We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Growing Cacti Options

Xt
#1 Posted : 1/13/2010 5:56:25 PM

Swim wants to cultivate some beautiful cacti. Swim found a 'Peyote 6cm multi headed (about 20 heads forming)'
Is this for real? Swim didn't realize multi headed peyote even existed.
But if you guys verify the legitimacy of this, then Swim may end up purchasing and cultivating this beautiful specimen.

Also, Swim is thinking of purchasing a T.peruvianus & a T.pachanoi.
But swims only concern is being sold mis identified specimen. Are these cacti easily identified?
Swim would share with anyone the supplier/vendor with anyone that wants to know, just pm me and i will ask swim.

How difficult are these cacti to cultivate and grow? Swim already has 2 small cacti of unknown specimen without incident.
Once they were left alone for 3 months over summer (vacation) and upon returning swim found some tiny bugs/mites on the cacti.
But they were removed by hand with a small pair of tweezers. No trouble has been had since then.

If you as me, i think swim is looking for some encouragement about vendors selling the advertised specimens and ease of cultivation.

PS: Are peyote/pedro difficult to cultivate from seed? Do they take long to mature? How are they bred/multiplied?

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Phlux-
#2 Posted : 1/13/2010 6:05:43 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

yeah the multiheaded one is a caespiota
find a trusted vendor who knows their stuff
and they are easy to grow - very easy - far less demanding than most plants
they are all very easily grown from seed - to speed things up the seedlings can be graphted to pereskiopsis giving many years growth per year
cuttings can continiously be taken from adult cacti
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Xt
#3 Posted : 1/13/2010 7:12:04 PM

In that case, can anyone recommend a trust worthy uk cacti vendor.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

#4 Posted : 1/13/2010 7:42:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That Peyote sounds wonderful - get it, but I bet it's expensive, as it is probably 20 years old!

I have been growing Peyote from seed for years and my oldest has 3 heads now. They don't take much in the way of maintenance, but they are difficult to get to grow at any kind of speed. Some of mine grown from seed are about 4 years old now and still only 1cm across. They are VERY slow growers, but I don't have them in ideal conditions. My big Peyote flowers 3-4 times a year and seeds once per year.

To get a decent size one, under good conditions, will take approx 10 years from seed. If you are looking to grow them in order to harvest mescaline, grow san pedro or similar as they grow much much faster. (unless you graft, as said above) I only grow the peyote for the joy of it. I planted a san pedro last year, so maybe I'll harvest that one day.

T.peruvianus & a T.pachanoi are not too difficult to ID, but they can be mistaken, just like anything else I guess.

I don't know any online vendors I am afraid, I got mine from a garden centre. The advantage to this is they are much cheaper from a garden centre, as they are just sold as normal cacti, so don't command the premium that online head shops etc. sell them for. My nearest gardn centre sells 2-3cm peyote for £2.00! Most of the staff don't know what they are :-)

You are in the UK, right? I know a lot of garden centres because of my work, so if you live near London PM me and I will let you know where to get them.

Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Phlux-
#5 Posted : 1/13/2010 8:17:39 PM

The Root

peyote from seed can be slow - i have ungraphted 1 year old babies that are 1cm across and graphted babies that are 1 year old and the size of a squash ball with 6 pups( and its not even a caespiota)
graphting is a must.
antrocles wrote:

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:

Quote:

#6 Posted : 1/13/2010 8:48:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds like I am going to have to give it a try then Phlux! Is it difficult? What species do you use as the host cactus? Any recommended sites that have a guide?

I bet you can get some freaky / wonderful looking plants from graphting.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Xt
#7 Posted : 1/13/2010 9:10:27 PM

Im north uk.. very north. Looking to get a selection of cacti tbh. Growing a peyote for me is not really about mescaline.
I do fancy growing a whole family of peyote tho. Are they hard to grow from seed?

― Terence McKenna

Phlux-
#8 Posted : 1/13/2010 9:36:14 PM

The Root

pereskiopsis spathulata for seedlings, torches, pedro and blue myrtle for bigger ones.
check http://lophophora.blogsp...earch/label/Pereskiopsis and utse.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Phlux-
#9 Posted : 1/13/2010 9:37:38 PM

The Root

not mine -

antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

#10 Posted : 1/14/2010 12:24:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That looks brilliant Phlux. I will do one of mine as soon as the seasons allow!

xtec - as stated, they are easy to grow from seed, they just grow very slowly.
Sic transit gloria mundi

'Coatl
#11 Posted : 1/21/2010 12:11:36 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Order the Trichocereus from Sacred Succulents.

Most multi-headed peyote are caespiota, but not all of them, the really old ones of all types get multiple heads.

Cacti are really easy to grow, even from seed, just slow.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb