We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Eagle torch lighter Options

Tony6Strings
#1 Posted : 11/16/2019 7:20:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A regular (Bic type) lighter doesn't work very efficiently with the GVG. Torch lighter is the way to go. I bought a Zico (turboflame arc knockoff type) and it worked really well for a couple days, but then, the flame reduced in size from about an inch and a half to less than a centimeter at highest setting, and doesn't light properly but every five or six clicks. Garbage, definitely not the correct tool for vaping spice.

I've had this Eagle torch lighter for a while. Was gifted to me. Just bought another yesterday. The silicone slicks are glow in the dark which is awesome looking when blasting off in a dark room. Neon lime green is my very favorite color. The max flame on the new torch is longer than the old one, as soon as I lay my hands on some eyeglass screwdrivers I am going to take apart the top of the old one and adjust the flame slightly higher.

With flame maxed out the new Eagle is perfect for use with the GVG. Five bucks and change at any gas station or smoke shop (although you may have to hunt around a bit for one with the glow in the dark slick, I know I did). Love this as a tool for vaping spice. The new one is staying in my gvg kit, the old one I carry with me because every time I use to light a smoke I am reminded of the places it has helped me go. Learn, Share and Expand! Love.
Tony6Strings attached the following image(s):
IMG_20191116_104807_hdr.jpg (471kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
IMG_20191116_105002_hdr.jpg (463kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Metta-Morpheus
#2 Posted : 11/16/2019 10:42:39 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

Funny you posted this. I was just thinking last night about asking if a bic would work on a gvg. I didn’t because I figured if I spent a few minutes I could dig it up on here somewhere. I just didn’t have the gumption to actually look. And here, you present the answer without the question being asked. Oh how the universe works!
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

coAsTal
#3 Posted : 11/16/2019 11:34:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've used standard Bic lighters for years--- they are 100% effective if used properly.

That said, torch lighters are faster to heat the ceramic for sure.

Tony6Strings
#4 Posted : 11/17/2019 2:41:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You can use a Bic with the gvg. Just not nearly as effectively as a torch lighter. The first ceramic filter is about 3/4 inch below the rim of the glass top, it's enough distance to where I've had trouble with the Bic going out (if you hit it with intention it is very easy to snuff out the flame with the airflow). IMHO if you are using a gvg and want the optimum experience, torch lighter is where it's at. That being said, I'm one little human with precious little experience compared to the wealth of knowledge hanging around this place. coAsTal, please will you share some wisdom tips on how to use a Bic to fire up the gvg?
olympus mon wrote:

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Tony6Strings
#5 Posted : 11/17/2019 2:43:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I say first ceramic filter because I have a healthstone placed in the bowl of my gvg. Just thought I would clarify before I confused anyone.
olympus mon wrote:

coAsTal
#6 Posted : 11/17/2019 5:00:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's nothing fancy-- you just focus on where to keep the flame-- keep the tip juuust above the ceramic-- and slowly, evenly pull in.

I can attest after literally thousands of uses that it works every bit as well as a torch, and can get more than hot enough to burn your leaf/spice.

I think what trips most people up is regulating their inhale speed properly more than flame placement though (unless you have a weak lighter that doesn't have the ability to reach the heat element, you're usually just resting the thing @ the rim of the GVG as you pull)-- you just have to pull rather slowly while the flame is on-- to really make sure only the hottest of air is traveling thoroughly past/through the herb--or in your case a healthstone-- mentally I kinda imagine it like it's liquid instead of heat I'm pulling into the pipe, pulling juust fast enough to draw it over my leaf without making it swirl around or compact too much.

If you pull too fast, you're going to pull in more cool air than can be heated and will get an inefficient hit-- as you're overcoming the ability of the flame to heat the ceramic with too much air coming in and simultaneously cooling it--

This isn't as much of a concern with a torch because it's highly directed and so hot-- but that also invites burning spice more far readily than with yellow flame. (Although I have definitely set my leaf ablaze with a regular lighter through the ceramic plenty of times, when I'm really laying it on-- it's all about knowing when to quit)

I've used my GVG with matches successfully-- so I guess what I'm trying to say after all is that all flames work-- so long as you get the flame close to the ceramic foam and pull at the right speed for that flame to heat the air well-- there's a reason thousands of people just use a regular lighter-- but hey, I like using my torch sometimes too-- not a hater, for any good method.

Tony6Strings
#7 Posted : 11/17/2019 6:58:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you very kindly for this, I will give the Bic some more practice!!
olympus mon wrote:

Egzoset
#8 Posted : 11/17/2019 8:09:04 AM

Vaporist of Borg

Salutations Tony6Strings,

The Glass VaporGenie never tempted me because it would have proven just too fragile, hence my preference for the Classic-look Aluminium and/or Bronze Sherlock instead: quite obviously those are much more forgiving in case of a mishap...

Initially yellow flames were a problem too, because that's a sign of incomplete combustion, so i switched to blue torch flames as soon as i managed with VG's wood tops. At 1st by reconfiguring the core, then by replacing wood with metal.

Combining Dual/Converging Torch flames with Hybrid Cores installed inside All-Metal tops provides access to a time-compressed experience that no longer conforms to VG's original method and ritual.

Although my customized VG pipes remain compatible with the yellow flame of ordinary butane lighters there's no going back, nor would i have the lungs & skills for a slow/steady scenario, though i must admit the GVG offers eye-contact on a flame's tip which i found necessary as well, so it's why i had to create flexible PVC Tubing Extensions...

My Pre-Heating phase only involves minimal inhalation force barely sufficient to avoid self-extinction from accumulating exhaust gases in the Flame-Catching Funnel, while injection of Fresh-Air right above my bowl protects its noble load until the SiC Front Puck turns Dim-Red.

Once the flame has been removed i can use temporarily-stored energy to perform an actual inhalation phase, still with the benefit of portable self-moisturization. Compared to VG's original design this allows me to operate a device i never managed to control otherwise, briefly put the task gets greatly simplified once its applications range is expanded and made less critical.

This configuration works best when a heat "burst" is powerful enough and yet brief enough to maximize the approximation of a thermal valve alternating between 2 states: idle vs airflow. On another hand it don't know if it works as well with substances other than dry cannabis, YMMV...

Pleased

My Vector KGM Arsenal still works correctly after a couple years, idem for the Volt, quite possibly a consequence of relying on 2 ~ 3 seconds flames at most. The Apollo model added flame convergence which feels quite suitable for my prupose but i got the impression it won't be as reliable, which is probably one good reason why i can't find it on the manufacturer's web site anymore (discontinued??). So, when an opportunity shows up i'll want to try their IronFist instead (with 3 converging flames!); at that point it's safe to assume i won't need to evaluate tabletops.

Of course such products are significantly more expensive than jetables, most unfortunately, but fun/pleasant to own & use if lucky and careful not to clog them with poorly filtered fuel - which ain't appropriate for an inhalation path in any case.

Good day, have fun!! Cool