We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cannabimimetic plants - scientific paper Options

downwardsfromzero
#1 Posted : 1/23/2020 11:20:05 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Don't know if this has been mentioned here already, but this was a very interesting read. IMO it provides valuable pointers on the psychoactivity of nutmeg, and 'space paste' blends - not to mention a whole host of other things to do with phytotherapeutics.

Kumar, A., Premoli, M., Aria, F., Bonini, S. A., Maccarinelli, G., Gianoncelli, A., … Mastinu, A. (2019). Cannabimimetic plants: are they new cannabinoidergic modulators? Planta.

doi:10.1007/s00425-019-03138-x

https://doi.org/10.1007/s00425-019-03138-x

Quote:
AbstractMain Conclusion Phytochemicals and secondary metabolites able to interact with the endocannabinoid system (Can-nabimimetics) have been recently described in a broad range of plants and fruits. These findings can open new alter-native avenues to explore for the development of novel therapeutic compounds.

The cannabinoids regulate many physiological and pathological functions in both animals and plants. Cannabis sativa is the main plant that produces phytocannabinoids inside resins capable to defend the plant from the aggression of parasites and herbivores. Animals produce anandamide and 2-arachidonoyl glycerol, which thanks to binding with main receptors such as type-1 cannabinoid receptor (CB1R) and the type-2 cannabinoid receptor (CB2R) are involved in inflammation processes and several brain functions. Endogenous cannabinoids, enzymes for synthesis and degradation of cannabinoids, and CB1R and CB2R constitute the endocannabinoid system (ECS). Other plants can produce cannabinoid-like molecules such as perrottetinene extracted from Radula perrottetii, or anandamide and 2-arachidonoyl glycerol extracted from some bryophytes. Moreover, several other secondary metabolites can also interact with the ECS of animals and take the name of cannabimimetics. These phytoextracts not derived from Cannabis sativa can act as receptor agonists or antagonist, or enzyme inhibitors of ECS and can be involved in the inflammation, oxidative stress, cancer, and neuroprotection. Finally, given the evolutionary heterogeneity of the cannabimimetic plants, some authors speculated on the fascinating thesis of the evolutionary convergence between plants and animals regarding biological functions of ECS. The review aims to provide a critical and complete assessment of the botanical, chemical and therapeutic aspects of cannabimimetic plants to evaluate their spread in the world and medicinal potentiality.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

dragonrider
#2 Posted : 1/27/2020 2:06:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is relevant to consider that THC is actually a pretty weak cannabinoid. THC is only a partial cannabinoid agonist. Noone has ever died from a THC overdose because of this.

But there have been lethal overdoses from some of the synthetic cannabinoids. Full agonists have proven to be extremely addictive, and also neurotoxic.

And there is the infamous medical trial with an inhibitor of the enzyme that breaks down endocannabinoids, that resulted in the deaths of a couple of test subjects. Some of them also suffered severe brain damage.

The difference between partial and full cannabinoid agonists seems a bit like that between coca leaves and crack. Or maybe kratom and fentanyl.

I don't know what category anandamide would fall in, but it is probably a good idea to be somewhat cautious.

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 1/31/2020 11:50:18 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
it is probably a good idea to be somewhat cautious.
It's a basic maxim of experimental phytotherapeutics.

The FAAH inhibitor trial fatalities might seem to suggest that anandamide build up could be more dangerous than glutamatergic neurotoxicity. It would be necessary to examine any conclusions there are about this incident before accepting that as an hypothesis, of course.

Back to the plants, meanwhile, it's fascinating - but perhaps not entirely unexpected - how a huge range of medicinal plants have some level of interaction with the endocannabinoid system. The ECS is so very ancient, however, it would be more of a surprise if this wasn't happening.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Lemon Flip
#4 Posted : 1/8/2021 8:00:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone with any experience with any Radula species?

I remember looking into psychoactive lichen for a while and I ended up smoking a species which I initially thought was a xanthoparmelia, but now I am unsure. It was slightly active with noticeable mood lift and mild relaxation. Obviously Radula species aren't lichen, but there seems to me to be some very interesting discoveries waiting to be found in diminutive plants and lichens.

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 1/8/2021 11:12:07 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Lemon Flip wrote:
Anyone with any experience with any Radula species?

I remember looking into psychoactive lichen for a while and I ended up smoking a species which I initially thought was a xanthoparmelia, but now I am unsure. It was slightly active with noticeable mood lift and mild relaxation. Obviously Radula species aren't lichen, but there seems to me to be some very interesting discoveries waiting to be found in diminutive plants and lichens.

There is a thread on psychoactive lichen: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=18193

This post gives some information about Radula species.
Here's someone's summary of their experience with Radula.