We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Does DMT glow under UV light? Options

benzyme
#1 Posted : 1/10/2020 5:51:48 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yes.

Tryptophan and tryptamine, as well as several of its derivatives, absorb strongly @ 280 nm, it is the wavelength of max. abs. observed in UV spectroscopy.
These were samples in hexanes, 365 nm.
benzyme attached the following image(s):
600327904.323076public.JPG (27kb) downloaded 147 time(s).
57888796377__6022D7B7-7363-43AF-B0BB-76221514DDDB.JPG (2,450kb) downloaded 142 time(s).
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 1/10/2020 6:05:10 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

5-MeO, also in hexanes
600327908.760647public.JPG (42kb) downloaded 135 time(s).
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Tony6Strings
#3 Posted : 1/10/2020 6:18:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Note to self- 1: Obtain UV lamp. 2: Smoalk moar.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

m4estr0
#4 Posted : 1/10/2020 10:08:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What is the look of those liquids under normal light? Fully transparent or milky?

I guess it will work equally well for dissolved DMT salts in acid?

Can an ordinary ghetto chemist use a UV light to get a clue about DMT concentration?

Does the UV light destroy a small portion of the DMT?

benzyme
#5 Posted : 1/10/2020 2:26:39 PM

analytical chemist

m4estr0 wrote:
What is the look of those liquids under normal light? Fully transparent or milky?

hexane? hexane has no pi-bonds (double-bonds), thus it does not absorb UV.

Quote:
I guess it will work equally well for dissolved DMT salts in acid?

yes

Quote:
Can an ordinary ghetto chemist use a UV light to get a clue about DMT concentration?

only qualitatively

Quote:
Does the UV light destroy a small portion of the DMT?

no.

m4estr0
#6 Posted : 1/10/2020 4:22:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
m4estr0 wrote:

No I meant the same hexane DMT solution under non-UV light.

Decent!

benzyme
#7 Posted : 1/10/2020 4:27:19 PM

analytical chemist

m4estr0 wrote:
benzyme wrote:
m4estr0 wrote:

No I meant the same hexane DMT solution under non-UV light.

they appeared clear under normal light. if they were cloudy white, they would glow more intensely under UV; so as you inferred, some observations regarding concentration can be extrapolated from the intensity of the fluorescence. This is the fundamental principle behind UV/fluorescence spectroscopy.

benzyme
#8 Posted : 3/5/2020 12:30:56 AM

analytical chemist

Cool
IMG_7718.jpg (2,453kb) downloaded 80 time(s).