We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Microbes and Other Shamanic Beings, book Options

grollum
#1 Posted : 9/17/2019 10:16:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just discovered this very interesting sounding book and I am wondering if any of you had the chance to have a look inside? A digital copy would be awesome as well. Is the book providing what the title is promising?

Microbes and Other Shamanic Beings
César E. Giraldo Herrera

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323661314_Microbes_and_Other_Shamanic_Beings

Description:
Shamanism is commonly understood through reference to spirits and souls. However, these terms were introduced by Christian missionaries as part of the colonial effort of conversion. So, rather than trying to comprehend shamanism through medieval European concepts, this book examines it through ideas that started developing in the West after encountering Amerindian shamans. Microbes and Other Shamanic Beings develops three major arguments: First, since their earliest accounts Amerindian shamanic notions have had more in common with current microbial ecology than with Christian religious beliefs. Second, the human senses allow the unaided perception of the microbial world; for example, entoptic vision allows one to see microscopic objects flowing through the retina and shamans employ techniques that enhance precisely these kinds of perception. Lastly, the theory that some diseases are produced by living agents acquired through contagion was proposed right after Contact in relation to syphilis, an important subject of pre-Contact Amerindian medicine and mythology, which was treasured and translated by European physicians. Despite these early translations, the West took four centuries to rediscover germs and bring microbiology into mainstream science.
Giraldo Herrera reclaims this knowledge and lays the fundaments for an ethnomicrobiology. It will appeal to anyone curious about shamanism and willing to take it seriously and to those enquiring about the microbiome, our relations with microbes and the long history behind them.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

hug46
#2 Posted : 9/17/2019 11:04:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I like the look of this. If i am understanding this correctly then i have had similar thoughts concerning entity contact being directly related to our body's personal biosphere.

Hard copies appear to be around 90 euros and digital 55 euros.I did find a preview with a table of contents and the first 27 pages. I'm gonna give em a read..

edit sorry that preview link doesnt seem to work. Try below

https://books.google.fr/...nepage&q&f=false

grollum
#3 Posted : 9/18/2019 6:47:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I like this, too.

Thanks for finding parts of the book. The table of contents looks promising in my eyes.

I am asking myself if there is also the idea of invading microbes which you can only find in the amazon for example. So that different places cause different entities.

Hard copies are quite expensive so will first read the preview before deciding to buy.

I am wondering if this idea was discussed before in this forum?

hug46
#4 Posted : 9/18/2019 11:33:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

grollum wrote:

I bought up the subject about body biosheres and entities a few years ago but no one jumped on board so i kept my thoughts to myself as it was just a fanciful theory with no real empirical data.

Quote:
I am asking myself if there is also the idea of invading microbes which you can only find in the amazon for example. So that different places cause different entities.

This is also interesting. My take on the various god like entity archetypes - Shiva, Anubis etc was that they were related to our ancestral DNA. What you see with regard to entities, or any other kind of weird stuff, depends on where your ancestors originate from.

RoundAbout
#5 Posted : 9/19/2019 3:42:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

grollum wrote:

There was a post about this book earlier, and it linked an article written by the author: https://kahpi.net/ayahuasca-shamans-microbes-visions/