We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Customs want to turn my cactus into The Hulk! Options

Fakkz
#1 Posted : 1/15/2010 11:03:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So a while ago I ordered 250 grams of fine Peruvian for my first Mescaline extraction and experience.

I got a letter in the mail saying that customs has declared it did not meet Australian standards. But by completing the attached Payment Notice I can arrange for AQIS to give it
Gamma Irradiation Treatment.

So if I pay the $42.50 to nuke the cactus, will it destroy the alkaloids, or otherwise make the extraction futile?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

jamie
#2 Posted : 1/15/2010 11:06:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

wholy shit...thats rough..gamma radiation for your cactus..

Maybe just check out the cactus section at the plant store?...australia sounds so weird.
Long live the unwoke.

w0mbat
#3 Posted : 1/16/2010 2:07:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am not a chemist or radiologist or nuclear physicist... but I don't think gamma radiation can have any effect on dead plant matter. Just make sure that no radiation will be leftover in the cactus when you receive it and there should be no worries. I'm guessing they'd have to tell you if it was no longer food safe after irradiation
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

sillysyban
#4 Posted : 1/16/2010 3:27:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey man, If you decide to get it done and all goes well can you please let me know. I have been thinking about doing this for some time now. Also if yeild is good maybe you can PM me with vendor details. Cheers mate.
Fractal Enchantment. Australia has insanely tough quarrantine laws. we are not THAT weird. Maybe just a bit.
THERE ARE 10 KINDS OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.
THOSE THAT KNOW THE BINARY SYSTEM AND THOSE THAT DONT.

Espiridion
#5 Posted : 1/16/2010 10:29:15 PM

--who.??..ME??--

Gamma irradiation is used to simply sterilize plant matter and is done quite frequently. It should not harm the alkaloids in any way. It is a bit of a stiff price, I will say that. The government makes its dime however it can, eh?

Good luck and hope the yields are worth it!!

E
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens. Carl Jung

Fable
#6 Posted : 1/21/2010 6:02:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would be very careful with this, what was ordered is a prohibited import, just because AQUIS want to sterilise it doesn't mean it won't get passed on to customs after it has been sterilised.
I spent the last 6 years collecting and growing sacred cactus so as not to get in a situation where I would have to order from overseas.
If it gets through without getting red flagged then all well and good however If you are continually bringing in stuff like this you could find yourself in some hot water.
Grow your own and get high off your own supply.
I am a leaf on the the wind, watch how I soar!

Infundibulum
#7 Posted : 1/21/2010 1:01:32 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Espiridion wrote:
Gamma irradiation is used to simply sterilize plant matter and is done quite frequently. It should not harm the alkaloids in any way. It is a bit of a stiff price, I will say that. The government makes its dime however it can, eh?

Gamma radiation sterilises by means of inflicting molecular damage to the potential cells/pathogens/whatever. The main aim is to inflict lesions and (lethal) mutations on the DNA but in general everything else within the cell will be messed up. This includes alkaloids. For once, food-sterilised products are known to have plenty oftheir vitamins destroyed.

Espiridion why do you believe that "it should not harm the alkaloids in any way"? This sounds too bold a statement to even be true. It seems that you do not know how gamma sterilisation works.

In my opinion i'd be wary of the material yet it'll be nice to extract it and see what comes out of it!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

soulfood
#8 Posted : 1/21/2010 1:54:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Imagine.. mutoid mescaline. Smile

You may end up extracting TMA2 Very happy... imagine that!

Fable
#9 Posted : 1/21/2010 4:12:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mesc will be fine. The radiation will destroy bacteria by annihilating the DNA by breaking bonds and forming free radicals which further degrade the DNA structure.
The bonds in Mesc will be fine, its pretty robust stuff.
I am a leaf on the the wind, watch how I soar!

Infundibulum
#10 Posted : 1/21/2010 4:15:06 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Fable wrote:
Mesc will be fine. The radiation will destroy bacteria by annihilating the DNA by breaking bonds and forming free radicals which further degrade the DNA structure.
The bonds in Mesc will be fine, its pretty robust stuff.

Reference please or use better argument.

Fable wrote:
its pretty robust stuff.

Robust against what? try baking it a 500 celsius and see what you get. gamma radiation is even more hardcore than that.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Astralking
#11 Posted : 1/21/2010 4:54:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love how no claim can be made without evidence on this site. I just love this site!

Did the letter not state a reason it needs "Gamma Irradiation Treatment"??
No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

'Coatl
#12 Posted : 1/21/2010 5:29:45 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Quote:
I would be very careful with this, what was ordered is a prohibited import, just because AQUIS want to sterilise it doesn't mean it won't get passed on to customs after it has been sterilised.
I spent the last 6 years collecting and growing sacred cactus so as not to get in a situation where I would have to order from overseas.
If it gets through without getting red flagged then all well and good however If you are continually bringing in stuff like this you could find yourself in some hot water.

THANK YOU! Your basically importing 250g of drug powder (as in the eyes of customs and the government) I've said it before and I'll say it again!

STOP BEING LAZY, GROW YOUR OWN CACTUS AND STOP ORDERING DRIED CACTUS BEFORE Y'ALL GET IT MADE ILLEGAL!!!!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

antichode
#13 Posted : 1/21/2010 8:26:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

'Coatl wrote:
Quote:

THANK YOU! Your basically importing 250g of drug powder (as in the eyes of customs and the government) I've said it before and I'll say it again!

STOP BEING LAZY, GROW YOUR OWN CACTUS AND STOP ORDERING DRIED CACTUS BEFORE Y'ALL GET IT MADE ILLEGAL!!!!

I agree as well. Its one thing to order dried powder off the net in the UK or US, its another thing to do it in a country like Australia or New Zealand. What you are trying to order is viewed as a class A substance. Do your self a favoor and make sure you dont have any chemicals or solvents sitting round the house, and hopefully you have been using a proxy to view these sites because customs or the police will eventually come knocking on your door if you keep ordering cactus powder from overseas.

I know that seems very paranoid and harsh but its the reality Im afraid.

There are so many live Pachanoi and Peruvianus (and Peyote if you look hard enough) to be found on all your local trading sites and from stores. Not only will it work out cheaper for you to obtain this way it will be much safer and far more fulfilling in the long run. You will be able to find metres and metres of cactus online locally if you have some patience.

Seven
#14 Posted : 1/21/2010 9:11:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You could prob grow some nice specimens out in sunny Australia.
The universe is an infinite harmony of vibrating beings in an elaborate range of expansion-contraction ratios, frequency modulations, and so forth.

Frenzal
#15 Posted : 1/21/2010 10:57:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

@Astral King- The OP may correct me, but here in the antipodes we're very into protecting our agriculture and environment from all the nasty things that haven't yet made it to our islands. We call this 'bio-securtity' and I bet it's the reason for the irradiation.

gammagore
#16 Posted : 1/21/2010 11:04:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So maybe some cation should be taken when importing substances into aus and nz. Also be very carefull with cultivating plants that are not found in those regions. You dont want to screw around with the eco-system, they can be very fragile when new species are introduced.

Also watch out for them customs.