn and accomplish wisdom.
I don't think many see it that way.
If you just take it as a mindlifting drug, sure it will bring you down sooner or later if you abuse it.
elusive illusion

SnozzleBerry
#29 Posted : 1/21/2010 7:07:54 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Well put kartikay!

Mr_DMT, while we are arguing along similar lines, I find your definition to be lacking and your attitude to be full of a certain reckless bravado. Cannabis is not a panacea nor is it healthy to keep your physical or mental self saturated in cannabinoids 24/7, 365.

There are many wonders of Cannabis, and I am usually the first to rattle of the plethora of uses, but there are side effects. That's why we take breaks, you do it, I do it, most regular smokers do it or face the repercussions (paranoia, inability to function well, general lethargy, etc.) I mean no disrespect to you, people must distinguish use from abuse in their own lives.

I would just be wary of an attitude towards any substance that potentially limits the user's ability to evaluate whether or not that substance is negatively impacting their life.

It's all in the breaks you takes...happy toking...lots of joking...and occasional respites from smoking, that's how I've always tried to do it
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

polytrip
#30 Posted : 1/21/2010 7:16:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The most important element of addiction is the mental part of it. There are multiple substances that show physical withdrawal effects, that are generally not seen as addictive, such as most anti-depressants for instance.

Cannabis however, has a physiological effect that causes mental addiction. The way cannabis affects the brain, wich is responsible for it's psycho-active effects in the first place, leads to mental addiction.

The proces is simmilar as with opiates.
It is also true b.t.w. that many people can take opiates for weeks on a daily basis, without develloping addiction. To become addicted to opiates can take months as well, and the susceptability for it varies per individual.

The same is true for cannabis.
The endocannabinoid system is a sort of natural mood-stabilizer, just like endorphins are natural painkillers.
Endocannabinoids help to protect the brain against stress.
When someone suddenly stops, who's develloped a habit, the result will very likely be: A-psychological symptoms related to stress, wich can vary from anxiety to insomnia or any combination of symptoms, B-a strong mental craving for the substance, induced by the stress symptoms and the link made in the brain between the release of stress and substance intake.

These are scientific facts.

kyrolima
#31 Posted : 1/21/2010 8:31:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
Well put kartikay!

Mr_DMT, while we are arguing along similar lines, I find your definition to be lacking and your attitude to be full of a certain reckless bravado. Cannabis is not a panacea nor is it healthy to keep your physical or mental self saturated in cannabinoids 24/7, 365.

I'm not in favour of daily use.

Addiction is a desease where the individual can not stop the use of a certain mind altering substance because his mental or physical state doesn't allow it.

Smile
hows about that definition.

By the way, after relatively short time, the brain recovers after extreme consume of cannabis. This is a scientifically proven fact, too.

If you compare Cannabis to most other drugs, especially common drugs like alcohol or cocaine where brain damage is taking place the choice of drug is really easy.
The user decides wheater a drug is good or bad trough his consuming-habits and reasons for consume.
The drugs themself aren't bad at all (i'm talking about natural drugs with long history of usage by humans).

And another point:
Science is just an excuse for an opinion.
If I wanted to PROVE you that i'm right, I'd search for studies which document my point of view. That is what all people do: They search for information which supports their view of the world Smile
elusive illusion

SnozzleBerry
#32 Posted : 1/21/2010 9:02:31 PM

omnia sunt communia!

I don't disagree with anything in the above post. I was merely commenting on what i perceived to be a reckless attitude, this post cleared that up real nice. Good definition, imo, might put something in there about addiction limiting function or functioning addicts, but thats all icing on the cake.

As to the drugs being bad...well, nothing's good or bad until you have a human to filter it through and make the judgement anyway Wink

and if you wanted to PROVE that you're right you'd only prove it to yourself and whoever believes you...so that whole statement is deliciously paradoxical and I love you for it and am in full agreement Very happy

peace
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

soulfood
#33 Posted : 1/21/2010 9:22:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Mr_DMT wrote:

By the way, after relatively short time, the brain recovers after extreme consume of cannabis. This is a scientifically proven fact, too.

Come crawling back to science eh? Pleased

I've known people to steal car stereos to be able to by some weed so I beg to differ on the other side. I can trust myself to use substances responsibly. This does not mean they're not risks for others.

polytrip
#34 Posted : 1/22/2010 4:11:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It's not 'everything goes' in science.
If you're gonna have a scientific argument about cannabis, you'll find that there are just more and stronger arguments in favor of the proposition that cannabis is addictive.

Cannabis is still a relatively safe substance, though.

But let's not confuse science with politics.
In political discussions, facts are bend and twisted and to many people the imrpession might arise that facts factual data are just tools for people to get their way, and in the end that everything goes.

But you have to believe that there is no such thing as a world that realy exists we're living in first, to truly believe that.
I would dare to say that the belief there is no reality at all, is itself nothing but a weapon as well, for a political argument, rather than that you truly believe this.
If alone because it is a contradictory belief in the first place, so that once you belief it, you must automatically accept that it is untrue.

jamie
#35 Posted : 1/22/2010 4:46:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

cannabis most certainly is addictive...and it seems that there is a physical compontent to the addictive qualities of cannabis...I mean I couldn't even eat food properly for the week after I stopped smoking it..

For me cannabis is definatily addictive where things like DMT, ayahuasca, psilocybin, mescaline actually seem anti-addictive...cannabis seems to re-inforce this addictive behaviour in some ways, whereas the true classical psychedelics do not seem to have this effect, quite the opposite actaully.

I see some of my friends and they are soo addicted to cannabis and it does effect them I can see it..they are slaves to it in ways I have never seen with mushrooms or LSD etc..

I dont have anything against peopel that smoke cannabis...people can do whatever they want..but I hear people tell me all the time that they arent addicted evne though they smoke all day and its complete bullshit..they cant evengive it up for a day and get depressed when its not there and would rather buy weed than pay rent etc...thats addiction to me..it makes me sad because I was there with cannabis and I am soooo much happier without it..once the daze of confusion cleared up that I was living in I felt alot better and stopped wanting to smoke all day long and go out and actaully do things.

After a day long mescaline trip or some aya I have no need to cannabis anyway.

I still smoke it once in a while..and I do get some benifits from using it on rare occasions..but even then its becomming less useful for me..its seems very narcotic these days which is not what im looking for.
Long live the unwoke.

Xt
#36 Posted : 1/22/2010 7:26:26 PM

I don't even know why there is a debate about this. If your not addicted to weed then that's great. But be aware that speaking for ones self is not the same as speaking for everybody.
Im not to sure what damage i may or may not have done over the last few years. But i can say that it took just over a year of sobriety to recover all my faculty's and mental agility after eating all the lsd, and the 2c's, and the mdma, and a rather intense Nitrous bender, and daily chronic weed smoking.
In fact im waiting to see what the outcome of a health issue right now that is directly linked to the use of 2c compounds.

Truth is, moderation is the first thing to remember. Secondly, so what if your happy with taking something now. Maybe even over doing it a bit. You may not feel that way a year or two later when you have developed some health problems.
Please look after your body's, and think of the long term issues.

I was once young and reckless. Im now a bit older and alot more frail. When i look back to the last three or four years, im just stunned at how insanely reckless and carefree i was. But its only after the show is over and you've grown up a bit, that you realize health IS a REAL issue.
Crazy kids.

Sorry if this turned into a rant.
Peace and good health to all.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

universecannon
#37 Posted : 1/22/2010 11:10:33 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

OP you should be fine if you try cannibis or tryptamines, but check with your doctor first anyway.

Cannibis physically addictive? pleaseee show us some studies that point to this..My parents are addicted to tv, many are. My friend got addicted to cocaine, he also seemed mentally addicted to marijuana before coke. Marijuana is DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE, and i think it really depends on the person. I know many who seem addicted to it. But on the other hand many people I know who smoke for years quit for a few months with no problems, depression, withdrawls, no negative affects at all. I've smoked for years and smoke off and on now, sometimes everyday for weeks, sometimes not for weeks, and have never been even close to addicted. I enjoy taking a good break. This is why I think its in how you use it that is a big determining factor in your mental/physical reaction to stopping. You guys are acting like marijuana is causing damage to your brain.

Its like getting in a car, you can drive it around in circles..or off a cliff..or on top of the mountain. I also like bills quote-"I could do anything I normally did just as good while high but pot made me realize it wasn't worth the fucking effort."

Smoking too much can cause the burn out affect, but if your lazy in the first place then you already had that coming anyway.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

kyrolima
#38 Posted : 1/23/2010 12:21:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I hope you are all capable of adding 1+2 and conclude that there are more studies "AGAINST" cannabis because the industry finances these studies.
Cannabis is one of the safest drugs in the world.
Of course, some people might get addicted, but we are speaking of MILLIONS of people doing it. If a few thousands get addicted - where the fk is the problem.
These people would certainly get addicted on any other drug of their choice.

A drug addict is a drug addict.
A drug benefiter, is a drug benefiter,
an abuser is an abuser
a seeker is a seeker.
elusive illusion

gammagore
#39 Posted : 1/23/2010 12:26:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It was alot easier for me to kick my terrible cocaine habbit than it was to kick my weed habbit.

I suppose each to their own. Weed seemed to be quite addictive to me in a subble kinda way.

kyrolima
#40 Posted : 1/23/2010 12:32:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gammagore wrote:
It was alot easier for me to kick my terrible cocaine habbit than it was to kick my weed habbit.

I suppose each to their own. Weed seemed to be quite addictive to me in a subble kinda way.

That statement makes me think a little bit, but i think that the majority of people has a different experience. In general people will be more likely to quit weed than cocaine. Would you subscribe that?
elusive illusion

PREV1234NEXT