We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Fasting is like taking Harmalas, eh? Options

RhythmSpring
#1 Posted : 1/9/2020 5:15:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This study might confirm my suspicion that fasting has similar effects to taking a RIMA (reversible MAOI) like Syrian Rue or Ayahuasca vine.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Another related study:

"Intense fasting inhibited [Siddhartha] Gautama's MAO activity; eating rice pudding constituted an intake of dietary tryptophan with carbohydrates. Carbohydrates trigger insulin release, which increases unbound tryptophan while reducing levels of competing amino acids at the blood-brain barrier. These effects allow significant amounts of tryptophan into the brain, where it converts into serotonin. Without MAO, serotonin does not degrade, and methyl-transferases convert excess tryptophan and serotonin into endogenous psychoactive tryptamines."
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Tony6Strings
#2 Posted : 1/9/2020 1:07:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My hat is off to those who are able. Every time I try to skip food for a day, say in order to take cactus or pharma, I become so hungry that I eat the entire contents of my fridge before I am finished tripping. I have crazy fast metabolism and seems like I loose ten pounds if I skip a meal or catch a cold. I don't think fasting is the way for me.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Metta-Morpheus
#3 Posted : 1/9/2020 2:18:20 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

I am the definition of hangry. I’m not a nice person when I’m past a certain point. I would have a hard time making it past lunch.
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 1/9/2020 3:28:00 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
"Intense fasting inhibited [Siddhartha] Gautama's MAO activity; eating rice pudding constituted an intake of dietary tryptophan with carbohydrates. Carbohydrates trigger insulin release, which increases unbound tryptophan while reducing levels of competing amino acids at the blood-brain barrier. These effects allow significant amounts of tryptophan into the brain, where it converts into serotonin. Without MAO, serotonin does not degrade, and methyl-transferases convert excess tryptophan and serotonin into endogenous psychoactive tryptamines."
This goes a long way towards explaining some of the effects I've experienced from simple foodstuffs.

While not specifically related to fasting, lately I've also been thinking about FAAH/MAGL inhibition with respect to endocannabinoids and how foodstuffs might present significant experiential differences when certain enzymatic pathways are 'primed' prior to their intake. This can turn something as apparently mundane as a fried egg on toast with tomato ketchup into a surprisingly potent psychoactive experience.

Empathising with you both, T6S & Metta-Morpheus, while some days turn out to be spontaneous fast days quite smoothly, at those times where fasting has been my conscious decision more often than not the hangriness comes to the fore. It would seem prudent to ensure a safe space is available when setting the intention for fasting in that way.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

FranLover
#5 Posted : 1/9/2020 6:40:15 PM

Long live the world in peace, prosperity, and freedom from suffering

Thats cool. I fast regularly and drink Aya regularly, and I think I see this a bit. Generaly I drink Aya/mugwort/lemonbalm/catnip/chamolile, or any tea really, while fasting and its great to be there in silence and feel the plant's specific effect. The times I fast and dont drink Aya and have nothing in my system, not even tea, and I am totally pure in that sense, I can feel the effects of the fasting; by its very nature fasting is a beautiful thing, totally uniting one's soul with that beauty that is existence. It puts things in perspective. Its cleansing mentally and physically. I always say the same thing into a 12hr fast "I should do this always! Holy cow this is fantastic." And Aya is very similar. Five or eight hours, or even 24hs, after having had a cup of Aya (generally while fasting) I grow. I learn things. Its very obvious, you say "wow, aya does magic. I dont know what it is, but its pure. It cleans the mind, develops it. Its like a doctor." Its a very special thing
Todo lo que quiero es que me recuerdes siempre así...amándote. Mantay kuna kayadidididi~~Ayahuasca shamudididi. Silence ○ Shiva ◇ eternal Purusha.
What we have done is establish the rule of authority in silence. Silence is the administrator of the universe. In silence is the script of Natural Law, eternally guiding the destiny of everyone. The Joy of Giving See the job. Do the job. Stay out of the misery.
May this world be established with a sense of well-being and happiness. May all beings in all worlds be blessed with peace, contentment, and freedom.
This mass of stress visible in the here & now has sensuality for its reason, sensuality for its source, sensuality for its cause, the reason being simply sensuality.

Jega
#6 Posted : 1/9/2020 9:42:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Careful - breaking your fast in the wrong way after an extended fast (I'm talking about more than a couple of days here) can be extremely dangerous if not fatal. I would not recommend chomping on a rice pudding as a way to break an extended fast.

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 1/10/2020 2:58:42 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Jega wrote:
Careful - breaking your fast in the wrong way after an extended fast (I'm talking about more than a couple of days here) can be extremely dangerous if not fatal. I would not recommend chomping on a rice pudding as a way to break an extended fast.

True. After a summer of raw food a portion British fish and chips nearly killed me.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Tony6Strings
#8 Posted : 1/10/2020 3:12:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Fish and chips drowned in lemon and vinegar sounds really good right now. This thread is making me hungry.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Infundibulum
#9 Posted : 1/10/2020 4:41:35 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

RhythmSpring wrote:
EDIT: Another related study:

This is not a study - The Medical Hypotheses journal publishes non-peer-reviewed articles such as the like, often wild speculations. I mean, yeah, nice story but to be taken with a grain of dmt salt.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

RhythmSpring
#10 Posted : 1/10/2020 4:56:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
This is not a study - The Medical Hypotheses journal publishes non-peer-reviewed articles such as the like, often wild speculations. I mean, yeah, nice story but to be taken with a grain of dmt salt.

Thanks for the clarification.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken