We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A report on natural psychoactive substance-related exposures at United States poison control centers Options

downwardsfromzero
#1 Posted : 1/9/2020 7:35:30 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Did know quite where to put this.

A recent report on "Natural psychoactive substance-related exposures reported to United States poison control centers, 2000-2017."
Quote:
Abstract

Context/Objective: To investigate the epidemiology of exposures to psychoactive substances of natural origin in the United States.Methods: Data from the National Poison Data System were retrospectively analyzed to investigate exposures to psychoactive substances of natural origin.Results: From January 1, 2000 through December 31, 2017, there were 67,369 calls to poison control centers in the United States regarding exposures to natural psychoactive substances, equaling an average of 3,743 exposures annually. Individuals >19 years of age (41.4%) and 13-19-year-olds (34.8%) accounted for most exposures with the highest annual rate reported among 13-19-year-olds at 79.4 per million population. The substances most commonly involved were marijuana (46.9%), anticholinergic plants (21.1%), and hallucinogenic mushrooms (15.6%). Kratom, khat, anticholinergic plants, and hallucinogenic mushrooms were the substances with the highest percentages of hospital admission and serious medical outcomes. The overall rate of exposure to natural psychoactive substances per million population increased significantly by 74.1% from 17.6 in 2000 to 30.7 in 2017 (p < 0.001). This increase was driven by a significant 150.0% increase in the rate of exposure to marijuana from 9.9 in 2000 to 24.7 in 2017 (p < 0.001). Despite this overall increase, most substances showed a significant decrease in exposure rate from 2000 to 2017, except for marijuana, nutmeg, and kratom. Kratom demonstrated a significant 4,948.9% increase from 2011 to 2017 and accounted for 8 of the 42 deaths identified in this study.Conclusions: While rates of exposure to most natural psychoactive substances decreased during the 18-year study period, rates for marijuana, nutmeg, and kratom increased significantly.

Paper attached.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Metta-Morpheus
#2 Posted : 1/9/2020 9:50:57 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

this is why I feel plants shouldn’t be illegal, though I’m sure the point of it is otherwise. I’ve had numerous meaningful, pivotal experiences as a young adult with mushrooms and cannabis. If there was less taboo and more education and acceptance of these things, that age group could pull a lot of good from those plants. I feel the problem is that these kids, as I was, are doing them in hiding from their parents, or just go wild, fresh on their own. You know, I’m going to johnnys, johnnys comer over to my house, but really we both go to mikes house because his parents are gone. 😉 So this increases the risk of stupid kids doing stupid things on substances they may not fully understand. And from personal experience, I had a frinend when I was 18 that took some shrooms with his girlfriend and brother. None of them had done them before, and they only did maybe 3g each. He ended up freaking out and the brother and girlfriend called 911. 3000 dollar ambulance ride later, and they just kept him while he rode it out. If they had been educated, or someone experienced was around, things probably would have ended without being in that statistic.
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

RoundAbout
#3 Posted : 1/10/2020 9:10:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Specifically including hairy clustervine (Jacquemontia tamnifolia) seemed odd to me. Salvia species (which they specify is the Lamiaceae family) rather than just divinorum is a bit odd too... is that intended to include children eating catnip or what?

Interesting paper... there's some bad parents out there. 346 children <6 yo ate peyote? Shocked